• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
This conversation feels like deja vu. Nobody here is going to be convinced that a $5k sub is legit. It's just too stupid for someone to sell at that price to make logical sense. I suppose there is a 5% chance it's real and you could get a steal of a deal, but you're not going to convince anyone of that.
I have no need to "convince" you or anyone else that a watch is "real". After all, i'm not trying to sell it to you.

I asked if it was a good deal. and the noise of those who scream fake tell me that it's a great deal.
Thank you.

Resale of fakes can close a business here.
They must be able to prove authenticity. or they won't buy it from the original seller.
So i am 99% confident in the quality and authenticity of any item i am looking at.

edit, i agree with most of what @Journeyman said above, but i doubt you are going to find a good deal in the expensive parts of Tokyo. or at a watch fair in Ginza
But if you checkout other cities, as journey man agrees, the luxury used market is saturated and affordable.
Yes, last year i posted a Rolex with a red writing on it and everyone went nuts screaming fake.
It was around $8,500 iirc.
meh, I'll still hold out until i can afford a Millgauss most likely. but you never know. . . .

Last edited:

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only way to guarantee you’re getting something real is to buy it from an authorized dealer who in turn procured their watches from the manufacturer. If I’m buying a watch for thousands and even tens of thousands of dollars, that’s all I will settle for.

By the way, “experts” are fooled all the time:

ultimately these are personal decisions. I am old enough and fortunate enough financially that the extra cost of buying from an AD is worth my peace of mind.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't recall seeing much here about Grand Seiko, other than some remarks about ass-kissing from Hodinkee. GS announced 7 new models, including four more of their "seasons" editions that have GMT hands.

Top-image-scaled.jpg

Not sold on the GMT hands with these dress-style watches. I tend to like the dials on the green and white of those models (first and fourth in the photo), but the 24-hour numerals kill it for me.

This one looks okay, if you can stomach a $59,000 (!) price tag:

View attachment 1562336

Not sure about this:

View attachment 1562338

No:

View attachment 1562339

Pretty underwhelming on balance. I was disappointed, as I have recently become pretty interested in some of Grand Seiko's offerings, specifically the SBGW231 and to a lesser extent the Snowflake, although something about the power reserve indicator on the dial bothers me. I was hoping these new models would be a little more interesting.

Feel free and dismiss my comment.

I like the way Grand Seiko's look but for the price I just would look elsewhere as their brand outside of watch enthusiasts gets associated with your general Seiko. I am definitely not a show off when it comes to watches but for their asking price there are better options.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like the way Grand Seiko's look but for the price I just would look elsewhere as their brand outside of watch enthusiasts gets associated with your general Seiko. I am definitely not a show off when it comes to watches but for their asking price there are better options.
No reason to dismiss it, I'm not brand loyal to GS, nor do I have any emotional investment in them. I just like the aesthetic of many of their offerings, especially the (boring) SBGW231. I'd love to check out some better options, probably in the $4k-6k range or so, although any such purchase would probably be 3rd in line, at best, as to what my future watch plans are.

Idesofmarch17

Reaction score

I generally agree, but I am a huge fan of some of the dials, including the Autumn dial. No other dial I have seen gets that wood vibe right, but I just wish it was a little more sporty with such a sporty color dial.

1614367753645.png

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the complication, I’m not certain I like the size - how big is it?

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No reason to dismiss it, I'm not brand loyal to GS, nor do I have any emotional investment in them. I just like the aesthetic of many of their offerings, especially the (boring) SBGW231. I'd love to check out some better options, probably in the $4k-6k range or so, although any such purchase would probably be 3rd in line, at best, as to what my future watch plans are.

same sentiment but far further than 3rd for me.

I generally agree, but I am a huge fan of some of the dials, including the Autumn dial. No other dial I have seen gets that wood vibe right, but I just wish it was a little more sporty with such a sporty color dial.

View attachment 1563286

that is pretty

In other news, I found the perfect strap for my Speedy. Leffot makes this great strap in bourbon shell cordovan. 20mm at the lugs but tapers to 16mm at the buckle.
View attachment 1563345 View attachment 1563346

not digging the strap, metal bracelet looked better IMO

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not digging the strap, metal bracelet looked better IMO

This isn't really directed at you or George, but I would say the choice in speedy strap is largely a reflection of the wearer's preferences. I suppose that's not unique to the Speedy but it seems especially versatile with very little that is right or wrong in an absolute sense. I don't like the look of the stock bracelet (I tend to think any bracelet with whatever you called the polished link edges on the Speedy and the GS's posted recently to be fussy) so I've only worn mine on straps. I might consider putting my Speedy on a bracelet if it was fully brushed either in an oyster style or with the new link shapes, but I don't like busy bracelets like they've used the last few decades.

I've had mine on perlon (typically black) lately which I think suits it well but isn't for everyone. I wouldn't wear it on a lighter colored leather strap but I can see why other's might enjoy that look.

[not my picture]

c3ea3c116e8510d04ac881dbce53a5ed.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics