• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Sure, I believe you when you say there is no allure for you and it's just a transaction. But for others allure and professional customer service matters. Matters enough they don't mind spending a little more to deal with polite, professional, knowledgeable people.

You bought a Rolex. Did the salesperson know the difference between a Submariner, Sea-Dweller and GMT ? If I ask about a tourbillon or perpetual calendar watch and the salesperson says I don't know what those features are and nor do I care, but here is the price....... I don't want to buy from that salesperson.
Once i walked into an AD and said look at me.
I am not going to buy a Rolex today but can you please explain to me why i would want such an expensive thing?
The dude was super cool, explained the heritage, the quality, showed me some skeleton backs to see the jewels. explained the workmanship. The dude sold me a watch. at some time in the future. He had passion for the brand. and convinced me that it's a quality product more than simply a "Brand".
I would personally like a Millgauss. To hand down to my son. (i want him to be an engineer)
That can wait until i have the funds. But i am sold.

That said, is 5k good for a recent sub?

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Breitling (boutiques), have been receiving emails about this the last couple of days: Available as pre-order. Thoughts?

I like the old Breitling Top Time watches and this version does look quite nice, with a little pop of colour, too.

However, I don't like Deus (even though it was started by Dare Jennings, an Aussie who was also one of the founders of Mambo) so it's a definite pass for me.

I do, however, find it mildly amusing to see people walking around wearing shirts with "DEUS" printed in large letters while probably having no idea what it (or the phrase "Deus ex machina") actually means.

ronscuba

Reaction score
Once i walked into an AD and said look at me. I am not going to buy a Rolex today but can you please explain to me why i would want such an expensive thing?
The dude was super cool, explained the heritage, the quality, showed me some skeleton backs to see the jewels. explained the workmanship. The dude sold me a watch. at some time in the future. He had passion for the brand. and convinced me that it's a quality product more than simply a "Brand".
I would personally like a Millgauss. To hand down to my son. (i want him to be an engineer)
But that can wait until i have the funds. But i am sold.

Nice story.

We all have a choice on what we buy, where we shop and what people we like to deal with.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the old Breitling Top Time watches and this version does look quite nice, with a little pop of colour, too.

However, I don't like Deus (even though it was started by Dare Jennings, an Aussie who was also one of the founders of Mambo) so it's a definite pass for me.

I do, however, find it mildly amusing to see people walking around wearing shirts with "DEUS" printed in large letters while probably having no idea what it (or the phrase "Deus ex machina") actually means.
They make nice looking motorbikes, but it’s just not a cross branding that makes sense to me.

I like the original Top Time watches too, I considered one for a while till I got my Colt.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once i walked into an AD and said look at me.
I am not going to buy a Rolex today but can you please explain to me why i would want such an expensive thing?
That can wait until i have the funds. But i am sold.

A prescription is warranted.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Breitling (boutiques), have been receiving emails about this the last couple of days: Available as pre-order. Thoughts?

i think i like it, but am certainly not in the market for another breitling.

View attachment 1562257

I’m not a big Breitling fan and this watch does nothing to change that. I’m not really a fan of co-branding on anything. Sort of like those Tod’s “Ferrari” branded loafers which I don’t think should be sold, but rather included with the purchase of a new Ferrari.

It also looks like it’s trying a bit too hard to be retro, so I’ll allude to the rich hipster comment above.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m not a big Breitling fan and this watch does nothing to change that. I’m not really a fan of co-branding on anything. Sort of like those Tod’s “Ferrari” branded loafers which I don’t think should be sold, but rather included with the purchase of a new Ferrari.

It also looks like it’s trying a bit too hard to be retro, so I’ll allude to the rich hipster comment above.
Certainly no breitling fan. My sisters previous gift has set me up for a lifetime announcements. My preferred jeweller is an agent.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m not really a fan of co-branding on anything. Sort of like those Tod’s “Ferrari” branded loafers which I don’t think should be sold, but rather included with the purchase of a new Ferrari.

Speaking of Ferrari, even though it's arguably the most desirable and collectible car brand, it seems to have struggled to find a good co-branding partnership with a watch company.

The Ferrari/Girard Perregaux and then the Ferrari/Panerai watches never took off and usually sold for less on the grey/secondhand market than the regular versions. Then they had a go with Hublot but that ended last year, or the year before. I don't really pay any attention to what Hublot is doing, but I don't recall seeing anything about their Ferrari models.

I recently saw that Ferrari and Richard Mille have teamed up together - I wonder whether that will be a more successful collaboration?

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Nice story.

We all have a choice on what we buy, where we shop and what people we like to deal with.
The guy was upfront. I was well dressed. but obviously not a customer. Just a walk by.
But the humility an earnestness of the salesman sold it.

I read so many posts about dealing with AD's and waiting lists, etc.
And i always go back to that time.
I wore an Ebel then. So not poor.
but not able to swing a Rolex.
Customer service can make or break a purchase.

Last edited:

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently saw that Ferrari and Richard Mille have teamed up together - I wonder whether that will be a more successful collaboration?

that would make more sense given RM’s connection with motor sports.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The guy was upfront. I was well dressed. but obviously not a customer. Just a walk by.
But the humility an earnestness of the salesman sold it.

you actually did him a favor and gave him a chance to work on his pitch and salesmanship so you didn’t waste his time.
Also, it gave him a chance at developing a potential relationship with a future customer.

Think like the sales associate, not the customer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads