• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've heard if you bring it in for service w/o the bracelet that they will let you order a new one...but I think they're like $1-2K for the oystersteel ones. I do know that when they replace a bezel or something like that they keep the old part to minimize part availability on the open market.

obviously haven't verified myself, YMMV

my understanding, and this is from an authorized service center, is that if parts are swapped out, that Rolex asks for the old part in exchange for the newer one. Now, that’s probably not much of an issue with a newer watch. I’m not sure how it would work for one that’s vintage, particularly if the part is one that is on the dial.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've heard if you bring it in for service w/o the bracelet that they will let you order a new one...but I think they're like $1-2K for the oystersteel ones. I do know that when they replace a bezel or something like that they keep the old part to minimize part availability on the open market.

haven't verified the bracelet part myself, YMMV
RSC can replace a bracelet during a service
That's awesome news!

kaizerpi

Reaction score
Wow, a lot of hate towards Hodinkee. At the very least, they've made being interested in watches way more accessible, even if it does create a single taste as determined by the editorial team at Hodinkee. I also like what some other properties like Worn & Wound have done by with lower-cost watches. As for coming up with a business model, you could view their e-commerce work as just digitizing and bringing some online production value to what Tourneau essentially does in-store, and at least Hodinkee's tastes are much more refined than some of the Tourneau branded watches and products...

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What difference it would make? I prefer to focus on getting the item I want at the price right for me.

Enjoy shopping!!
If part of the allure of buying from an AD is the entire experience, then for some it may enhance the experience (and thereby their enjoyment of it all) if the salesperson is conversant about the item beyond just the price. Not right or wrong, just different.

my local AD offered me this today and I just had to get it. No purchase history, just a few walk-ins over the last couple years. Pretty cool piece.
So jealous. That is the #1 piece that I want right now. I'm planning on maybe getting one for myself as a 40th birthday present to myself in 3 years. Might need to get on the list or whatever now. I want to buy new from an AD, and not pay over MSRP. And I'm willing to wait for what I want. I wonder if prices on the 216570 will drop if they do release an updated model this April and if so, by how much.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my local AD offered me this today and I just had to get it. No purchase history, just a few walk-ins over the last couple years. Pretty cool piece.

Congrats! Definitely, one of the most underrated watches in their collection. I happened to walk into an AD that had one in the showcase 2 years ago. I tried it on and bought it on a whim, figuring if I don't like it I could sell it or trade it. However, I really like it a lot, and I kept it. Its great looking, very practical, and a bit different than the Sub, GMT , and SD with its brushed steel bezel rather than a rotating bezel. Congrats again and enjoy it! :cheers:

PS...mine says hello

Last edited:

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If part of the allure of buying from an AD is the entire experience, then for some it may enhance the experience (and thereby their enjoyment of it all) if the salesperson is conversant about the item beyond just the price. Not right or wrong, just different.

So jealous. That is the #1 piece that I want right now. I'm planning on maybe getting one for myself as a 40th birthday present to myself in 3 years. Might need to get on the list or whatever now. I want to buy new from an AD, and not pay over MSRP. And I'm willing to wait for what I want. I wonder if prices on the 216570 will drop if they do release an updated model this April and if so, by how much.
it's funny how the game works, I wasn't even wanting it anymore but a year ago I really wanted it and it never came :) I inquired about a rose gold day date in olive dial, so maybe he wanted me to stay loyal. but who knows, this is the first time any AD actually delivered for me, before it was always disappointments one AD after another.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's funny how the game works, I wasn't even wanting it anymore but a year ago I really wanted it and it never came :) I inquired about a rose gold day date in olive dial, so maybe he wanted me to stay loyal. but who knows, this is the first time any AD actually delivered for me, before it was always disappointments one AD after another.
If only the AP Boutique showed you the same love.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've just put my name out there with a local AD for a different brand watch. This is the first time I've done this, so we'll see how it goes. I'm assuming this can maybe act as a springboard for that polar white Explorer in the future. They're also an AD for a few other brands I like (not Cartier though, unfortunately) and carry jewelry that my wife would probably actually like, so maybe it will all work out.

Glad the Explorer worked out for you, wear it in good health.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've just put my name out there with a local AD for a different brand watch. This is the first time I've done this, so we'll see how it goes. I'm assuming this can maybe act as a springboard for that polar white Explorer in the future. They're also an AD for a few other brands I like (not Cartier though, unfortunately) and carry jewelry that my wife would probably actually like, so maybe it will all work out.

Glad the Explorer worked out for you, wear it in good health.
buy jewelry from them, that's a great way to start a relationship especially if it's local and not like AP in Las Vegas that requires a plane ticket :) check in every other month or so. 3 years is a longtime, I think you have a good chance.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The AD is a local family owned independent place, second generation current owner. My SA is the third generation (oldest grandson of founder). First question he asked is if I was local... Yep, and my office is a 5 minute walk from the shop. And I realized they go to the same church as I do, too, so maybe I'll pull that card next time I stop in.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if prices on the 216570 will drop if they do release an updated model this April and if so, by how much.

One used to be able to count on that with Rolex, but it doesn't seem to happen much anymore, at least not with sports models.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I got my Rolex from what many consider one of the most elite ADs in the world - Wempe in NYC.

Believe me from personal experience.....there is no allure or lore involved - it’s just a transaction. But the denial and delusions of grandeur are so real that most people here will argue against this point til no end. So let’s leave it at that.

Happy watch hunting!

ronscuba

Reaction score
I got my Rolex from what many consider one of the most elite ADs in the world - Wempe in NYC.

Believe me from personal experience.....there is no allure or lore involved - it’s just a transaction. But the denial and delusions of grandeur are so real that most people here will argue against this point til no end. So let’s leave it at that.

Happy watch hunting!
Sure, I believe you when you say there is no allure for you and it's just a transaction. But for others allure and professional customer service matters. Matters enough they don't mind spending a little more to deal with polite, professional, knowledgeable people.

You bought a Rolex. Did the salesperson know the difference between a Submariner, Sea-Dweller and GMT ? If I ask about a tourbillon or perpetual calendar watch and the salesperson says I don't know what those features are and nor do I care, but here is the price....... I don't want to buy from that salesperson.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads