• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not? I still need to know what time it is. I think covid is actually a reason to treat yourself to wearing things that make you happy.
I’m actually getting my first “nice” watch any day now.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am new to watch buying/collecting.

I was perusing youtube researching sizes, models, etc.. Came across a guy who was talking about hot in demand watches. He had a guest on who was a watch broker. Watch guy brought up watch design, details and how it can affect demand. Broker guy says I don't know about that stuff nor do I care. All I care about is it can make me money trading. Such a turn off. Guy sounded like he was dealing drugs.
Well the broker's pay is based on the spread of of the bid/ask. He's probably not a watch collector and just finds watches as his job and not some pursuit of a hobby.

ronscuba

Reaction score
Well the broker's pay is based on the spread of of the bid/ask. He's probably not a watch collector and just finds watches as his job and not some pursuit of a hobby.
True, but it would be nice and expected that a broker be familiar with the products they are selling/trading. I'd rather buy from a broker that knows what he is selling and at least pretend to be enthused/excited, vs. I don't know what that is nor do I care, you want it, this is the price.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True, but it would be nice and expected that a broker be familiar with the products they are selling/trading. I'd rather buy from a broker that knows what he is selling and at least pretend to be enthused/excited, vs. I don't know what that is nor do I care, you want it, this is the price.

My advice would be to make sure you do your own research. Someone you're working with might seem knowledgeable, but you'd be surprised at what some of them say about a piece.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there's no feelings in business.......rule nombre uno.

it's funny how people hate on others for making a profit but they themselves would never reduce their own pay......

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, agreed. I also like the fact that the SD (as well as the ND Sub) comes only one way. With the Sub Date, it comes in SS, two-tone & full gold, along with dial variations. The SD seems „purer,“ though I am sure many will disagree with me on that. With that said, I‘d totally rock a YG Sub if I could afford one!

I wish I had picked up a SD4000. It is a „transitional“ piece, I believe, since it had the 40mm maxi-case, ceramic bezel (with full minute markers) + matte dial. It was a handsome watch and they discontinued it after just a couple of years and then the current 43mm one came out.

Yes, the 40mm SD 4000 was a transitional model. I remember it. A few guys here really liked it, and one bought it. I think again the substantially higher price than the Sub kept demand limited when it was new.

I think your argument about they SD, No Date Sub, (maybe even the Explorers) being pure sports watches as they were only ever offered in steel, is something some people would agree with. Although, more recently Rolex introduced a steel and gold SD. Also, makes me wonder what an Explorer II would look like in all gold.

The yellow gold Sub is a pretty bold piece, but I like it. My Dad had one for about 10 years, but traded it toward another watch.

I've met several people who start out in a job selling and working with very interesting and high end products. Sadly many have said after a while it's just a job. It seems like a rare few who truly love what they do and still have a passion for the products even after being in the industry for many years.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

this is a common attitude I’ve run across with many a stripper. $20 don’t get ya what it used to!

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• iw500714.png
    iw500714.png
    275.2 KB · Views: 46

ronscuba

Reaction score
there's no feelings in business.......rule nombre uno.

it's funny how people hate on others for making a profit but they themselves would never reduce their own pay......
??? Nothing wrong with making a profit. I prefer to buy from someone that knows about the product they are selling.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
??? Nothing wrong with making a profit. I prefer to buy from someone that knows about the product they are selling.
What difference it would make? I prefer to focus on getting the item I want at the price right for me.

Enjoy shopping!!

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I buy a vintage rolex, is it possible to get an OEM bracelet for it?

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I buy a vintage rolex, is it possible to get an OEM bracelet for it?

I've heard if you bring it in for service w/o the bracelet that they will let you order a new one...but I think they're like $1-2K for the oystersteel ones. I do know that when they replace a bezel or something like that they keep the old part to minimize part availability on the open market.

haven't verified the bracelet part myself, YMMV

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics