• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think of buying a SS sports Rolex like getting a COVID shot. You can jump the line if you're in the right place at the right time.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right, but at least there’s a rationale/business case to those scenarios and bumping them to the top of the waitlist. I just don’t see the logic in forgoing those who have inquired and are waiting in favor of someone who has no experience/relationship/sales history

It’d be like if a President overlooked his fundraisers, campaign staff, and political allies and just give an ambassadorship to someone he ran into at a rally once who said they were interested in Europe

when I went to a large AD recently to inquire about a no-date sub, they didn’t mention a list but did take my contact info down and said they would get in touch when they could procure one for me. I won’t blame them if they take care of their big dog clients or deep pocket enthusiasts first, but I would be pissed if they offered it right on the spot to someone who came in off the street, who may have not even been looking for that specific model, before reaching out to me.

yeah it’s pretty odd I agree. I’m happy for @-Skyfall-. I’d just love to know the back story as to why it was just offered like that.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t remember who said that the new Speedy should have had a deployant clasp with a micro-adjustment system similar to that used on the Seamaster. This picture of an IG account (not mine) illustrates my rebuttal to that point of inquiry:
View attachment 1560629

It was me. I think the new bracelet is an improvement, but the Seamaster clasp is simply better. Seems like they could have added that pretty easily. Its not uncommon for me to adjust the bracelet through out the day while I'm wearing it, so it is a huge benefit in my book.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was me. I think the new bracelet is an improvement, but the Seamaster clasp is simply better. Seems like they could have added that pretty easily. Its not uncommon for me to adjust the bracelet through out the day while I'm wearing it, so it is a huge benefit in my book.
Fair point. For what it’s worth, I owned the Seamaster and I like this version better. Thinner, lighter, don’t feel it against a desk as much. I see your point, though.

dan'l

Reaction score
Maybe the Seadweller is less popular than the Sub and there is a shorter "line"?
I was thinking the same thing. Don‘t get me wrong - I love the SD and have an older one myself, but it seems that most people go for a Sub / GMT / Daytona first.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. Don‘t get me wrong - I love the SD and have an older one myself, but it seems that most people go for a Sub / GMT / Daytona first.
Well, it has to be said, any watch that is handy for 1200m+ dives is not an everydayer, particularly if you are in a custom shirt cuff. I know my dress shirts could not contain more than a 11-12mm high wristwatch.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
when I went to a large AD recently to inquire about a no-date sub, they didn’t mention a list but did take my contact info down and said they would get in touch when they could procure one for me.
That's how it was for me last week when I asked an AD about a different watch. The first question the SA asked was whether I was a local, and then he just took down my name and cell number after chatting for a while about a few different watches. He never mentioned a "list", just said he'd be on the lookout for a shipment and they'd "help me out". It's my first foray into this quasi-waitlist thing.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
******* snooze-fest with this ****:
3FBA0A48-BB7A-448B-B85D-21496FC9C138.png

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it has to be said, any watch that is handy for 1200m+ dives is not an everydayer, particularly if you are in a custom shirt cuff. I know my dress shirts could not contain more than a 11-12mm high wristwatch.

Shouldn’t your custom shirts have a bigger cuff on your watch arm for this very reason?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@George Red beat me to it. Nice watch, but I have no interest. I'm better off saving the $7,250 it costs anyways. I had a dream (nightmare?) last night that I tried to buy the watch but couldn't get through, LOL.

Collaboration sold out in three minutes.

Last edited:

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the Dato looks great. I took a pass though The Skipper is enough for me. Nice to see they kept it pretty limited. Hodinkee's stock sold out in about 4 minutes after I refreshed, but Tag boutiques probably still have some unclaimed.

-Skyfall-

Reaction score
I generally dress more casual so it works fine for me. Also have a 7.3” wrist so it honestly doesn’t wear that big on me. I’m really enjoying it. If I need anything smaller I can always put on my aqua terra or two tone sub. But after having both the sub and the sea dweller I think I actually like the bigger size. Could be recency bias though lol Gonna be my everydayer for sure.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads