• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t dive, but I wear my Submariner backpacking, fishing, canoeing, Kayaking, etc.
Ha! Good on you!

I don't fish, but for the rest Garmin has overtaken steel sports watches for me because it saves me from taking a backup GPS (a convenient one that does not need to e.g. get out of the drybag whilst in the waves). They've gone a long way since their unreliable, low battery life early days, but it definitely isn't a generational watch. For kayaking I could probably give it up, but it's been invaluable cycling and hiking especially when there's no reception and the trail disappears into nondescript undergrowth.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Actually, Porsche started in Stuttgart and first made cars and tanks in Germany before and during WWII. The Austrian factory opened after the war.

Different firms/entities, though.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ha! Good on you!

I don't fish, but for the rest Garmin has overtaken steel sports watches for me because it saves me from taking a backup GPS (a convenient one that does not need to e.g. get out of the drybag whilst in the waves). They've gone a long way since their unreliable, low battery life early days, but it definitely isn't a generational watch. For kayaking I could probably give it up, but it's been invaluable cycling and hiking especially when there's no reception and the trail disappears into nondescript undergrowth.

Yeah, I can’t say I’ve ever used a gps device in the outdoors so I don’t feel like I’m missing out. I carry an inReach when backpacking but only for emergencies, not routefinding.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, Porsche started in Stuttgart and first made cars and tanks in Germany before and during WWII. The Austrian factory opened after the war.

Porsche did contract work and consulting for other companies in Germany. They didn't build their own cars there until many years later.

The first sports cars to bear their own name were built in a saw mill in Gmund Austria in 1948. Even old Porsche catalogs state this and often have a photo of the old saw mill. Porsche didn't move production of its sports cars to Germany until the early 1950s. The first 356 serial 356.001 known as the first Porsche was built in Austria. https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/201...isode-13-sports-car-dna-356-gmuend-19078.html

Last edited:

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All mechanical watches are functionally obsolete (though astronauts still wear mechanical Speedmasters because battery-powered watches can’t operate in the cold of space). So, design based on actual use is moot.

But in the context of classic/traditional dress, the only context in which the distinction between a dress vs. sport watch matters anymore, a dress watch should be discreet and slimly proportioned.

Further, even not caring about the above, a watch larger than it needs to be is a compromise to function, being both heavier and bulkier than necessary. People can buy whatever they want and fashions favoring larger versus smaller watches will come and ago, but ultimately functional/rational considerations will persist.

The problem with a 41mm Oyster Perpetual is that it is suboptimal for traditional dress and yet sized for fashionability over function. The only cross-section of buyers left are people who subscribe to short-term trends (namely, towards bigger watches).

The fact that the Submariner and Explorer are both smaller and more rugged than the OP41 merely highlights all of the above in plain sight.

This is a lot of words to portray your opinions as facts. A 41MM OP or Datejust just isnt a big watch anymore, especially when they wear smaller than the measurement. Even you agree with this and are just talking **** at this point. If you didnt agree with this you wouldnt have bought a 36MM dress watch with a movement made for a 34MM watch.

Also, the Submariner is now 41MM for better or worse, so theres that...

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve never understood the cyclops lens on the sub. The sub is the quintessential dive watch. It’s primary function is to inform the diver of the time he has spent at depth. Any feature on the watch that may interfere with that seems counterproductive.

I used to dive and I can tell you, sometimes visibility is not that great.

The ability to the tell date is non-essential.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it 2021 already? If so, then it's been 30 years since I bought this:

1611800162831.png

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the photos! The Namiki pens always looked beautiful to me, although back when I still used pens (*whinge whinge* "when I still had hair" *whinge whinge*) I also was working in more conservative workplaces and had to stick to conservative plain designs... As time passes there is less and less justification for a decent pen, even my government forms are filled in PDF and printed with a scanned signature and the banks have switched to 2FA. I've not put ink on paper for months.

Yes, the Namiki pens are really impressive. I like their designs more than the dial of the BWF watch, but maybe they work differently or better to my eye on a pen than a watch dial. Thankfully I never got into collecting pens, since I put them down and lose them all over the office and I have terrible penmanship.

Are there still people stateside who use their Rolex for sports?

Sure, I've worn Rolex watches for various sports. I've worn GMT and an 16570 Explorer II for swimming, tennis, racquet ball, and even high impact activities in which technically one should not wear a watch such as target shooting (9mm, .45, and .357 magnum), hitting golf balls at a driving range, and hitting balls in a batting cage. Never had any issues with either watch.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nice!

any occasion? Or just wanted a nice watch.

Just wanted a nice watch, using some saved up funds from my first bartending job. Had it as my only watch for nearly 20 years, before evil internet influences had me experiencing with Panerai (a PAM 177, since sold on) and IWC (a Mark XV, here to stay).

Allwhitebuffies

Reaction score
So guys, I joined in on the GME stuff and made a nice chunk so I am going to buy the day-date ii.

obviosuly this watch is not made anymore and I need to buy it used.

Does anyone have recommendations on where to look in nyc? Just bobs and torneau? Anywhere in the diamond district at all or just stay away?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads