• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All of my watches are on the simple side aesthetically speaking, which is why I think I like this one

I really like this watch, especially since it doesn't have Arabic numerals (JLC was using a very boring font for years when they did Arabic numerals). I think it's a great watch, but personally I'm more drawn to the Reverso Tribute watches.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Alright, calling on all sharp eyes. Below are photos of a Patek 5170 I’m looking at. It’s one of the last available new from an authorized dealer. It is overseas so I can’t inspect in person.

Is it just me or does it look like the case might have been polished/refinished? The edges of the lugs appear ever so slightly softened. Or it could just be the photo / lighting. Or my paranoia.

Also, looks like there might be some hairline scratches on the bezel.

It is 2015 production. Dealer has had it for five years, which makes me worry about handling and shop wear.

Thoughts?

View attachment 1540751

View attachment 1540752

View attachment 1540753

Minor update: the store is going to send the 5170G to Patek in Geneva for “restoration to stock condition”. If the scratches are light enough they can remove without disturbing the edges and profile of the case, they’ll do a light polish. If not possible, they will replace the case.

Now we are negotiating price.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I don’t think much or try to divine the intentions of the manufacturer. Something either appeals to me or it doesn’t.

Assuming one can get the oyster perpetual, the price point is actually quite fair and reasonable.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I guess I don’t think much or try to divine the intentions of the manufacturer. Something either appeals to me or it doesn’t.

Assuming one can get the oyster perpetual, the price point is actually quite fair and reasonable.

It’s not about intentions. It’s about design coherence and rationality. The OP is a sporty/casual watch that should be wearable in place of a dress watch in most cases. The Sub and Explorer are “professional” tool watches for rugged, active use. There is zero reason for the former to be bigger than the latter.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Minor update: the store is going to send the 5170G to Patek in Geneva for “restoration to stock condition”. If the scratches are light enough they can remove without disturbing the edges and profile of the case, they’ll do a light polish. If not possible, they will replace the case.

Now we are negotiating price.

I'd rather they just replace the case.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s not about intentions. It’s about design coherence and rationality. The OP is a sporty/casual watch that should be wearable in place of a dress watch in most cases. The Sub and Explorer are “professional” tool watches for rugged, active use. There is zero reason for the former to be bigger than the latter.

Though they are offering it in several sizes.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd rather they just replace the case.

From what I understand, you don’t get to pick. Patek will assess the case for whether it can return it to stock condition without replacing it. The work they would do is not the same as when you send a watch in for polishing.

I’m happy to go with whatever Patek says makes things right. The downside with a full case replacement is that it would cost the dealer more and hurt my ability to negotiate on price.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is everything offered for sale in good taste?
Of course not. But taste is a relative matter. I like the new oyster p. I may decide against it if and when I ever put it on my wrist, but for now I like it.

I’m not sure how that comports with anyone’s sense of taste, nor do I particularly care.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Of course not. But taste is a relative matter. I like the new oyster p. I may decide against it if and when I ever put it on my wrist, but for now I like it.

I’m not sure how that comports with anyone’s sense of taste, nor do I particularly care.

1611777415585.jpeg

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I tend to like smaller watches for the most part, or at least I dislike large watches. The DJ41 doesnt wear as large as its dimensions suggest, and I actually think it looks better proportionally than the 36. I also think the blue dial is the pick of the options and offers a really interesting composition.

The new OPs arent great, especially the ones you referenced are pretty garish, and I cant imagine a scenario where I would choose one over a DJ41. The outgoing, white dial OP39 on the other hand was pretty close to the ideal one watch, so I assume Rolex is planning a white dial Explorer in the near future to take that place.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tend to like smaller watches for the most part, or at least I dislike large watches. The DJ41 doesnt wear as large as its dimensions suggest, and I actually think it looks better proportionally than the 36. I also think the blue dial is the pick of the options and offers a really interesting composition.

The new OPs arent great, especially the ones you referenced are pretty garish, and I cant imagine a scenario where I would choose one over a DJ41. The outgoing, white dial OP39 on the other hand was pretty close to the ideal one watch, so I assume Rolex is planning a white dial Explorer in the near future to take that place.

I tried on the DJ 41 this week and I agree that it doesn't appear large, or at least, no one would describe it as large when worn.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics