• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My AD offered me that watch and I turned it down without thinking twice.

Maybe you should have thought a full two times.

7053EF6A-F532-4933-A7E2-C3C227EE5C59.jpeg

3995CAEE-EC8D-4273-B94C-CCCB75014B51.jpeg

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe you should have thought a full two times.

View attachment 1543989

View attachment 1543990
On a serious note, you know what annoys me about the 5205, 5726, and the 5396? The way the hands are centered and placed on the dial in a way that DIRECTLY interrupts the moonphase and date function. It looks so cluttered and messy. Like Patek didn't realize the complication discs were too big until they pinned the hands down on the dial.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a serious note, you know what annoys me about the 5205, 5726, and the 5396? The what the hands are centered and placed on the dial in a way that DIRECTLY interrupts the moonphase and date function. It looks so cluttered and messy. Like Patek didn't realize the complication discs were too big until they pinned the hands down on the dial.
Damn, now that you mention it it's hard to unsee

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
On a serious note, you know what annoys me about the 5205, 5726, and the 5396? The what the hands are centered and placed on the dial in a way that DIRECTLY interrupts the moonphase and date function. It looks so cluttered and messy. Like Patek didn't realize the complication discs were too big until they pinned the hands down on the dial.

It overlaps the “24” in the 24-hour sub-dial. In older models with similar dial layouts, but for perpetual calendars, the 24-hour sub-dial was a date sub-dial and the short ends of the hands overlapped the “31”.

I can see why this might annoy someone, but it is consistent with much-loved vintage designs and serves the purpose of maximizing the moonphase and date/24-hour indicator. You don’t need to see the “24” or “31” to read the sub-dial.

To each their own, but that Patek is gorgeous!

I would be all about the similar-looking 5905P if not for the size.

razorfrazer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speedmaster is my all time fav watch. I wear this 9 times out of 10.

blnr is nice too. I prefer it on jubilee to distance it from the other modern lines.
Ill post more later

Attachments

• FD0FE80B-96A4-465E-B6D2-B22A671DFA92.jpeg
    FD0FE80B-96A4-465E-B6D2-B22A671DFA92.jpeg
    127.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 0FF26A9D-0683-4C70-A7E7-32FAE15A27E0.jpeg
    0FF26A9D-0683-4C70-A7E7-32FAE15A27E0.jpeg
    200.3 KB · Views: 38

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, to be more specific, has anyone heard of this particular model. Because Foo thrives in the Narzissmus der kleinen Differenzen of classical/Trinity watch collecting, this is so far from his domain of interest as to warrant ignoring on sight (the same, I assume, holds for Dino, whose more reserved style prevents him from commenting unless asked or the subject falls within his area of interest). Not a bad choice mind you; by casting a broader net, 99% of the information I end up loading will disappear into history with the odd ripple in forum archives the only indication that there was, once, a brand, a watch, a discussion. Foo is more likely to find use for his knowledge in 10-20 years. If Genta's own brand watches hadn't been branded Genta who would remember them today?

BWF is or was one of the contenders for the rising Chinese watch industry. Like Sea Gull (and here more favoured brands like Nomos whose Alpha was also a modified ETA 7001 and started the brand), or Seiko back in the days, it copied to learn.

The Beihai that made waves amongst PMW buyers was an unmodified Miyota copy with a circular take on the Patek Gondolo dial. However BWF was distinguished by rock bottom prices, relatively good QC, relatively classical/Western tastes compared to SG or Fitya which are visibly and distinctly Chinese-in-the-90s, and then it came out with the Wu Ji that showed there was more than a copy paste rebrand operation going on (although a machine finished tourbillon for $75k has value primarily in the historical or novelty or national pride factor). Celadon watches which were relatively well received here trusted BWF enough to base much of their line on it, although Benjamin Chee returned to Switzerland for his more upscale BCHH brand which use Vaucher Fleurier.

As of now I think this enamel dial watch is their most expensive offering (and therefore flagship?) even with the doubling of price for their tourbillons, together with the fired enamel dials. So I am curious about the thinking behind it, and how they justify the price. The added mystery from the closure of Xi's China to the West is to be fair part of it.

I haven't seen that watch before. But it was really not a design that resonates with me. I don't love the case or crown (the wrong crown or one that seems too small is a deal breaker for me. I know weird, but I really dislike the crowns on FPJournes so I'd never buy one...I don't like how they look or trying to use them). The design on the dial is very subjective. Its not offensive, but it doesn't do much for me. I'm not a pen collector but the design reminds me of some Namiki pens my Dad used to buy (he collects all sorts of things such as watches, knives, pens etc). The price point is different, but maybe you have to love birds to spend that kind of money on a watch with birds on the dial. VC did a series of Audubon watches, but they didn't do much for me either. I don't quite know what the squiggles or SS are supposed to be near the image of the sun, but looking at it reminds me of the SS logo on old Chevy Montecarlos or Novas. In addition, although Foo and I rarely agree on much, I have similar issues with the the cost and the movement used in it. Sure it could be a more finely finished movement and not just dropped into the case in the state in which they get it, but for me it just doesn't sit well at that price point. To me a somewhat average movement that can be found in lots of less expensive watches can make the watch its sitting in seem like a fancy decoration to cover something ordinary.

I can understand you wanting a Chinese watch for you collection. Perhaps it would be a point of pride, much like how some Italian people feel about Ferrari or Lamborghini, or my Austrian friends feel about Porsches. There are no fine watches that would really have much to do with my heritage/ancestory, so that has never been an issue for me.

I tend to like watch brands and designs that are lasting, and have some history. Watches in my collection have designs that are roughly 40-100 years old. Its not planned that way, some just have designs I liked and as I researched them, I discovered their origins are quite old. It is rare for new brands to really be of a lot of interest to me. I like some Laurent Ferrier designs, but for what they cost, I don't really have a desire to own one. Plus with new companies, I wonder what happens if a company fails or parts become unavailable. I've mentioned it before, but a friend bought an Eterna for his wife years ago. After about 5-10 years of ownership she damaged the bezel. When he wanted to send the watch in for service and to have the bezel replaced, they told him they don't have any spares for that watch, so there is nothing they can do about the bezel.

Many Genta branded watches or his subsequent company Gerald Charles were rather forgettable regardless of the name on the dial.

Namiki Pens

1611767527330.png

One of VC's Audubon watches.
1611767376039.png

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It overlaps the “24” in the 24-hour sub-dial. In older models with similar dial layouts, but for perpetual calendars, the 24-hour sub-dial was a date sub-dial and the short ends of the hands overlapped the “31”.

I can see why this might annoy someone, but it is consistent with much-loved vintage designs and serves the purpose of maximizing the moonphase and date/24-hour indicator. You don’t need to see the “24” or “31” to read the sub-dial.

I would be all about the similar-looking 5905P if not for the size.
I like the 5396G, but runs into the same issue.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know, I tried this on the other day and really liked it. Besides the Reverso, don't see a lot of love for JLC on this thread. And by the year on the calendar seems like it has been sitting im the AD's case for a while ?
View attachment 1543999

One of my friends has that watch in rose gold. He bought it a few years ago to celebrate a promotion. It's a nice watch, although maybe a bit too bland for some.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
See this 3449, for example. This is a $1-2M watch.

View attachment 1544002

well, this one does look better to me even if the collision issue is still (less) present. Full disclosure: I can't wade into (or am interested in) the aesthetic vs scarcity vs historical/horological significance of these [PP] watches relative to the prices they fetch, so attaching a price to ANY of these watches doesn't help [me] validate their aesthetic qualities, though I can easily empathize with all of those factors being extremely important to others...

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of my friends has that watch in rose gold. He bought it a few years ago to celebrate a promotion. It's a nice watch, although maybe a bit too bland for some.
All of my watches are on the simple side aesthetically speaking, which is why I think I like this one

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads