• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Size is weird. A Datejust or OP larger than an Explorer and as large as a Submariner is wrong. I’d go with 36mm.

Compounded with the blue dial, this is a neither-here-nor-there proposition. The watch wants to imply sportiness, but really it’s not a sport watch.
You're weird. And wrong. Next.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The more I look at the OP41 (blue dial), the more I like it. Thoughts?

OP just doesn't do it for me. I don't like it as much as the Explorer. I don't like it as much as a DJ. It just fits into this weird middle ground that would be great if you only have one watch, but as part of a collection just feels dull. I cross-shopped OP with Aqua Terra and ended up liking the AT better (this was the previous version with vertical dial striping). I would probably buy your blue IWC over an OP in a head to head battle as well.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Never owned one but I’ve heard people say the GS tend to be even prettier in person.
I own one GS and handled plenty of their watches, can't say they feel cheap or look cheap. Maybe the bracelet is kind of flimsy on some stuff.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@TheFoo and other horology aficionados, what are your thoughts on the discontinued patek ref: 5134 travel time gmt? This is one of my grail GMT watches. Robust 215 caliber manual wind movement. Minimal aesthetic (for a dual time) and a practical function. Rose gold would be first preference, however, the white gold model looks excellent as well.

View attachment 1543755

My Dad a 5134J like the one in the top photo with the Breguet numerals, but his is in yellow gold. He bought it new around 2004/2005. He really likes it a lot. This style dial with Breguet numerals was from the 1st series of 5134s in gold (Platinum models got stick markers back then). The dial in the bottom photo with the big bold, but somewhat boring numeral font was the second series/later 5134s. When crown guards started appearing on Calatravas it led to the cases seeming rather unbalanced. However, my Dad and I both felt the pushers on the left added some symmetry/balance to these new style 37mm cases shoulders. Other nice features are the exhibition back to view the movement, and at least the first series 5134s came with a deployant clasp that has the Calatrava cross on it. My Dad has never had any issues or problems with his. Wishing you luck with whatever you decide.

razorfrazer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hey guys. I havent been very active on this thread. I'll try and chat a bit more ! Here are a few of my watches, enjoy !

Nomos Tangete, this one is maybe 12 years old ? Im not sure. Alpha movement. Been serviced probably 5 times or more. ha ha. Its quite delicate.
Nomos Metro, really loved this when it came out. Beautiful quirky watch.
Seiko gold plated quartz watch. cool watch, it was in pristine condition. The seller tried scamming me on this but i won the dispute. i think its from 78? for its time it was very advanced with a low battery indicator. I dont know much else about this. These were basically the predecessor to Grand Seiko.

I'll post a few more later maybe.

Attachments

• IMG_4354_1505997000843.JPG
    IMG_4354_1505997000843.JPG
    193.4 KB · Views: 24
  • JpnrXmk.jpg
    JpnrXmk.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 26
  • weddingariamorgan.jpg
    weddingariamorgan.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 103481745_282332802970424_254327865677141133_n.jpg
    103481745_282332802970424_254327865677141133_n.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I took an instant liking to the OP as soon as I saw it. Granted I haven’t in person or tried it on, but it’s simple and clean and a nice alternative to the DJ.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A friend of mine just ordered one from his local AD. Overall, its a nice watch, but I know it just wouldn't get any wrist time with me. I owned an Explorer 1 for a decade and wore it maybe a dozen times. I always liked how it looked on others and in photos, but it was never my go to watch. If I was going to wear a Rolex, it was always putting on some sportier (Daytona, Ex2, Sub etc). So I think an OP would end up sitting in a drawer the way my Explorer did. Still, if it puts a smile on your face and you'd give it some wrist time, then go for it.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like the single stick indices on the 41 rather than the doubled ones at 3, 6 and 9 on the 36. The blue looks nice. I think the dial might end up looking disproportionately large on the 41, so for me it would come down to seeing it on my wrist (which I haven't yet tried...).

Edit: I guess both sizes have the double sticks at 3, 6,, 9 (I reckon I was thinking of the discontinued 39?)? In which case, I'm not a fan...

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's settled then. I'm getting one, but mainly because this Foo cat doesn't like it.

It’s just such a bland watch. At least get a 36mm OP with one of the new pop color dials. The coral red and dark green are killer.

But you also seem to think the OP41 is more interesting than a Patek 5205, so clearly you inhabit a different version of reality.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s just such a bland watch. At least get a 36mm OP with one of the new pop color dials. The coral red and dark green are killer.

But you also seem to think the OP41 is more interesting than a Patek 5205, so clearly you inhabit a different version of reality.
I really do like the OP41 better than the 5205.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads