• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's basically what is happening with this Patek AD that is closing it's Boston branch. They said there just isn't a market for new gold Pateks, even in the very wealthy suburban areas where they have other stores in other states. The only requests they are getting for Patek, and it's multiple times a day, are for the steel Nautilus and Aquanaut, which Patek isn't supplying to them. So rather than continuing to take in inventory of gold watches and represent and sell Patek from their other stores they are giving up the brand.

Not that it's in my plans, but of the modern Pateks, the only ones that I would be interested in are the Aquanauts. I personally do not find modern Calatravas particularly compelling, for example. They are clearly fine watches, but frankly, I would prefer an older vintage model that has a more interesting history. That goes for a lot of brands. Vintage dress watches are just more interesting than new dress watches.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not hat it's in my plans, but of the modern Pateks, the only ones that I would be interested in are the Aquanauts. I personally do not find modern Calatravas particularly compelling, for example. They are clearly fine watches, but frankly, I would prefer an older vintage model that has a more interesting history. That goes for a lot of brands. Vintage dress watches are just more interesting than new dress watches.

I can understand that. My dad has a few Pateks, that I will probably inherit someday. So I've never really felt compelled to purchase one. Plus, the designs have always seemed a bit stodgy to me, and modern Calatravas are nice, but I don't love them. The only Patek I really liked in recent years was the steel Nautilus 5712A1...but I'm not a big spender at any places that carry Patek, and I don't want it enough to pay insane used prices for it either. I can understand your being into vintage watches. Vintage watches have a charm that can't be replicated by new pieces, and the dials and details are often more intersting than those of their modern successors.

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha...Yeah, I'm actually not really sure.

For context, though, the "joke" about tailoring was written by the fellow pictured below and triggered by me facetiously challenging his self-appointed superiority (look, nothing is really going to solve this kid's problems. For example, you can put an asshole baby yoda in a rubinacci suit and have his wife lend him a patek, but you're still going to end up dealing with an asshole baby yoda on an allowance. This guy hates himself and tries to buy, flex and argue away his issues. His "research" and "experience" [quality, price, pedigree, etc] help him rationalize to himself and disguise to others his disorders, but there are never reasonble ends to discussions with this guy [well, unless you confirm his bias, I suppose]. Therapy would probably be the best option, staying off the internet might be another, but let's just slap a gold daytona on that wrist, enjoy the insanity, and call it a day):

View attachment 1541951

Man, that was harsh. I feel bad for the guy in that photo. Who is he? He looks like he is wearing one of those "original" suits TheFoo told me to avoid. I wonder what kind of watch he is wearing.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not that it's in my plans, but of the modern Pateks, the only ones that I would be interested in are the Aquanauts. I personally do not find modern Calatravas particularly compelling, for example. They are clearly fine watches, but frankly, I would prefer an older vintage model that has a more interesting history. That goes for a lot of brands. Vintage dress watches are just more interesting than new dress watches.
Agreed for the most part about vintage dress watches. Strongly disagree on the Aquanaut. What a snoozefest, to use a term from earlier in the recent cat fighting in this thread. I don't understand the love for the Nautilus either, but to each his own.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can understand that. My dad has a few Pateks, that I will probably inherit someday. So I've never really felt compelled to purchase one. Plus, the designs have always seemed a bit stodgy to me, and modern Calatravas are nice, but I don't love them. The only Patek I really liked in recent years was the steel Nautilus 5712A1...but I'm not a big spender at any places that carry Patek, and I don't want it enough to pay insane used prices for it either. I can understand your being into vintage watches. Vintage watches have a charm that can't be replicated by new pieces, and the dials and details are often more intersting than those of their modern successors.
Except for the part about the Nautilus, and your father's Calatrava - I am pretty sure that my father wears an Ironman - this pretty much sums up my own feelings. The same goes for Seiko Grands. I understand that they are excellent watches, mechanical miracles, and a great value, but frankly, for me to want to buy a very expensive piece of obsolete technology, it's going to have to appeal to me emotionally, because the purchase is fundamentally irrational in any case. I think that this can be extended to most "high end" things in general. Above a certain price level, the utility value is essentially flat, and you are paying for the additional something that cannot be quantified or necessarily even adequiately described.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed for the most part about vintage dress watches. Strongly disagree on the Aquanaut. What a snoozefest, to use a term from earlier in the recent cat fighting in this thread. I don't understand the love for the Nautilus either, but to each his own.
I like the shape. I also said that it's not in my plans. It's not a grail watch for me - though I'm not sure that I have any. I would like a Longines Greenlander, but woiuld worry about maintenance. It would be nice to get an early Explorer as well, with the painted dial, but man, the prices on those are out of control right now.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today’s NYT‘s take on the President’s watch:
15B9DD5C-D0CD-4D50-9D9C-32DE55C48A37.jpeg

mockingboy

Reaction score
I think the 5212 from a year or two ago is PPs attempt to bridge formal with youth; steel calavatra weekly that has a very neat and non traditional look

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought that was an interesting little piece! Biden 100% strikes me as straddling that Rolex-Omega divide. I was a little nonplussed with the whole Timex thing in some former presidents, seems to be overkill signaling that they don't care, but maybe I'm overthinking it. They didn't mention what Trump wears?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I thought that was an interesting little piece! Biden 100% strikes me as straddling that Rolex-Omega divide. I was a little nonplussed with the whole Timex thing in some former presidents, seems to be overkill signaling that they don't care, but maybe I'm overthinking it. They didn't mention what Trump wears?

Timex is a very WASP/trad choice, though.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was a little nonplussed with the whole Timex thing in some former presidents, seems to be overkill signaling that they don't care, but maybe I'm overthinking it.

I think that some people genuinely don't care - it's not an affectation or a deliberate signal. They just don't care about watches and so couldn't care what they wear.

I'm sure we've all got examples, but the father of one of my old school friends is a multi-multi-millionaire. He's an engineer by training who started his own company and later sold it for a great deal of money. He owns houses in a few different cities around the world. He could easily afford multiple versions of all the watches discussed here but for the past 30 years, all I've seen him wear are cheap Casio or similar watches. He just wants something that is utilitarian and reliable and that he doesn't need to think or worry about. He's the same with cars - most of the time, he drives a Honda. Some people are just like that.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that some people genuinely don't care - it's not an affectation or a deliberate signal. They just don't care about watches and so couldn't care what they wear.

I'm sure we've all got examples, but the father of one of my old school friends is a multi-multi-millionaire. He's an engineer by training who started his own company and later sold it for a great deal of money. He owns houses in a few different cities around the world. He could easily afford multiple versions of all the watches discussed here but for the past 30 years, all I've seen him wear are cheap Casio or similar watches. He just wants something that is utilitarian and reliable and that he doesn't need to think or worry about. He's the same with cars - most of the time, he drives a Honda. Some people are just like that.

Agree for some folks. But then Obama immediately went for a white gold Rolex Cellini as soon as he was out of office.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Understanding that it’s all relative, but how much can you haggle/work down a price at an AD for a watch that isnt super competitive to find (IWC Portofino or JLC MUT)?

I imagine you can probably knock at least 3% off with a cash offer right? Is there a rule of thumb otherwise? I don’t want to be offensive, but I don’t want to put money on the table that I don’t have to either...

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Understanding that it’s all relative, but how much can you haggle/work down a price at an AD for a watch that isnt super competitive to find (IWC Portofino or JLC MUT)?

I imagine you can probably knock at least 3% off with a cash offer right? Is there a rule of thumb otherwise? I don’t want to be offensive, but I don’t want to put money on the table that I don’t have to either...
You should be able to get a discount of at least 10%. I got that without asking when I bought a Blancpain Aqua Lung many years ago. It's also the going rate for artworks that aren't highly in demand.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads