• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree to some degree and just posted back at someone who called it a "Daytona killer".

Yeah, I’m not sure I get it. Sure all chronographs share some design elements by nature, but this is about as close to a knock off as one can get without actually being a knock off.

Even the bracelet is the same. I doubt someone holding out for a Daytona will just throw in the towel on the waiting and get this one because it’s “close enough.”

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to steer as far as possible away from politics as possible, please. For **** sake, our daily lives (here in America, at least) are saturated with that ****.

However, a valid point somewhere there emerged: the OPTICS of wearing a watch, whatever it may be. The “baggage” of wearing a watch is such an interesting dynamic. I once owned a Rolex Day-Date 40 in solid gold and champagne dial - the Soprano watch, but updated. It was my grail watch. I loved it so much. One day, when I was a younger man, I flew to Michigan to meet with a client. I wore it to the meeting. He kept looking at it. At the end of the meeting, and after about an hour of post-meeting discussion, he said “if you think I’m going to pay you [my hourly rate] just so you can buy another ******* Gold Rolex, think again, pal.” I sold it two days afterward and it taught my young, senseless ass a valuable lesson: mind your wrist, for everyone else may.

Let’s stay amicable and centered, gentlemen. Thank you.

P.S.: I still love you, Annie (that was her name)
View attachment 1540535
This story is brutal, sorry man. Watch was stunning, sorry you had to let it go... I am lucky that in my specific line of work I don’t have to deal with these optics, but instead different ones... doctors are not known for their financial acumen

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Alright, calling on all sharp eyes. Below are photos of a Patek 5170 I’m looking at. It’s one of the last available new from an authorized dealer. It is overseas so I can’t inspect in person.

Is it just me or does it look like the case might have been polished/refinished? The edges of the lugs appear ever so slightly softened. Or it could just be the photo / lighting. Or my paranoia.

Also, looks like there might be some hairline scratches on the bezel.

It is 2015 production. Dealer has had it for five years, which makes me worry about handling and shop wear.

Thoughts?

A8440DBA-CBBE-4232-A2C6-64E2A39D4940.jpeg

850B9DC4-5ACB-4EAF-8456-CC934546CCDA.jpeg

2F9D5DEF-D31B-4E08-955E-8AC0B0C4EB01.jpeg

Reaction score
I want to steer as far as possible away from politics as possible, please. For **** sake, our daily lives (here in America, at least) are saturated with that ****.

However, a valid point somewhere there emerged: the OPTICS of wearing a watch, whatever it may be. The “baggage” of wearing a watch is such an interesting dynamic. I once owned a Rolex Day-Date 40 in solid gold and champagne dial - the Soprano watch, but updated. It was my grail watch. I loved it so much. One day, when I was a younger man, I flew to Michigan to meet with a client. I wore it to the meeting. He kept looking at it. At the end of the meeting, and after about an hour of post-meeting discussion, he said “if you think I’m going to pay you [my hourly rate] just so you can buy another ******* Gold Rolex, think again, pal.” I sold it two days afterward and it taught my young, senseless ass a valuable lesson: mind your wrist, for everyone else may.

Let’s stay amicable and centered, gentlemen. Thank you.

P.S.: I still love you, Annie (that was her name)
View attachment 1540535

Rolex does have baggage, imo. I used to have a Sub Date and it often made me feel uncomfortable around people that weren't that well off.

Just stick to Patek or A Lange & Sohn :) No one will ever know.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Immediately upon seeing the watch in the Hodinkee article, and before the comparison shot I'm posting here, I thought "this brings a whole new meaning to 'Zenith Daytona'."

01-12-20214753.jpg

That’s been a common observation. However, must keep in mind that Zenith/Heuer/Daytona chronographs all originate from the same era and all appeared very similar, with black bezels and high-contrast “panda” dials. It was just the fashion of the times. Rolex did not invent the look, though the Daytona has been the most consistent torchbearer. So these Zeniths are not necessarily copying the Daytona but just recalling their own heritage.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright, calling on all sharp eyes. Below are photos of a Patek 5170 I’m looking at. It’s one of the last available new from an authorized dealer. It is overseas so I can’t inspect in person.

Is it just me or does it look like the case might have been polished/refinished? The edges of the lugs appear ever so slightly softened. Or it could just be the photo / lighting. Or my paranoia.

It is 2015 production. Dealer has had it for five years, which makes me worry about handling and shop wear.

Thoughts?

View attachment 1540751

View attachment 1540752

View attachment 1540753
I'm not an expert but the 2nd picture does look like the lugs have been softened. Maybe show the pictures on the rolexforum in the Patek section. They could also probably help you out.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not an expert but the 2nd picture does look like the lugs have been softened. Maybe show the pictures on the rolexforum in the Patek section. They could also probably help you out.

Done and done. They are very Nautilus-focused over there though.

“Serious” watch forums seem all but extinct. Go-tos used to be Timezone and Purists. Both are pretty dead now.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rolex does have baggage, imo. I used to have a Sub Date and it often made me feel uncomfortable around people that weren't that well off.

Just stick to Patek or A Lange & Sohn :) No one will ever know.

what a nutty world we live in, no?

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:hide:

Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 8.01.22 AM.png

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thoughts?

View attachment 1540751

The watch definitely has hair line scratches on the bezel. Gold is relatively soft and scratches very easily. A watch that is unwrapped, and in and out of a showcase over the course of 5 years is going to get some shop wear. I once purchased a watch based on photos and it had been in the shop for about that long. I was rather disappointed with the condition, and it was far less expensive watch than a 5170G. The manufacturer agreed to polish it and did a very nice job, but I know better and don't get any of my watches polished during a service.

The lugs on these watches have a fair amount of curvature to start with, so I;m not sure that I can tell if it has or has not been polished unless it was next to other unpolished watch. Also, a watch made 5 years ago sitting in a showcase under hot lights, doing nothing, will still need a service. You might be able to go a bit longer before servicing it, but according to Patek's own website, their watches should be serviced every 5 years. https://www.patek.com/en/retail-service/services/importance-of-maintenance

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s been a common observation. However, must keep in mind that Zenith/Heuer/Daytona chronographs all originate from the same era and all appeared very similar, with black bezels and high-contrast “panda” dials. It was just the fashion of the times. Rolex did not invent the look, though the Daytona has been the most consistent torchbearer. So these Zeniths are not necessarily copying the Daytona but just recalling their own heritage.

The dial is Zenith and is recalling it's own heritage, but it looks a bit too close to a Daytona. If I wanted a Zenith chrono, I'd buy one that looks like one of the classic Zenith El Primero chronographs and less like a Daytona.

Last edited:

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The watch definitely has hair line scratches on the bezel. Gold is relatively soft and scratches very easily. A watch that is unwrapped, and in and out of a showcase over the course of 5 years is going to get some shop wear. I once purchased a watch based on photos and it had been in the shop for about that long. I was rather disappointed with the condition, and it was far less expensive watch than a 5170G. The manufacturer agreed to polish it and did a very nice job, but I know better and don't get any of my watches polished during a service.

The lugs on these watches have a fair amount of curvature to start with, so I;m not sure that I can tell if it has or has not been polished unless it was next to other unpolished watch. Also, a watch made 5 years ago sitting in a showcase under hot lights, doing nothing, will still need a service. You might be able to go a bit longer before servicing it, but according to Patek's own website, their watches should be serviced every 5 years. https://www.patek.com/en/retail-service/services/importance-of-maintenance

I was struck by the 5 years service interval. Sounds a bit excessive.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see the similarities between the Zenith chronograph and the Daytona that other people are seeing. Yes, they both have a black ceramic bezel and the same hands, but that's about it. The Zenith is a stand-in for the Daytona as much as the Omega Seamaster is a stand-in for the Submariner. Some people will buy it because they don't want to pay double retail or wait for a decade for a Daytona, but it's a fine watch in its own right.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics