• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A Datejust or Speedmaster are not really expensive watces. They are well within the reach of most moderately affluent people. It's not as though he made a show either way,l either wearing a Casio or a rainbow Daytona.

No, I agree, but I think there has been a bit of a stigma about wearing a Rolex or even Omega for several pre-Trump presidents.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
either wearing a Casio or a rainbow Daytona.

or something like this:
03B9F4C5-70FF-4D5D-A4F8-DFE9E0B1EE93.gif

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, when Clinton and Obama came to office they didn’t have money. Joe did.

Politics aside, he’s always been a snappy dresser. His casual outfits are always pretty formulaic but his suits are well cut.

It will be nice trying to spot what watch he’s wearing when in public.

Obama might not have been WEALTHY when he entered the White House, but he had been in the Senate making > $150k for a couple of years, and his wife was making over $400k at her law firm. He could have had a nice watch if he wanted, he probably just didnt really think about watches.

Same thing with Clinton. He was the Governor of Arkansas for ****'s sake, the Casio was exactly on brand for who he was at the time.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Obama also made a bucketload of money on his 2(!!!) self-indulgent books.

Joe’s been in the Senate his whole life, where you really don’t make bank unless you’re corrupt. So hat tip to his China-funded Rolex selection. It is good to see a decent watch in the White House.

**** off back to your qanon circle jerk support group.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Modded Speedmaster or a true Mitsukoshi?

My daily was my Seamaster 300M Pro (about 4 years) until I got my AP RO 15400. I wore that nearly everyday for about 3 years. Since C19, I've been mainly wearing my Seamaster or Speedy FOIS.
Both. I have a modded one as a daily beater, and man, it is beat, and then a safequeen real deal that I was lucky enough to get. I just can't bring myself to wear that or my Daytona.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have a real Mitsukoshi!? Wow that’s impressive.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I agree, but I think there has been a bit of a stigma about wearing a Rolex or even Omega for several pre-Trump presidents.
Maybe it's my personal bias showing, but I think that Omega does not carry the same baggage as does Rolex.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have a real Mitsukoshi!? Wow that’s impressive.
I got lucky and someone very reputable offered me one at an unmistakably F&F price based on my posts here. It was not a gift, but the price made it a not-not a gift, either. I guess that there are some perks to owning this place. I honestly don't mind having a couple of "safe queens". On the daily, I wear (carry?) a few older Omega references that are covetable but relatively affordable (Mitsu mod, 105.005 and145.017)). My comfort level seems to round out at the $3000-$6000 mark, and above that, I've very much in the "put it away quickly" range. I suppose that that's a personal comfort level. It would just feel weird for me to wear the Zenith Daytona, which I think is apparently around $30K (probably lower since it's been worn a bit). Wearing the equivalent of a not so bad used car is already stretch. It's hard to think of wearing an item that costs as much as a newer car, and not worry about mucking it up. Obviously, ymmv, as people seem to regularly wear watches that are higher than the US median salary.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
**** off back to your qanon circle jerk support group.
I'm going to let this stand just so that I can say one thing: no politics in the thread please. If you want to hear even my political opinions, you will have to get yourself over to Current Events.

Thanks,

Fok.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to let this stand just so that I can say one thing: no politics in the thread please. If you want to hear even my political opinions, you will have to get yourself over to Current Events.
The exact reason for my post...

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to steer as far as possible away from politics as possible, please. For **** sake, our daily lives (here in America, at least) are saturated with that ****.

However, a valid point somewhere there emerged: the OPTICS of wearing a watch, whatever it may be. The “baggage” of wearing a watch is such an interesting dynamic. I once owned a Rolex Day-Date 40 in solid gold and champagne dial - the Soprano watch, but updated. It was my grail watch. I loved it so much. One day, when I was a younger man, I flew to Michigan to meet with a client. I wore it to the meeting. He kept looking at it. At the end of the meeting, and after about an hour of post-meeting discussion, he said “if you think I’m going to pay you [my hourly rate] just so you can buy another ******* Gold Rolex, think again, pal.” I sold it two days afterward and it taught my young, senseless ass a valuable lesson: mind your wrist, for everyone else may.

Let’s stay amicable and centered, gentlemen. Thank you.

P.S.: I still love you, Annie (that was her name)
01BDBC73-72F2-48C9-8F67-E33CA5AD24F1.jpeg

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got lucky and someone very reputable offered me one at an unmistakably F&F price based on my posts here. It was not a gift, but the price made it a not-not a gift, either. I guess that there are some perks to owning this place. I honestly don't mind having a couple of "safe queens". On the daily, I wear (carry?) a few older Omega references that are covetable but relatively affordable (Mitsu mod, 105.005 and145.017)). My comfort level seems to round out at the $3000-$6000 mark, and above that, I've very much in the "put it away quickly" range. I suppose that that's a personal comfort level. It would just feel weird for me to wear the Zenith Daytona, which I think is apparently around $30K (probably lower since it's been worn a bit). Wearing the equivalent of a not so bad used car is already stretch. It's hard to think of wearing an item that costs as much as a newer car, and not worry about mucking it up. Obviously, ymmv, as people seem to regularly wear watches that are higher than the US median salary.

very nice story, really appreciate the share.

i've gotten (and given!) the hookup around here in the same way.

great site mang!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to steer as far as possible away from politics as possible, please. For **** sake, our daily lives (here in America, at least) are saturated with that ****.

However, a valid point somewhere there emerged: the OPTICS of wearing a watch, whatever it may be. The “baggage” of wearing a watch is such an interesting dynamic. I once owned a Rolex Day-Date 40 in solid gold and champagne dial - the Soprano watch, but updated. It was my grail watch. I loved it so much. One day, when I was a younger man, I flew to Michigan to meet with a client. I wore it to the meeting. He kept looking at it. At the end of the meeting, and after about an hour of post-meeting discussion, he said “if you think I’m going to pay you [my hourly rate] just so you can buy another ******* Gold Rolex, think again, pal.” I sold it two days afterward and it taught my young, senseless ass a valuable lesson: mind your wrist, for everyone else may.

View attachment 1540535
I have a fascination with really blingy Day-dates. There was a really great condition, full set Day-Date that I saw at a vintage watch shop, with a wooden dial and a bark bracelet (was it the "presidential"?) that I was tempted by, even though such a thing has no place in my life. Most of the jewelry I wear is silver, some times brass, so it would have looked weird anyway, but the ostentatious presentation was weirdly attractive.

Weirdly, the stainless steal sports models just generally don't do it for me. I do like the old, old, Explorers, and pre-Explorers, though.

tldr: I am a Guy Fieri at heart.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1540535
Rolex really gets a bad rap. I can wear my RO15400 and most people are just like “nice watch” without realizing it costs way more than a Sub or a Daytona.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve mentioned before that I have a s deposit down for a Snoopy 50. If and when I get that I’ll probably wear the **** out of it but the Speedy I really want now is the moonshine gold A11 50th or the Sedna gold 3861 Speedy just released. I’m really digging the gold Speedmasters.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads