• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dumb question - why don’t ADs or even Patek make sales contracts with a first right to purchase the watch back?
A lot of art galleries do this. Art is a lot easier to track because it's unique and does not have a robust secondary market outside of well-known auction houses who connect well-heeled buyers and sellers.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dumb question - why don’t ADs or even Patek make sales contracts with a first right to purchase the watch back?

I know some dog breeders that do something similar where you need to surrender the dog to the breeder rather than a shelter or give to someone else

Ferrari does this with some of their limited production models.

Of course, as mentioned already, it’s a matter of tracking.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They probably didn’t screen the client well enough. Who knows. I’ll confess I don’t understand the ins and outs of the AD/brand relationship that well.
it really comes down to who buys the best whiskey/ flowers as a Xmas present. Whoever buys it gets the hottest watches - everyone knows this :)

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ferrari does this with some of their limited production models.

Of course, as mentioned already, it’s a matter of tracking.
my read is PP officially condemns flipping and acts on it if it is too obvious but secretly loves the hype (sky high grey market prices) it creates. Of course this aura of exclusivity is something any luxury brand loves - the example of Hermes Birkin bag (probably mentioned 1m times in this context) comes to mind.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm....Patek’s relationship with its AD’s is coming off a bit like Ike & Tina.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They probably didn’t screen the client well enough. Who knows. I’ll confess I don’t understand the ins and outs of the AD/brand relationship that well.
I do. There’s a bit more to that story that I can’t share, but suffice it to say that the AD got fucked (and, in the process, so did I and all other loyal customers).

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I initially didn’t like two-tone myself. Then this was released:

D109EFA6-FC19-4B02-91FD-FECC45D27C50.jpeg

Not my best wrist shot, but I love it. I think the bezel gets lost more on the full gold version.

Speaking of two-tone and rose gold two-tone at that, I finally got a strap for this watch and am finally enjoying it on the wrist:

D8ADDFB6-8B29-4806-B9EB-3796BE421274.jpeg

Love the way the dial shifts in natural light. Not one of the more talked about LE Speedies, but one of my favorites.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ike and Tina Turner where Ike would beat the **** out of Tina and she would stay with him.
Maybe Trump and the Republican Party is a more contemporary reference?

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a milestone birthday coming up next month and just had a big professional milestone, going to keep my eyes out for a skydweller (326934 blue face) or a 126610LN sub date to commemorate the occasion.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got a milestone birthday coming up next month and just had a big professional milestone, going to keep my eyes out for a skydweller (326934 blue face) or a 126610LN sub date to commemorate the occasion.
Good luck! The blue dial SS Sky Dweller is supposedly one of the hardest Rolex watches to get.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads