• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so the AD did their job and sold a watch and patek didn't like what that customer did with their property? ok!

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so the AD did their job and sold a watch and patek didn't like what that customer did with their property? ok!
well I think it's good that PP does something, even though not enough. the watches should go to someone who appreciates them and wants to wear them and no to flip - just my opinion your point of view is somewhat valid of course but in the crazy world of watches I dont want that to happen.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That seems very harsh if it's a first strike for the AD. Are they now expected to due diligence every buyer? And how do you reliably screen out potential flippers anyway?
Exactly. Losing Patek as an AD - any AD - is a tremendously consequential loss. These people are going to struggle to make that revenue up elsewhere. Guess I’m going to have to buy a lot more Jaeger.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would reach out to patek (if you have a solid purchase history) - I have heard that some people got help when they lost their relationship due to AD losing status. I assume it needs to be more than a few pieces. But terrible situation - curious which AD it was - PM me please.
I may reach out to Patek. That’s not a bad idea.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well I think it's good that PP does something, even though not enough. the watches should go to someone who appreciates them and wants to wear them and no to flip - just my opinion your point of view is somewhat valid of course but in the crazy world of watches I dont want that to happen.

haha ok well what if instead the customer mothballed that piece in a safe for 40 years? not to argue just trying to corner the notion

Last edited:

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
haha ok well what if instead the customer mothballed that piece in a safe for 40 years?
nobody can control that of course. but to be fair everyone knows there is a high chance of getting backlisted and Ad might lose status if people flip hot models, especially the hottest watch on the planet 5711. I wish the would do way more about flippers but I feel this debate has been discussed so often that I dont want to repeat it.

In the real world I agree with you :)

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nobody can control that of course. but to be fair everyone knows there is a high chance of getting backlisted and Ad might lose status if people flip hot models, especially the hottest watch on the planet 5711. I wish the would do way more about flippers but I feel this debate has been discussed so often that I dont want to repeat it.

In the real world I agree with you :)
I have a solution. Implant tracking devices and explosive micro-chips on all AD cards. The moment Patek spots a 5711 floating around a secondary market ONE DAY AFTER THE AD POINT OF SALE, they can detonate the watch. Whoever dies, dies.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a solution. Implant tracking devices and explosive micro-chips on all AD cards. The moment Patek spots a 5711 floating around a secondary market ONE DAY AFTER THE AD POINT OF SALE, they can detonate the watch. Whoever dies, dies.
seems reasonable I like it :) hahahahahhah

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
seems reasonable I like it :) hahahahahhah
B93D7CC1-8E09-4213-87FC-ADABEC32C8F6.png

So does this guy

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They probably didn’t screen the client well enough. Who knows. I’ll confess I don’t understand the ins and outs of the AD/brand relationship that well.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dumb question - why don’t ADs or even Patek make sales contracts with a first right to purchase the watch back?

I know some dog breeders that do something similar where you need to surrender the dog to the breeder rather than a shelter or give to someone else

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dumb question - why don’t ADs or even Patek make sales contracts with a first right to purchase the watch back?

I know some dog breeders that do something similar where you need to surrender the dog to the breeder rather than a shelter or give to someone else
Probably don’t want to bother tracking and enforcing it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads