• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looking to the forum for help - where would you suggest i go to for sourcing a relatively obscure (late 1990s) Patek Philippe?
Google. ;)

Which model (iteration thereof) are you after?

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for correcting my post. I knew there was an issue with the movements on earlier version of the Tortue MP, and clearly my recollection of whether those movements got replaced or modified was off. One might hope that once the modifications were made to the movement, that there would be no further need for modifications, and possibly the cost of service might not be quite as high the next time around. However, if its another 20 years between services, who knows what service costs will be by then. That being said, not sure if you serviced your watch in the US or abroad, but if serviced in the US, I would imagine the turn around time was due largely to the complexity of the movement and the parts needing to be replaced. The last Cartier watch we sent into Cartier for service (Pre-Covid times), was my wife's automatic Tank Francaise. They had it back to us in just under 4 weeks, and the cost was about $150 less than a servicing a 16570 Rolex Explorer II that I had Rolex NY service around the same time.

It was serviced in Switzerland. I was told at the time that it could only be serviced there. Hopefully it won't need another service for a long while so I won't have to find out what the cost might be now!

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looking to the forum for help - where would you suggest i go to for sourcing a relatively obscure (late 1990s) Patek Philippe?
probably good idea to go to the rolexforum in the PP thread. which model? have you checked on chrono24, should at least be a start.

mockingboy

Reaction score
If you are keen on someone finding it for you, you could reach out to Albert at European watch company in Boston or the folks at Michael Ashton in NYC and they could probably help you find it (though not cheaply).

Keal19

Reaction score
Google. ;)

Which model (iteration thereof) are you after?
probably good idea to go to the rolexforum in the PP thread. which model? have you checked on chrono24, should at least be a start.
If you are keen on someone finding it for you, you could reach out to Albert at European watch company in Boston or the folks at Michael Ashton in NYC and they could probably help you find it (though not cheaply).
Thanks all - I’m looking for the PP 5080 with the salmon dial, have checked all the usual places Chrono24, watch box, eBay and google etc.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks all - I’m looking for the PP 5080 with the salmon dial, have checked all the usual places Chrono24, watch box, eBay and google etc.
Put a request in with A Collected Man or similar site. As you’ll know that model was not in production for terribly long and was not at all popular within it‘s limited run.
As it happens, you missed one auctioned through Phillips last year... or was it 2019... I’m not even sure last year happened.
I‘lol have to check my history, but rather sure i came across one on a European reseller site. I’ll PM you if i find it.

Keal19

Reaction score
Put a request in with A Collected Man or similar site. As you’ll know that model was not in production for terribly long and was not at all popular within it‘s limited run.
As it happens, you missed one auctioned through Phillips last year... or was it 2019... I’m not even sure last year happened.
I‘lol have to check my history, but rather sure i came across one on a European reseller site. I’ll PM you if i find it.
Thanks - yes aware of that, I missed out on a really well priced one on watchfinder. Have reached out to ACM but they dont do sourcing - if you come across it a PM would be really kind, thanks

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks - yes aware of that, I missed out on a really well priced one on watchfinder. Have reached out to ACM but they dont do sourcing - if you come across it a PM would be really kind, thanks
Sorry, was ladies model on 1st Dibs

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was serviced in Switzerland. I was told at the time that it could only be serviced there. Hopefully it won't need another service for a long while so I won't have to find out what the cost might be now!

Based on the complexity of that specific movement and the changes that had to be made, I'm not surprised that it had to go back to Switzerland. Wishing you many years of happy trouble free enjoyment from your watch.

an draoi

Reaction score
This is a good observation and while I do not have „significant disposable income,“ I tend to think along the same lines when planning watch purchases.

I inherited an AP ultra-thin from my dad and sent it to AP for service. It was, in my opinion, outrageously expensive to have it overhauled. OK, it was around €2500 but I found that on the steep side for a time-only watch from the 60s, and this was at least ten years ago before AP started getting a lot of attention and raised their prices. I also have a Cartier mono-pusher chronograph I‘ll have to get serviced soon and was already quoted at least €2000. It is a lot of money and sometimes I think that this hobby just isn‘t for me, or at least I shouldn‘t have rarer pieces that are difficult to have serviced.

I hear the sound of the world's smallest violin playing for the owner of the APRO ultrathin and Cartier monopoussir.

No wait, it's my tinnitus.
;)

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
Picked this up as an early Christmas present for myself six weeks ago. Really enjoying it so far. For the longest time I was against two-tone. But think it really works here

R-O-T

AA7134D2-CDA4-4625-BE1F-102A69098F6E.jpeg
4A752D93-1AE7-4869-8810-0A281908707A.jpeg
466372EA-A1F9-4DAD-9249-E79D9EC583D4.jpeg

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Yeah man that's scalding hot, no doubt...probably my favorite style of Royal Oak.

Congratulations.

May not be an identical model, and I'm sure it's been mentioned here before-- but I like to think of these two-tone models as being the "Prince Michael of Kent" version.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads