• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
true but was actually offered one of the few rolexes in PM I like - the everose gold GMT - that's a nice one. But price too close to AP 15500OR to really consider it for me. Cool piece though.

I was looking at the Rolex 41mm and an AD offered me today one in rose gold and one in steel/yellow gold. No SS available.

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the Rolex 41mm and an AD offered me today one in rose gold and one in steel/yellow gold. No SS available.
Not surprised SS very tough at the moment. Not a fan of the two tone rolexes but rose gold always beautiful.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But one man's boring is another man's classic.

Isn't this the truth. Personally, I would never buy a watch if I thought it might look dated in 10 years.
Not surprised SS very tough at the moment. Not a fan of the two tone rolexes but rose gold always beautiful.

I love the two tone root beer GMT and also the rose gold chocolate dial YM.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As per your request @chocomallo , a watch no one will race to suck me off over :)

View attachment 1538056

Congrats! Looks fantastic! I was looking at the Bvlgari scuba chrono back in the late 90s. I liked it a lot, but back in the day it was rather pricey when new. Now prices are quite reasonable, and its something I'd give some strong thought to in the future. Anyway, congrats again and enjoy it. :cheers:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a good observation and while I do not have „significant disposable income,“ I tend to think along the same lines when planning watch purchases.

I inherited an AP ultra-thin from my dad and sent it to AP for service. It was, in my opinion, outrageously expensive to have it overhauled. OK, it was around €2500 but I found that on the steep side for a time-only watch from the 60s, and this was at least ten years ago before AP started getting a lot of attention and raised their prices. I also have a Cartier mono-pusher chronograph I‘ll have to get serviced soon and was already quoted at least €2000. It is a lot of money and sometimes I think that this hobby just isn‘t for me, or at least I shouldn‘t have rarer pieces that are difficult to have serviced.

Wow, those are some relatively high prices. However, with the AP I'm wondering if it needed some parts replaces being from the 1960s. I haven't heard of them having a service cost that high, at least not on newer pieces.

As for the Cartier mono-pusher, $2,000 is a lot to service a watch. However, I know at least as of a few years ago Patek was charging $1,800 as a base cost to service their chronographs. In addition, keep in mind the movement in the mono-pusher is very complicated and special. It's not merely a re-decorated ETA that lots of people have experience servicing. From what I understand there is an issue with some of the earlier single pusher chronographs, and so they replace the entire movement when it goes in for service. I don't know if that has anything to do with your own watch, or the cost of servicing it. It does not seem to be an issue for later versions that were in the larger XL cases.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can almost guarantee that unless the person is a VIP, all he’s going to see are a bunch of ladies models or two tone DJ’s. You’re still living in 2018 if you think a blue dial SS DJ is readily available and can be purchased at a discount.
[/QUOTE]
I don’t care to purchase a rolex so I’m not living in any world/ year.

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have a local AD that will sell me one for less than MSRP. Not a lot less but less than what the sticker says! Rolex is not a grail watch for me. A Lange Sohne is. I don’t care for any Rolex watch they are not for me!
[/QUOTE]
Have you spoken to your AD recently then to see if that still holds true? Unless you’re a big spender, AD’s don’t sell Rolex at discounts anymore.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a local AD that will sell me one for less than MSRP. Not a lot less but less than what the sticker says! Rolex is not a grail watch for me. A Lange Sohne is. I don’t care for any Rolex watch they are not for me!
Have you spoken to your AD recently then to see if that still holds true? Unless you’re a big spender, AD’s don’t sell Rolex at discounts anymore.
[/QUOTE]
I know someone who buys watches new from Rolex in bulk. I will leave it at that. I do agree 100% what you are saying is accurate. But for me if I want a Rolex I do have to wait but can get one for less than what most are paying these days. Lucky for me Rolex is not what I would wear. Daytona is nice with zenith movement but too small for my wrist.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know someone who buys watches new from Rolex in bulk. I will leave it at that.

AA41F7D0-D147-460B-8F9B-35CE21967BF8.gif

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, those are some relatively high prices. However, with the AP I'm wondering if it needed some parts replaces being from the 1960s. I haven't heard of them having a service cost that high, at least not on newer pieces.

As for the Cartier mono-pusher, $2,000 is a lot to service a watch. However, I know at least as of a few years ago Patek was charging $1,800 as a base cost to service their chronographs. In addition, keep in mind the movement in the mono-pusher is very complicated and special. It's not merely a re-decorated ETA that lots of people have experience servicing. From what I understand there is an issue with some of the earlier single pusher chronographs, and so they replace the entire movement when it goes in for service. I don't know if that has anything to do with your own watch, or the cost of servicing it. It does not seem to be an issue for later versions that were in the larger XL cases.

I serviced my Cartier monopusher about five years ago and it cost USD 2500. I am sure it is more now. The movement was not replaced but there were some modifications to the springs and bridges at the 4 o'clock when viewed from the backside. My watch serial number is around number 50 of the first series (I have seen both CC and CE if i recall correctly). So I agree it is an expensive watch to own long term. Although I think it was the only service the watch has had in 20+ years. I serviced my Patek 5026 last year with the 240 microrotor movement and it was about USD 1500. Both through the brand service centers. The Cartier took 9 or 10 months. Patek was 6 months if I recall.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics