• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Speedmaster stopped working, think main spring broke on March 15th or so, right when the world stopped. Had been going on 6-7 years without service, so was due. With pandemic I haven’t been wearing watches every day and have been social distancing pretty religiously and kind of forgot about it.

Finally took it into the Omega boutique for servicing yesterday. 17 minute drive to Midtown from Brooklyn, found street parking immediately in front of the Polo bar/St Regis. Weird world. Was nice to see new watches in the flesh again.

The bar at the St. Regis is my favorite hotel bar. Can’t wait for the world to return to normal so I can go again.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They might compare with regards to price, however that’s where it ends for me.

the Datejust is an iconic dress watch with lots of appeal on many levels.

the Omega is a very specific model with so many iterations that you’d have to really have your heart set on it in order to win against the DJ.

hope this helps. Please post pics of your purchase once you pull the trigger.

I do think the aqua terra is more comparable to the oyster perpetual, even though the latter doesn’t have a date. I just think the level of formality on a DJ with fluted bezel and jubilee is hard to compare to the AT.

I prefer the AT to the OP.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Considering a first luxury watch purchase. Thinking of one of two options:

1. DJ 36, jubilee bracelet, fluted bezel - silver or blue dial

2. Omega Aqua Terra 38m (blue dial) with a steel bracelet + Longines Flagship Heritage

Initially, I was pretty much wedded to the idea of getting the DJ, but the more I look at the Aqua Terra the more I fall in love with it. It also doesn't hurt that it's cheaper and for the difference in price I could also snag something dressier like the Longines. What do you think?

Also, has anyone experienced AD availability issues with the DJ 36 recently?

Make sure to try on those watches, as the Aqua Terra wears noticeably thicker/top heavy than the DJ 36 (on the AT 38mm...the larger one is probably a bit more balanced...). I still love the Aqua Terra, but it does fit differently than the DJ. Also, I prefer the silver DJ dial to the blue on the 36, but only because the blue dial makes the watch appear a bit smaller to my eye and 36 is already pushing it for me...

I was recently at my AD and they didn't have any DJ 36s in silver or blue dials (in fact, just two-tones with stones, etc...). They did have ATs, though, so...

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Make sure to try on those watches, as the Aqua Terra wears noticeably thicker/top heavy than the DJ 36 (on the AT 38mm...the larger one is probably a bit more balanced...). I still love the Aqua Terra, but it does fit differently than the DJ. Also, I prefer the silver DJ dial to the blue on the 36, but only because the blue dial makes the watch appear a bit smaller to my eye and 36 is already pushing it for me...

I was recently at my AD and they didn't have any DJ 36s in silver or blue dials (in fact, just two-tones with stones, etc...). They did have ATs, though, so...

Thank you, very useful.

I guess that's one more plus for the blue dial - I've got a fairly small wrist so the darker dial might make the watch look a bit more proportionate to my wrist. That's secondary though, my main worry is the versatility of the blue dial in comparison with the silver. Ideally, I'd try both on, but given how elusive they've become, I'm afraid it won't be possible.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you, very useful.

I guess that's one more plus for the blue dial - I've got a fairly small wrist so the darker dial might make the watch look a bit more proportionate to my wrist. That's secondary though, my main worry is the versatility of the blue dial in comparison with the silver. Ideally, I'd try both on, but given how elusive they've become, I'm afraid it won't be possible.
Blue dial is more versatile than silver - can look black in some light and could be bright blue in other settings. The lack of contrast between the indices and the silver dial may become more apparent over time.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you, very useful.

I don't think you can really go wrong with either of those dials. One thing I would like to clarify, though, is that my own preference for a dial that makes the watch case appear larger, has nothing to do with my wrist (I have a tiny 6.25 wrist) - rather, I find that when the dial appears smaller on the 36, it seems out of proportion with the 20mm bracelet. But I'm really splitting hairs here. DJ is classic choice!

The blue dial 38 AT is a stunner too, though! Haha...good luck!

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this Rolex a difficult model to buy at MSRP ($9,650)? 15066297-b0qlal7axwk94n80qcny391e-Zoom.jpg

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this Rolex a difficult model to buy at MSRP ($9,650)? View attachment 1537600
A Rolex or any Rolex can be purchased for less than MSRP. Its who you know. Having said that no AD is allowed to disclose that publicly. Yes recently the brand is scaling back production for the demand and supply equation to work in their favour. Sport line ie. Sub, and Daytona is a bit hard to get than DJ.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As Texasmade pointed out, ALL men's Rolex SS are difficult to find at ADs. Even DJs and OPs are wait listed watches now (or "special ordered"). The only sports model my AD had on hand, was a two-tone sea-dweller that the sales associate bragged about having in stock like it was a miracle. All the DJs were two tones with gems (ALL OF THEM). You can easily find almost anything on the grey market, but not under MSRP.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loved the DJ when I tried it on, I think it's very versatile and has an added touch of dressiness with the jubilee bracelet which I like. I haven't had the chance to try the Aqua Terra on given the ongoing lockdown in the UK. I guess this will be the real test.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is - for one's first purchase, is it a better idea to get the one 'grail' watch or get two very good watches for the same overall cost that complement each other in terms of their purpose (the Aqua Terra being more sporty and the Flagship Heritage being more dressy).

Sounds to me as though you've answered your own question. You "love" the Datejust and unless I'm mistaken you've referred to it as a "grail" piece.

Personally I'd definitely go with the Datejust. I think it's more versatile than the Aqua Terra and I prefer the overall look of the watch. Don't get me wrong, I like Omega and I think the Aqua Terra has plenty going for it, but I think you can always get one down the road if you really want one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads