• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Scurfa Watches makes a nice quartz beater. If I remember correctly, the founder is a professional saturation diver that started making the watches for himself and his friends to wear while working (instead of subs that had appreciated too much in value). Really nice quality and build (500 Meter WR) for $300.

Scurfa1.jpg

Scurfa2.jpg

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice collection, and seems well thought out, although that Patek chronograph seems rather large to wear with a suit, no? I also have one of those Luminox watches on an army green NATO strap that I wear doing yard work and other outdoor stuff. Certainly not "SF approved", but it's good for that purpose.
The chronograph is 39.4mm so it’s an excellent size to wear with suits (at least for me).

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m not such a big fan of NATO straps but it’s a good idea for the luminox. When I started scuba diving I didn’t want to risk expensive watches so got that same watch for $100 off eBay in 1996. Retail at the time was twice that. I had it over twenty years and the lights were starting to fade a bit, when I went diving off a boat a Clearwater FL. Checked the watch as I was getting suited up then went to adjust the bezel it as I was sat on the gunwhale about to drop On and it had disappeared. I can only guess that a spring bar broke and it fell over the side. Disappointing but it gave me good service for twenty years.
I replaced it with this a couple of years ago which I got for $160 off eBay and which is doing a good job. View attachment 1510047
I’ve beaten the crap out of my Luminox and it’s still working great. When canyoning in Puerto Vara, Chile, water pressure jammed the watch up my forearm causing one of the spring bars to fail. But I didn’t lose the watch as the second spring bar kept it in place and I simply took the watch off and shoved it into my bag.

Which leads me to wonder if you forgot to buckle your watch. For you to have lost your watch, both spring arms would have had to have failed and the NATO would still be on your wrist.

Absolutely not a big deal but just wondering if that’s a better hypothesis.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New watch is sitting in my wife’s office (long story) but I should have a picture up tomorrow.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve beaten the crap out of my Luminox and it’s still working great. When canyoning in Puerto Vara, Chile, water pressure jammed the watch up my forearm causing one of the spring bars to fail. But I didn’t lose the watch as the second spring bar kept it in place and I simply took the watch off and shoved it into my bag.

Which leads me to wonder if you forgot to buckle your watch. For you to have lost your watch, both spring arms would have had to have failed and the NATO would still be on your wrist.

Absolutely not a big deal but just wondering if that’s a better hypothesis.
No my point was I didn’t have it on a NATO it was on the original strap. So if there was a tendency for spring bars to fail, backed up by your story, maybe it happened to mine and the watch silently plopped in the drink!

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Scurfa Watches makes a nice quartz beater. If I remember correctly, the founder is a professional saturation diver that started making the watches for himself and his friends to wear while working (instead of subs that had appreciated too much in value). Really nice quality and build (500 Meter WR) for $300.

View attachment 1510078

View attachment 1510080
That looks great. Does someone do a similar quartz with a true GMT function?

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That looks great. Does someone do a similar quartz with a true GMT function?

Honestly, no clue. I'm usually a little bit of a snob when it comes to quartz watches, but made an exception for this one.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As mak1277 surmised, I didn’t fill in the leather strap - odd jacket hole. Rather, I’ve changed out my Luminox travel watch on a NATO for this:
0F51C869-490A-4296-B4A2-CF79827717A5.jpeg
Yep, I put my Explorer II on a NATO. Truth be told, the Luminox will still play a role in the rotation as my international travel watch when I’m traveling through the third world.
And I’ve replaced the Explorer II‘s jeans and shorts on a metal band slot with Batman.
E6B3F4B4-C896-4944-A82B-6D97D7E5C0B3.jpeg
Although the watches are functionally quite similar, the rotating bezel on Batman makes a big difference. I find myself timing quite a few things. For example, if I have to pick up food 25 minutes from now, I no longer have to remember the time. Rather, I simply rotate the bezel 25 minutes ahead of where the minute hand currently shows. The two siblings together:
007C2C5F-A53D-4188-8535-F5F9D36ADD48.jpeg

Allwhitebuffies

Reaction score
Where is the best place to learn about the ins and outs of buying a Rolex? Rolex forums I’ve seen seem to be flooded with so many questions it’s hard to find anything of use.

I’ve never had a watch except for my current Apple Watch, and I’m jumping into the deep end buying a day date 40 or day date ii in yellow gold. This is the only watch I want or care about.

I’m all about the best deal so other than yellow gold of those two models I’m open new assortment of options. One idea I’ve been tossing around is if resale is low on the ones with aftermarket diamond bezels, I’d buy one of those. Just looking for general information on what to look out for and how the market generally works.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where is the best place to learn about the ins and outs of buying a Rolex? Rolex forums I’ve seen seem to be flooded with so many questions it’s hard to find anything of use.

I’ve never had a watch except for my current Apple Watch, and I’m jumping into the deep end buying a day date 40 or day date ii in yellow gold. This is the only watch I want or care about.

I’m all about the best deal so other than yellow gold of those two models I’m open new assortment of options. One idea I’ve been tossing around is if resale is low on the ones with aftermarket diamond bezels, I’d buy one of those. Just looking for general information on what to look out for and how the market generally works.

Others may disagree but I am a proponent of purchasing from an authorized retailer. With Rolex, there doesn’t seem to be that much of a price differential between gray market and the AD. A Rolex AD will be there to service the watch when needed and you will also get the Rolex warranty, plus whatever warranty the AD adds on. For example, Rolex comes with a 3 year warranty. If purchased from Wempe, you’ll get an additional 2 years. Wempe is one example. Other AD’s offer similar benefits.

With gray market they give their own warranty but you’re basically taking the word of some nameless and faceless online merchant.

If you’re going to spend the kind of money to buy a Rolex, do it in a way that gives you some peace of mind.

Others may disagree and offer examples of having had an excellent experience with online gray market, and that’s fine. I’m simply offering my personal opinion.

Allwhitebuffies

Reaction score
Others may disagree but I am a proponent of purchasing from an authorized retailer. With Rolex, there doesn’t seem to be that much of a price differential between gray market and the AD. A Rolex AD will be there to service the watch when needed and you will also get the Rolex warranty, plus whatever warranty the AD adds on. For example, Rolex comes with a 3 year warranty. If purchased from Wempe, you’ll get an additional 2 years. Wempe is one example. Other AD’s offer similar benefits.

With gray market they give their own warranty but you’re basically taking the word of some nameless and faceless online merchant.

If you’re going to spend the kind of money to buy a Rolex, do it in a way that gives you some peace of mind.

Others may disagree and offer examples of having had an excellent experience with online gray market, and that’s fine. I’m simply offering my personal opinion.

Thanks. I looked at the authorized resellers online here in nyc(torneau, and watched of Switzerland) and they have have almost nothing used in what I like. The reason I am Most interested in used is because all else equal I’d prefer the day-date ii, which I don’t think is made anymore, not to mention the value prop. Are there tricks to buying, like going to a tertiary city and looking instead of just staying in nyc? Selection seems bad here.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no trick to buying a DD II since those are discontinued and have been for several years. Just find a seller that’s trustworthy. A lot of people like DavidSW. You can email him what you’re looking for and he can try to source one for you with the specs you want. If you’re buying a new DD40, I’d say just go to a Rolex boutique and tell them what you want. They should be able to get one without too much of a wait time.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I looked at the authorized resellers online here in nyc(torneau, and watched of Switzerland) and they have have almost nothing used in what I like. The reason I am Most interested in used is because all else equal I’d prefer the day-date ii, which I don’t think is made anymore, not to mention the value prop. Are there tricks to buying, like going to a tertiary city and looking instead of just staying in nyc? Selection seems bad here.

have you checked Bob’s Watches in midtown?
If they don’t have what you are looking for, they might be able to help track it down.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As mak1277 surmised, I didn’t fill in the leather strap - odd jacket hole. Rather, I’ve changed out my Luminox travel watch on a NATO for this:
View attachment 1511078
Yep, I put my Explorer II on a NATO. Truth be told, the Luminox will still play a role in the rotation as my international travel watch when I’m traveling through the third world.
And I’ve replaced the Explorer II‘s jeans and shorts on a metal band slot with Batman.
View attachment 1511079
Although the watches are functionally quite similar, the rotating bezel on Batman makes a big difference. I find myself timing quite a few things. For example, if I have to pick up food 25 minutes from now, I no longer have to remember the time. Rather, I simply rotate the bezel 25 minutes ahead of where the minute hand currently shows. The two siblings together:
View attachment 1511082

Nice. I’d have no concerns about wearing the batman with odd jackets and ties.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1511082

Yes, I have both of those and they are so different just because of the bezel that for me they are not redundant. Also the 16570 Explorer II is a great fly under the radar Rolex.

I agree with buying at an AD. The problem is generally if someone wants a sports model watch. Then unless one is their best customer it is unlikely they will provide you with one.

Actually, for the last few years Rolex has been providing a 5 year warranty. Not sure if Wempe still extends theirs or not.

I would say to the OP, if you don't know Rolex watches well, only buy from an AD or an incredibly reputable place. There are far too many fakes, or franken watches cobbled together with some real parts.

You could go and buy a book about Rolex on Amazon if you want some basic info. These days, there are not really any tricks to getting great deals. You can certainly ask for a discount. The worst that happens is they say no.

Buying a watch with an aftermarket diamond bezel, means Rolex will not service it, unless you let them remove and confiscate the aftermarket bezel and you buy a new factory made bezel from Rolex.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics