• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pmeis

Reaction score
Used watches are a great way to get a feel for if you'd really like something, especially when going to the AD isn't easy or common thing to do. When I first got into watches, I almost exclusively bought preowned. As my tastes have matured and I'm more confident in what I like and I find myself purchasing more things new at retail (or more likely with a nice discount). Still, I will pickup up something preowned from time to time when I get the itch to try something new without taking the full potential depreciation hit.

FPB

Reaction score
Serious question. Used watches, does it matter? or is it about proudly buying a watch at retail or above retail to flex?

Browsing Crown&caliber for good deals on watches.
The discount watches mean i could get a Panerai,etc used, for top Casio money.
What matters, the watch? or the flex?

- I want to say the watch. but does it mean more if you paid retail?

Paying more for a watch simply for bragging rights is just plain stupid. Paying for a brand new watch because you don't know or trust the history of the used watch is another story.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A fine middle ground (for most watch brands at least) is buying grey market. I bought my omega from a grey market dealer for less than 70% of MSRP, and only slightly more than what the used market was for the same watch at that time.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yea I bought my JLC on grey as well, but it was grey with AD warranty (you know Italian seller...) it was like 20~30 off I can't recall...

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Serious question. Used watches, does it matter? or is it about proudly buying a watch at retail or above retail to flex?

I don't have the collections that a lot of the regular posters in here do but I've got no problem buying used, especially since I know I'm likely to buy and sell and flip and trade pretty frequently.

If I were the type of person to buy one watch and keep it for many years, I'd be more likely to prefer new over used.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Though not sure how I would feel if it didn't have warranty. Like I see no problem buying Omega FOIS speedy on grey market without warranty, but say AP or ALS, probably not..., might not be rational, but that's certainly how I feel, the "in case something goes wrong"

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Though not sure how I would feel if it didn't have warranty. Like I see no problem buying Omega FOIS speedy on grey market without warranty, but say AP or ALS, probably not..., might not be rational, but that's certainly how I feel, the "in case something goes wrong"

For Omega at least, as soon as you get a service from Omega you pick up a manufacturer's warranty.

So as long as the grey price + cost of service < AD price, you win.

That said, I tend to agree that there's a threshold where I would prefer to buy from an AD vs. grey in terms of quality. I also tend to gravitate towards new/AD watches because I'd rather not spend the time it takes to research the seller and get comfortable with what I'm buying. Just easier to buy new from an AD and not worry about authenticity/condition. For me, the extra cost is acceptable in light of the time savings.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Whether one has to pay retail or above depends on the watch (maybe some Rolex, Patek, AP etc) and the market for it. Some watches, one may have no choice but to pay retail. However, it should always be about the watch.

If someone is buying a watch "To flex" I feel embarrassed for them. I suppose these are people lacking self confidence, and who think they impress people by talking about how much the spend.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really want to buy some vintage Piaget but without having to do the homework..., is there a dealer for old Piaget that I'll get sucker punched for like $200~$300 (for something ~$1 to $2k?) but I can just trust and buy?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really want to buy some vintage Piaget but without having to do the homework..., is there a dealer for old Piaget that I'll get sucker punched for like $200~$300 (for something ~$1 to $2k?) but I can just trust and buy?
You're already getting sucker punched for wanting to buy a Piaget.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Negroni time...
IMG_7554.jpeg

IMG_7555.jpeg

This guy arrived yesterday after some U.S. Customs delay. It's just a fun piece and I'm delighted with it. It makes me smile.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I really like some of the old Piagets. However, I've never seen anything in a reasonably modern size that was anywhere near $2,000...most of the ones under $4-5K are about 32mm or they are ladies watches. I could kick myself for not buying an Altiplano about 10 years ago from an AD losing its franchise. I think it was 36 mm, it was brand new, with a full warranty. It was 50% off so it would have been $5K. I decided to think about it overnight since it was almost dinner time and we had reservations. The next morning it was already sold. I didn't really like the WG as much. Oh well, the one that got away.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Should have gotten that Piaget QP from me a few years back! I ended up selling that on the 'dink for more than I had been asking here

oh I remember that one, but I had just bought a brand new JLC then, didn't want to get killed by my wife...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads