• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What were you expecting? What could they have done differently?

It's easy to say you are not happy but a little explanation would help people understand exactly why.......

to start with, they could have just been upfront with me instead of telling me to wait, go back and fiddle about. Telling me they didn’t have one, then they didn’t have the one I wanted and otherwise just making it an awkward experience.

Sure, I got what I wanted but should that be celebrated? They are in the business of selling things. They had something I wanted and it should have been simple.

It was 5 years ago and I’m over it. I suppose you just had to be there to experience it. I honestly just went in thinking it would be as simple as that.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
to start with, they could have just been upfront with me instead of telling me to wait, go back and fiddle about. Telling me they didn’t have one, then they didn’t have the one I wanted and otherwise just making it an awkward experience.

Sure, I got what I wanted but should that be celebrated? They are in the business of selling things. They had something I wanted and it should have been simple.

It was 5 years ago and I’m over it. I suppose you just had to be there to experience it. I honestly just went in thinking it would be as simple as that.

I empathize. It's a stupid charade and game they play just so you can buy something

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I empathize. It's a stupid charade and game they play just so you can buy something

and that’s exactly the feeling I got. Again, I went into it without a clear understanding of this game and was subjected to it. That was my grievance.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thanks for the info...........I see it more like a 1st world problem though.

I hope you are enjoying the watch which is all that matters.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info...........I see it more like a 1st world problem though.

I hope you are enjoying the watch which is all that matters.

it is most certainly a 1st world problem. Then again, I live in the first world and lead a somewhat cushy life.

and yes, I am enjoying the watch.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have any of you purchased a SS sports Rolex from an AD since Coronavirus started? If so, did you have a pre-existing relationship with the AD? Just trying to gauge what effect, if any, Coronavirus has had on the market.
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'm looking for a white-dial Daytona, which I'm guessing is scarcer than hen's teeth. :(
I went to my local Rolex AD this morning and got the answer I expected: "Everybody's chasing the same watches. We get two or three. Those watches go to existing clients. I recommend starting a relationship with an authorized dealer, either us or somebody else. If you don't, you might get the watch in ten years." :fu:

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to my local Rolex AD this morning and got the answer I expected: "Everybody's chasing the same watches. We get two or three. Those watches go to existing clients. I recommend starting a relationship with an authorized dealer, either us or somebody else. If you don't, you might get the watch in ten years." :fu:

Haha it seems that people like you and me are actively attempting to follow that exact advice and “start a relationship with an authorized dealer” but for some reason beyond our control we are being confounded in our efforts!

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha it seems that people like you and me are actively attempting to follow that exact advice and “start a relationship with an authorized dealer” but for some reason beyond our control we are being confounded in our efforts!
"Start a relationship" means buy something other than what you really want. No way am I buying a Datejust just so I can move up the waiting list to buy a Daytona.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watching some soccer on a chill afternoon...
466D8D16-58B9-4CC4-83D5-C094649171B7.jpeg

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Start a relationship" means buy something other than what you really want. No way am I buying a Datejust just so I can move up the waiting list to buy a Daytona.

I still don’t understand why this surprises people. If you owned a jewelry store would you do anything different? Your job would be to sell as much as possible, which means using carrots like a Daytona to influence people to buy more .

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still don’t understand why this surprises people. If you owned a jewelry store would you do anything different? Your job would be to sell as much as possible, which means using carrots like a Daytona to influence people to buy more .

I have zero problem with this happening from the retailer perspective. The enforced scarcity that Rolex has engineered has put me off the brand though.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh I know that’s what’s inferred by the phrase, but at its face “start a relationship” means buying something from a dealer, which is what I’m attempting to do! Instead they want to sell me something I don’t want to give me access to buying something I do.
I would be curious to know how successful this strategy is proving. We all know due to the demand that the sought-after Rolexes are going to sell anyway, I wonder if dealers are seeing much success with this ‘collateral buying’ business plan?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the plus side, the AD I visited was selling its entire TAG selection for 30% off. Doubt that a purchase would move me up the waiting list for a Daytona. :crackup:

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the plus side, the AD I visited was selling its entire TAG selection for 30% off. Doubt that a purchase would move me up the waiting list for a Daytona. :crackup:

Do people buy TAGs for less more money than 30% off? I mean, I dont buy Omega without 20% off...

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure that counts as a qualified purchase anymore. It's more like buy a couple breitlings, some yurman and some other bullshit and we'll add you to the list. Its finally reached a point for me where I'm not willing to play the game anymore. I'm not mad about it, the free market is the free market but the manipulation thing is just getting old.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads