• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

va230815

Reaction score
Either the hardest or 2nd hardest (blue skydweller being the other) to get id say

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'm looking for a white-dial Daytona, which I'm guessing is scarcer than hen's teeth. :(
Not hard to get if you're willing to pay over MSRP or buy a platinum DD. I bet the white dial Daytona will magically appear in the next shipment or the AD will say the customer couldn't pick it up and now you can have this one sitting in the safe if you buy a platinum DD.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In 2014 I purchased my white dial SS Daytona. I don't think the ceramic had come out yet. I just walked into the AD, CD Peacock in this case, and said I was interested in buying one. At the time I was not aware of the wait lists or all of the hullabaloo around this particular timepiece. I just had always liked it and was ready to buy one.

I think I may have posted about this before, but what ensued was one of the most bizarre purchasing experiences I've ever been subjected to. The SA said they didn't have one. Then she had me wait, went back and forth with to the back and into the managers office. Came back and said she might have one, but wasn't sure. She had to check the vault. A few more trips back and forth into the managers office. Finally came out with it. I bought it and wrote them off. I'll not do business with them again. Not even a ******* follow up.

Moving forward, I'll use Wempe. They may not be local to me but I don't buy watches all the time. They were gracious, helpful, friendly and very professional. Excellent post sale follow up.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In 2014 I purchased my white dial SS Daytona. I don't think the ceramic had come out yet. I just walked into the AD, CD Peacock in this case, and said I was interested in buying one. At the time I was not aware of the wait lists or all of the hullabaloo around this particular timepiece. I just had always liked it and was ready to buy one.

I think I may have posted about this before, but what ensued was one of the most bizarre purchasing experiences I've ever been subjected to. The SA said they didn't have one. Then she had me wait, went back and forth with to the back and into the managers office. Came back and said she might have one, but wasn't sure. She had to check the vault. A few more trips back and forth into the managers office. Finally came out with it. I bought it and wrote them off. I'll not do business with them again. Not even a ******* follow up.

Moving forward, I'll use Wempe. They may not be local to me but I don't buy watches all the time. They were gracious, helpful, friendly and very professional. Excellent post sale follow up.

From about 2009 (after 2008 economic meltdown) through about 2013/14 steel Daytonas were not that hard to get. The market was quite soft on new steel Daytonas. Dealers weren't putting them in showcases, but there really wasn't a long wait, or any wait at some dealers. In 2009/2010, my dad called a local AD, they had a white dial in stock. He went looked at it and even talked them into a 5% discount. In 2012 or 2013, I was at the mall killing time while my wife was shopping. I popped into the local Rolex AD. I looked in the showcase, and they had a bunch of Subs, GMTS, Explorers etc. The SA made some small talk, and within 2 minutes of chatting he said, "If you are interested I have a brand new white dial steel Daytona that came in yesterday." I'm sure they just had been keeping it in the safe and things were slow. I had never purchased anything from this AD.

So there was a small window between the economic meltdown of 08 and the release of the new ceramic Daytonas, when they really were not that difficult to obtain.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

re CD Peacock: But...they...sold you the watch...the very, very, very hard to get watch. I'm not sure I follow your anger about that transaction...? The SA wasn't sure if she had one [at all...or available to sell, etc?]? Ok, but then she sold you the watch?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
re CD Peacock: But...they...sold you the watch...the very, very, very hard to get watch. I'm not sure I follow your anger about that transaction...? The SA wasn't sure if she had one [at all...or available to sell, etc?]? Ok, but then she sold you the watch?

they were pricks. By the way, that’s what store do....sell ****. Unlike some, I don’t consider it a “favor” that someone sells me something. I didn’t need the kabuki theater.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they were pricks. By the way, that’s what store do....sell ****. Unlike some, I don’t consider it a “favor” that someone sells me something. I didn’t need the kabuki theater.

ooook, but i just don't why the following scenario seems all that hard to fathom:

Customer (to SA): "I'd like a daytona"

SA (to customer): "...let me go check if we have a daytona..."

*SA goes and finds daytona...then goes to find manager...*

SA (to manager): "hey, i have someone out front interested in a daytona and it appears we have one. is it waiting to be picked up by another customer, or can this guy have it?"

Manager (to SA): "give me a moment...i need to finish what i'm doing and i'll be right with you."

*SA goes back to vault to prepare the watch for sale and perhaps look closer for any indications that it has been promised to someone else...*

Manager (to SA): "you know what? i had promised that watch to ______ but he hasn't gotten back to me."

*SA goes back to vault again to get the watch...*

*SA sells you the watch...*

You: "What the ****!!! Assholes...!"

Haha...I just don't get it...

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'm looking for a white-dial Daytona, which I'm guessing is scarcer than hen's teeth. :(

Are there any other models that interest you? Possibly something with precious metal or a two-tone sports Rolex? That might open the door.

I was fortunate enough to get a Hulk after Covid initially hit hard. I do have a very good relationship with my AD who I genuinely like. That said with what they've got for me in less than two years is kind of crazy. In fact I am somewhat under the impression that I'm cut off somewhat now, but I'm getting mixed signals. I won't know until after the Holidays, but I've made it known the top two on my list are the white dial Daytona and the Batman.

That said they did a get a local collector and smaller vintage dealer the new Kermit. He hasn't spent as much with the AD as I have nor is he any more likely to buy any jewelry in the next couple of years if ever. However he did also just get a solid gold Root Beer. Not sure if he got that from the AD (I know for a fact he got the Kermit from them). He had a two-tone Root Beer and the AD told me about one of his watches "I told him he couldn't sell it for at least two years since I know he's a dealer."

I'd have a look at some grey dealers and see what previous generation two-tone Daytonas you can find. I'm not seeing them now, but I was seeing a few out there at one grey dealer and if I recall correctly some were less than msrp of a new steel Daytona. I think one was a Zenith Daytona to boot. I'd also say keep trying to forge a relationship with your AD. If there's something else you like maybe they could get that for you until the day they offer you a Daytona.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Odd request, but if anyone here in the US goes into their Rolex AD and notices an 114300 Oyster Perpetual 39mm with red grape dial still around please PM me their location.

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have any of you purchased a SS sports Rolex from an AD since Coronavirus started? If so, did you have a pre-existing relationship with the AD? Just trying to gauge what effect, if any, Coronavirus has had on the market.
Relationships help.
IMHO some of the AD's started emptying their vaults by late April, as i had multiple calls.
I jumped on a GMT (BLRO) in May and received the call for the new SUB last week (9 weeks from ask).
I have visited random AD's in the previous few months and have seen a Rootbeer, plenty of Yachtmaster 40's and SD's in their cases.
If some of these guys have been unable to re-negotiate their Leases, they must be scrambling for cash - which must put the waitlist BS out the window....

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only relationship I have is with the Houston Omega Boutique. I've bought a bunch of accessories from them the past 3 years but no watches recently. They said I'm near the front of the list for the Snoopy 50 but I'm sure that's just sales talk. At least they're friendly to talk to and not snobbish when I walk into the store unlike the Rolex Boutique.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Patina on german silver is so beatiful.

Attachments

• l1b.jpg
    l1b.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 104

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads