• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the first things you need to figure out is whether you want something quartz or mechanical. If you want something with a quartz movement, Hamilton and Tissot have a lot of great options under $500 for women. You could also try the Poor Man's Watch thread for other suggestions when you have a better idea what you want.

p0wn3d

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Hi there. A quick question, maybe you can help ,
im planing on gifting a nice watch to me GF when she graduates but I know nothing about watches. My budged is around $500 but could go up if justified.
do you have any suggestion on models or grands?
thx.

Seiko and Citizen will give you the most options.
So you could really pick something just for her, that she might not see another person wearing often.
you could even bump up the budget a little and get her an amazing looking watch. the $500-600 budget has A lot of choice.
You could even go a bit further, and put together a watch/band gift for her. Example: Take a watch like this >
Get it polished, and choose a band for it. putting in some thought. or? Let her choose a band for it. To have a memorable shared experience.

Good luck.

CWV

Reaction score
Seiko and Citizen will give you the most options.
So you could really pick something just for her, that she might not see another person wearing often.
you could even bump up the budget a little and get her an amazing looking watch. the $500-600 budget has A lot of choice.
You could even go a bit further, and put together a watch/band gift for her. Example: Take a watch like this >
Get it polished, and choose a band for it. putting in some thought. or? Let her choose a band for it. To have a memorable shared experience.

Good luck.
Thx so much to both of you I will read about the diferente vereeeb quartz and mechanical. I’d say my absolute limit is $1000. I think going higher would be just an exces

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thx so much to both of you I will read about the diferente vereeeb quartz and mechanical. I’d say my absolute limit is $1000. I think going higher would be just an exces

this topic has come up before. My only advice is to get her something you know she will like and not you like or you think you like.
Unless she is into mechanical watches, I’d avoid it. Most women, and this is a generalization, view a watch more as a piece of jewelry and an accessory vs. a functional timepiece or tool.

I remember about 10 years ago when those Michele watches were so hot with the ladies due to being able to easily swap out the straps so they could color coordinate with their outfits. Guys don’t think like that.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
There are many types of women. At the moment only he has a shot of knowing what type she is.
I Have given my wife countless watches, from a vintage "Queen Seiko", to Dolce & Gabbana Bling Bling.
The watches she wears the most? - A $10 Blue rubber, white face watch with a red seconds hand, that i picked up at the tool store because i thought she would like it for work.
And a Black Ceramic Rado Ladies dress watch.
recently she has been wearing a (hard to find in the wild) Seiko Ladies Automatic 2 tone Dive watch.
She is the sort of lady that would wear a Panerai,
Just because of how it looks.
Or? A Timex Explorer? Fossil? All the same to her. unless it stops. yeah. no wind ups.

All I'm saying is, Buy Her a watch. Think about the topic of her. What styling cues work for her style? Or with anything? Sporty or Classy?
Something outrageous? Vintage?

You don't have to spend $1,000. Because when you find the right one? It won't matter.

CWV

Reaction score
There are many types of women. At the moment only he has a shot of knowing what type she is.
I Have given my wife countless watches, from a vintage "Queen Seiko", to Dolce & Gabbana Bling Bling.
The watches she wears the most? - A $10 Blue rubber, white face watch with a red seconds hand, that i picked up at the tool store because i thought she would like it for work.
And a Black Ceramic Rado Ladies dress watch.
recently she has been wearing a (hard to find in the wild) Seiko Ladies Automatic 2 tone Dive watch.
She is the sort of lady that would wear a Panerai,
Just because of how it looks.
Or? A Timex Explorer? Fossil? All the same to her. unless it stops. yeah. no wind ups.

All I'm saying is, Buy Her a watch. Think about the topic of her. What styling cues work for her style? Or with anything? Sporty or Classy?
Something outrageous? Vintage?

You don't have to spend $1,000. Because when you find the right one? It won't matter.
Yes of course I have to buy it thinking of her likes. Something flat-ish not too big. But I also want something of quality that will last.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the first things you need to figure out is whether you want something quartz or mechanical. If you want something with a quartz movement, Hamilton and Tissot have a lot of great options under $500 for women. You could also try the Poor Man's Watch thread for other suggestions when you have a better idea what you want.

You know... $500 is expensive for a watch. I recommend:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know... $500 is expensive for a watch.

Says the man posting a pic of a $200,000 watch... :laugh:

Seriously, though, as @Phileas Fogg said above, most women look at watches as pure fashion items - the appearance and (sometimes) the brand are important. The internals are not important at all.

There are some exceptions, but the vast majority of women have no interest at all in the internal workings of watches and would far prefer the convenience of a quartz watch that never needs to be wound and goes five or more years without needing a battery change.

Some years back, when we were in Japan, my wife bought a solar-powered Seiko with a rectangular case on a bracelet. She thinks it's the greatest watch she's ever had - looks classically-appealing, bracelet never needs replacing (unlike a strap), and the battery never (or almost never) needs replacing.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi there. A quick question, maybe you can help ,
im planing on gifting a nice watch to me GF when she graduates but I know nothing about watches. My budged is around $500 but could go up if justified.
do you have any suggestion on models or grands?
thx.

Realistically, there's a pretty strong chance that "apple watch" is the only correct answer to this question.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know... $500 is expensive for a watch. I recommend:

Says the man posting a pic of a $200,000 watch... :laugh:

Damn! I've got a few hundred bucks sitting in my PayPal account from selling a watch last week and I was just about to go hunt this one down... and I don't even like Pokemon!

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Smart watches last a couple of years and the technology is outdated. As a graduation gift my idea is to give something that she will keep and appreciate always

Does she wear a watch currently? Is she "into" watches? I'm asking because I know that if I bought my wife a watch, there's a 99% chance it would just gather dust, no matter how "meaningful" it was as a gift. After a couple failed attempts, I just sucked it up and bought her an apple watch, which she absolutely loves.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads