• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn, this Aquastar Deepstar Re-edition is great. I love vintage and vintage-y chronographs, and this one checks all the boxes, down to the column-wheel chronograph. I wish it was a little under 40 mm, but that's a minor quibble. Want.
I couldn't resist and went with the watch in steel gray. I've seen a number of online comments that the watch is "overpriced." Well, all mechanical watches are overpriced given the ability to tell time more accurately with a quartz watch or a smartphone. In my view, the pre-order price of under $2,800 is a decent value for an attractive diver that is water resistant to 200m and that contains an automatic, column-wheel chronograph. The market apparently agrees, as Aquastar is currently selling the second batch of pre-orders.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I couldn't resist and went with the watch in steel gray. I've seen a number of online comments that the watch is "overpriced." Well, all mechanical watches are overpriced given the ability to tell time more accurately with a quartz watch or a smartphone. In my view, the pre-order price of under $2,800 is a decent value for an attractive diver that is water resistant to 200m and that contains an automatic, column-wheel chronograph. The market apparently agrees, as Aquastar is currently selling the second batch of pre-orders.

It'll be interesting to see how it wears on the wrist with that lug to lug and case size. Definitely post pictures when you get it.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like the art deco feel.

I like the blue dialed version, but can't see myself wearing it because of the 40 mm size is all dial and will wear pretty large. Also not a fan of those lugs. I'll also echo the comment that I can't see myself spending $7,500 on this watch. Would rather get a GO Senator Sixties or something like that if I want a blue dial watch in that price ballpark.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the blue dialed version, but can't see myself wearing it because of the 40 mm size is all dial and will wear pretty large. Also not a fan of those lugs. I'll also echo the comment that I can't see myself spending $7,500 on this watch. Would rather get a GO Senator Sixties or something like that if I want a blue dial watch in that price ballpark.
Yeah, I like the look even with the lugs but it's too pricey.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's definitely worth inquiring with your SA. My SA has offered in the past to ask Cartier about a custom piece or customized piece if an item just wasn't right for me. They do not always agree to do certain requests, and the cost can be high. However, the market in recent years has been quite strong on rare, low production Cartier pieces...so that may offer some consolation about the high price. Wishing you luck and keep us posted.
Seems to be a VVIP request to me or can normal people that only spend a bit on jewelry and leather goods at cartier request custom /one of a kind pieces?

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems to be a VVIP request to me or can normal people that only spend a bit on jewelry and leather goods at cartier request custom /one of a kind pieces?

I don't know if there is any kind of spending history/requirement to commission a piece. My SA previously suggested it to me and there are certainly people who have spent far more on Cartier pieces than I have over the years. Although I do have a good relationship with my SA and boutique. Cartier has a long history of making things at the request of its customers. However, it is up to them as to whether to undertake one's request and that may be subject to a variety of factors.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While like Dino, i have a good relationship with my local boutique, Cartier will produce a Commande Speciale if the request is within certain parameters which are not readily disclosed. However, for a piece to be made with your own stones, Monture Cartier, a strong relationship with the brand is a requirement.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am really excited for you and very interested in seeing wrist shots/ your thoughts when you have it in hand. I also think you picked the best colorway. Congrats!

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While like Dino, i have a good relationship with my local boutique, Cartier will produce a Commande Speciale if the request is within certain parameters which are not readily disclosed. However, for a piece to be made with your own stones, Monture Cartier, a strong relationship with the brand is a requirement.
got it does not seem to be like patek where only eric clapton and john mayer can get pieces made. interesting, maybe I will inquire

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is utterly and completely appealing...
Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 8.59.07 PM.png

Teddy Bears, black tie, and Negronis. What's not to like?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads