• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Phoenician

Reaction score
The former, it’s based on their main plate arrangement carried over from their perp calendars. The Panodate at 4 o’clock position has been a mainstay of theirs for 25+ years

dan'l

Reaction score
@Phoenician, I like what you‘ve shared of your collection so far! I have considered both watches in the past. I really like the GO, especially the Großdatum, but never pulled the trigger. For some reason I couldn‘t get past the clear case back, believing that pilot watches should have a solid one and be anti-magnetic. But every now and then I consider getting one anyways.

I also like micro-rotor on the Chopard. I wish the watches using that movement didn‘t come with a date, though. I find it way too small and distracts from the dial. But still a wonderful watch you have.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Insta-kop!

:crazy:

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sad. Ralph Lauren actually made some nice watches, a few of which have been pictured in this thread. I guess those watches were the equivalent of Purple Label, while these watches are the polo shirts that are made specifically for the RL outlets. (On an unrelated note, I've read that the outlets are the most profitable part of RL.)

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sad. Ralph Lauren actually made some nice watches, a few of which have been pictured in this thread. I guess those watches were the equivalent of Purple Label, while these watches are the polo shirts that are made specifically for the RL outlets. (On an unrelated note, I've read that the outlets are the most profitable part of RL.)

This^.

RL has made some legit watches in the past, and Ralph himself is supposedly an avid collector. These are obviously dog ****, but there have been some winners.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really sad to see him selling garbage so far down market, after offering some really nice, tasteful watches with high quality movements.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If I’m not mistaken, I believe they used a JLC movement.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here’s an interesting article from 2017. It’s obviously dated so I’m not sure how much of it is still factually accurate for today.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I’m not mistaken, I believe they used a JLC movement.

I'm not sure if they all did, but I know that a few of them that I looked at used JLC movements.

*Edit- looking at the article you posted they also used movements from Piaget, IWC, and quartz movements were from Cartier and Sellita.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have any of you ever used a dealer to locate a particular grail of yours that’s hard to find? Is this something they do for a fee? I’ve sourced all of mine from different sources so I don’t have a relationship with any one dealer.

Last edited:

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have any of you ever used a dealer to locate a particular grail of yours that’s hard to find? Is this something they do for a fee? I’ve sourced all of mine from different sources so I don’t have a relationship with any one dealer.

I haven't but know a few dealers and they work either by cost + commission or all-in price

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads