• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was very excited looking at the Instagram of the new Ming watch, thinking they had mixed a mysterious and, sort of, very abstractly, a diver:

Alas just a black background... with clear turn circles too, a deep black enamel would have been quite good.

Now I want a mysterious diver... with modern technology, it should be possible!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was very excited looking at the Instagram of the new Ming watch, thinking they had mixed a mysterious and, sort of, very abstractly, a diver:
Now I want a mysterious diver... with modern technology, it should be possible!

The way the bracelet is near the head of the watch, it doesn't look like it fits properly. There appears to be a bizarre gap between the bracelet and curved part of the watch case between the lugs.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't posted in a while, but new watches are always a good reason to resume.
View attachment 1437770

His 'n' hers Reversos. Mine is reference 3858520, hers is 2608441. Mine has the wrong strap, which will be replaced in a few weeks with a matching blue alligator strap, too.

I ordered these through Shreve, in San Francisco, back in February. And you know what happened next. They were finally delivered last week. Shreve had them engraved (the same on both watches) and FedEx'd them down to me today.

Congrats on the his and hers Reversos! They look great together. Cheers :cheers:

an draoi

Reaction score
Appropriately enough, "ming" in British slang means to stink up the place.
'minging' in British (particularly, Scottish and English, I think) slang means extremely ugly, unpleasant or distasteful. As in, "Have you seen the new Hublot Big Bang Sang Bleu II? It's properly minging."

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The way the bracelet is near the head of the watch, it doesn't look like it fits properly. There appears to be a bizarre gap between the bracelet and curved part of the watch case between the lugs.

There is a gap - the bracelet doesn't fit flush up against the case. Ming state that is deliberate, as the bracelet is designed to be a "universal" bracelet that will fit all of their previous models, too.

'minging' in British (particularly, Scottish and English, I think) slang means extremely ugly, unpleasant or distasteful. As in, "Have you seen the new Hublot Big Bang Sang Bleu II? It's properly minging."

I haven't heard that before - I've only heard of "minge" (with an "e"), which is a rather rude slang term in British English. I wonder if the two terms are somehow related?

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1437770

His 'n' hers Reversos. Mine is reference 3858520, hers is 2608441. Mine has the wrong strap, which will be replaced in a few weeks with a matching blue alligator strap, too.

I ordered these through Shreve, in San Francisco, back in February. And you know what happened next. They were finally delivered last week. Shreve had them engraved (the same on both watches) and FedEx'd them down to me today.

love the Classic model. Hand cranked right?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ming is not everyone's cup of tea, but at least they're doing something new and exciting and not churning out homages with stock movements. The market is responding, as their drops sell out within five minutes. (I can't decide if Ming is the 18 East of the watch world or if 18 East is the Ming of the casual menswear world.) I've got my eye on the 27.01.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But the speedmaster has a black dial so you'd be mixing brown with black anyway if you wear it with brown shoes

Right...I should have said mixing brown and black _leathers_. I find watch dials fairy neutral in terms of matching an entire outfit (with exceptions), but it's easy for the different colors of leather to look really bad (in my opinion...). In this sense, though, a bracelet is more versatile...but I just like the look of speedys on a strap...

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1437770

I’ve actually been thinking of a his and her’s watch purchase. It’s nice to see how you pulled it off.

RJG

Reaction score
Tudor Black Bay. Been wearing this all week.
79230scuba.JPG

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a gap - the bracelet doesn't fit flush up against the case. Ming state that is deliberate, as the bracelet is designed to be a "universal" bracelet that will fit all of their previous models, too.

Yes, I saw that it is a universal bracelet to fit other models, but IMHO having a gap like that real detracts from its presentation. It's like putting a guy who wears a 38R suit into a 46L and saying it fits that way because it is intended to fit everyone from 130lbs to 220lbs. I prefer sports watches on bracelets, but I want the bracelet to look like it was designed for the watch.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I agree, and I don't think that it's an ideal look.

It reminds me of the 1980s/1990s, where quite a lot of watches came on bracelets but didn't have end-pieces that allowed the bracelet to fit flush up against the case.

Then there seemed to be a movement away from bracelets towards straps (probably because straps don't pull hair and don't get filled with skin, dirt and so on) and most of the brands that still made watches with bracelets had fitted end-pieces.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
@Andy57 so do we get to see the engravings? Understood if it's too personal :colgate:

+1 congrats on the pickups.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads