• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever had a watch-related dream? Last night, I dreamt I won a drawing for a watch at a store. I went to the counter to pick up my prize and the salesman took out an Audemars Piguet box, which was a half globe with a clear top. I got really excited. Then the salesman took out the watch, which was a gold rectangular monstrosity with a curved crystal. (It looked nothing like anything AP produces, so that should have been my clue that I was in a dream.) The watch was way too big for my wrist, so the salesman told me I could choose from a few alternatives. He brought out a ladies watch and two old-school Casio digital watches. I reluctantly picked one of the Casios, and the head of the watch subsequently broke off from the band. Then I woke up.

I suppose the dream was better than the alternative of winning a very desirable watch then waking up. :lol:

Very close, I banged a stripper in a strip club one night in a booth. They kicked her out but not me.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All speedmasters look better on straps! (*ducks...*)
I usually lean towards bracelets on sports watches - especially divers. Leather doesn’t do well in seawater although there are some nice rubber versions. But a speedy shouldn’t be near deep water at 50m WR and Clooney wore his speedy on a chunky black leather strap in The American’ which I thought was a good look I might do myself one day.

Last edited:

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually lean towards bracelets on sports watches - especially divers. Leather doesn’t do well in seawater although there are some nice rubber versions. But a speedy shouldn’t be near deep water at 50m WR and Clooney wore his speedy on a chI my black leather strap in The American’ which I thought was a good look I might do myself one day.

Yeah, bracelets and natos on divers and leather [racing] straps on speedys...

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_2895.jpg

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Totally. I was just telling a friend of mine that what the world really needs is for Omega to do some special editions :/
seriously!!

like for example, perhaps they could commemorate the Olympic games every now and then? Just thinking out loud....... =)

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speedy looks so much better on a black strap vs. brown.

Perhaps in the abstract it looks good on black, but as a matter of function I prefer any shade of brown before black.

To me it looks too formal on black leather (especially that glossy alligator...). I suppose if you wear black shoes a lot a black leather strap makes sense. But I very rarely wear black shoes and when I do I wear a gold dress watch on black alligator. I suppose it doesn't matter if you don't worry about mixing brown and black, but I do, so...

chrfi

Reaction score
Oh, I disagree with the posts above. I like the FOIS on brown leather. Looks good on the bracelets too, though.

Me too, and I also like the leather strap taper a lot. Fortunately, with the Speedy there is an option for everyone!-)

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
seriously!!

like for example, perhaps they could commemorate the Olympic games every now and then? Just thinking out loud....... =)
They could also play up their connection with the NASA space program or James Bond. Just so many missed marketing opportunities!

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They could also play up their connection with the NASA space program or James Bond. Just so many missed marketing opportunities!
bro.........we could totally write a letter them and hopefully open their eyes to all these missed opportunities

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps in the abstract it looks good on black, but as a matter of function I prefer any shade of brown before black.

To me it looks too formal on black leather (especially that glossy alligator...). I suppose if you wear black shoes a lot a black leather strap makes sense. But I very rarely wear black shoes and when I do I wear a gold dress watch on black alligator. I suppose it doesn't matter if you don't worry about mixing brown and black, but I do, so...
But the speedmaster has a black dial so you'd be mixing brown with black anyway if you wear it with brown shoes

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't posted in a while, but new watches are always a good reason to resume.
IMG_5741.jpeg

His 'n' hers Reversos. Mine is reference 3858520, hers is 2608441. Mine has the wrong strap, which will be replaced in a few weeks with a matching blue alligator strap, too.

I ordered these through Shreve, in San Francisco, back in February. And you know what happened next. They were finally delivered last week. Shreve had them engraved (the same on both watches) and FedEx'd them down to me today.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads