• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always wondered about GTGs like Redbar. What's to stop a bad guy from finding out about it and robbing it? I don't own any watches worth five figures, but I imagine a lot of folks who attend GTGs do and would be skittish about that possibility.

Redbar you have to fill out an application and be accepted before you will receive notice of where they are. I haven't been to a RedBar GTG, but I hear they take security quite serious. I've been to a few watch GTGs years ago. A few people were ok, but really didn't make any lasting friendships. In addition, one of the most memorable things was a guy with a "Prince Valiant Haircut," who was completely obnoxious. He actually, said loudly enough for several people to hear, "Unless you are wearing a Lange or an F.P.Journe you aren't worth my time to talk to." At first I thought he was joking, but he wasn't.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many years ago, I went to a Redbar DC event with Chase Fancher from Oak and Oscar. Super nice guy, and I subsequently bought an O&O watch that is one of my favorites. I don't remember needing to pass an application process, but maybe it's less of an issue for DC than NYC. The GTG was super low-key, in the common room of a large apartment building in the DC suburbs. I consumed a large amount of bourbon and still have no idea how I got home that night.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your service and congrats on your Rolex Submariner! Yes, the bracelet was probably one of the least expensive elements of the old steel 5 digit Rolex watches. Its important to remember that this bracelet design on them has been around for at least 40+ years...which was when these watches were roughly $1,000 (and that's before a discount...which was commonly 25% on steel ones in the early 80s). I doubt any changes/improvements were made to the bracelets other than eventually adding solid end links. So yes, I can see them seeming cheap today compared to modern bracelets from other brands, which have solid center links and machined clasps. I'm actually wearing a 19 year old 16570 Explorer II today, on an oyster bracelet with hollow center links, a stamped steel clasp, and solid end links. I've never had any comfort issues with mine. However, it can depend on the bone structure of one's wrist or how hairy one's wrist is. Many years ago an acquaintance with very hairy arms had a 1990s TAG Heuer SEL, and said he couldn't wear a Rolex, or Omega or several other brands because they pulled the hair on his wrist and were very uncomfortable.

Figured I would finally upload a pic.
AEDEF2FB-B976-4B16-84CB-0D801B8DAA57.jpeg

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many years ago, I went to a Redbar DC event with Chase Fancher from Oak and Oscar. Super nice guy, and I subsequently bought an O&O watch that is one of my favorites. I don't remember needing to pass an application process, but maybe it's less of an issue for DC than NYC. The GTG was super low-key, in the common room of a large apartment building in the DC suburbs. I consumed a large amount of bourbon and still have no idea how I got home that night.

Yes, sounds like the Redbar gathering was more low key in DC. Also sounds like your experience at the GTG was better than mine and the people were more down to earth.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always wondered about GTGs like Redbar. What's to stop a bad guy from finding out about it and robbing it? I don't own any watches worth five figures, but I imagine a lot of folks who attend GTGs do and would be skittish about that possibility.

Yeah, I'm a Redbar member and had to provide info and answer some questions before receiving invites to events...

tigerpac

Reaction score
There's often a bit of a vouching system as well. An existing member can help give the green light if he or she personally knows someone interested.

Have a nice Sunday everyone.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No it’s an aftermarket bracelet made by Uncle Seiko. He also created a flat link bracelet for the FOIS if you want something closer to the new EW 321 Speedmaster.

I agree on the strap. When I bought this watch a few years ago I just didn’t bond with it because I didn’t like the way the strap looked. It was too short and I didn’t like the taper of it (19mm to 16mm). I prefer less taper on straps and tapered look on bracelets.

tigerpac

Reaction score
Totally agree on the FIOS case and the strap. The tapering leather strap just isn't optimal with the heft of the case. Here's my CK2998 Blue on the 'non-vintage' Omega OEM bracelet and a friend's AP.

NmV9G1N_PHpORzTVU0es3swtNJMK3aWKbXF1x8h2zOfYDkV5qDH7SplaL9wf6ZeQ9xVg2wCniTVt_4OIHgU1ewws6Zhfz27QGhu4kuP00EDOslTSdHeEghTViOuXURA7cXpge2AnJNWrW8aoc7BX3W8ELUR8Ktn2qo5QUcaREGMEf8AtWiDpCCr_kqIZ1KcNFrGuvCmhajSUhz9v02QN6n1PMRilfGdSw9b4CChXUhADQS08RXWYcudKgjH2aF-IkjlvzeFNnIxiLksyChlLF94h9wuJLz8G5xN8-Oz4h6DxTQ0P9LJ2gmydhea9N7CV7EBYJYyZVcPYY9XssviG0TAEH85zzAnwE3R6LSlm2sJOmiLVNnChmz_SSDN1PXfoWr1u3-m1i89dBYNq_Ex75IcS-UnVHwbI_SAsEZEcx9UgDVvjBJ2xlpzGDOhsRR8YX5vG6bKlaeaBra6Uh6xhfeldXQ2PpYfgfoPXBXJ6pRS04VZadCdYKK6PTBWwAzq5kY9ugQen5BU-GV0XbbhyFCXLEv_3AzO395JMRPiQIMvrSGqGTFjgOW6fEEQVlvtoYeskls5JDlFAr9vwzt6aq05LbFZL0-Pya0NEqTuOFTDTNGpsC6OYkMQfmNRU3Dr8_WMCuXvBN_yWgnMthSKliR9Y_VYvN_P9qip1mR56TmaTOyGtpP7yJ5NRkjPw2F0=w651-h867-no

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, I disagree with the posts above. I like the FOIS on brown leather. Looks good on the bracelets too, though.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally agree on the FIOS case and the strap. The tapering leather strap just isn't optimal with the heft of the case. Here's my CK2998 Blue on the 'non-vintage' Omega OEM bracelet and a friend's AP.

NmV9G1N_PHpORzTVU0es3swtNJMK3aWKbXF1x8h2zOfYDkV5qDH7SplaL9wf6ZeQ9xVg2wCniTVt_4OIHgU1ewws6Zhfz27QGhu4kuP00EDOslTSdHeEghTViOuXURA7cXpge2AnJNWrW8aoc7BX3W8ELUR8Ktn2qo5QUcaREGMEf8AtWiDpCCr_kqIZ1KcNFrGuvCmhajSUhz9v02QN6n1PMRilfGdSw9b4CChXUhADQS08RXWYcudKgjH2aF-IkjlvzeFNnIxiLksyChlLF94h9wuJLz8G5xN8-Oz4h6DxTQ0P9LJ2gmydhea9N7CV7EBYJYyZVcPYY9XssviG0TAEH85zzAnwE3R6LSlm2sJOmiLVNnChmz_SSDN1PXfoWr1u3-m1i89dBYNq_Ex75IcS-UnVHwbI_SAsEZEcx9UgDVvjBJ2xlpzGDOhsRR8YX5vG6bKlaeaBra6Uh6xhfeldXQ2PpYfgfoPXBXJ6pRS04VZadCdYKK6PTBWwAzq5kY9ugQen5BU-GV0XbbhyFCXLEv_3AzO395JMRPiQIMvrSGqGTFjgOW6fEEQVlvtoYeskls5JDlFAr9vwzt6aq05LbFZL0-Pya0NEqTuOFTDTNGpsC6OYkMQfmNRU3Dr8_WMCuXvBN_yWgnMthSKliR9Y_VYvN_P9qip1mR56TmaTOyGtpP7yJ5NRkjPw2F0=w651-h867-no
I actually have that bracelet also, the Speedmaster Racing bracelet, but I got tired of it. Right now, it's just sitting in my closet.

I hope Omega comes out with more editions of the FOIS in different color combinations.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, I disagree with the posts above. I like the FOIS on brown leather. Looks good on the bracelets too, though.
The brown strap matches well and looks nice in pictures but just looked awkward to me on my wrist. It's probably due to what tigerpac said due to the tapering compared to the heft of the case.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The brown strap matches well and looks nice in pictures but just looked awkward to me on my wrist. It's probably due to what tigerpac said due to the tapering compared to the heft of the case.

I think Omega's strap deployant is pretty lousy, at least for my wrist. That's a big part of the issue I have with their OEM leather straps. I have the blue croc for my AT, but it is uncomfortable and I only wear this on a shell cordovan after market strap now.

040820.jpg

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever had a watch-related dream? Last night, I dreamt I won a drawing for a watch at a store. I went to the counter to pick up my prize and the salesman took out an Audemars Piguet box, which was a half globe with a clear top. I got really excited. Then the salesman took out the watch, which was a gold rectangular monstrosity with a curved crystal. (It looked nothing like anything AP produces, so that should have been my clue that I was in a dream.) The watch was way too big for my wrist, so the salesman told me I could choose from a few alternatives. He brought out a ladies watch and two old-school Casio digital watches. I reluctantly picked one of the Casios, and the head of the watch subsequently broke off from the band. Then I woke up.

I suppose the dream was better than the alternative of winning a very desirable watch then waking up. :lol:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads