• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
According to Federico, those bracelets are very jangly. Although maybe he was talking about four-digit Rolexes . . .

Maybe he was speaking about bracelets from the 1970's or older, especially if they were using the folded steel rivet links. However, if if I had a Rolex or Tudor on a really old bracelet that was in bad condition, I'd take it off that bracelet and just buy a newer replacement bracelet.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this made the rounds a while back, but after whining about Rolex the other day, I have to say, I'm kind of smitten by this one:

View attachment 1432920

Always loved the old rootbeer GMT's. But this new on is pretty! I like the ever rose two-tone.

I wasn't a fan of the old rootbeers GMTs, but this new one is the first gold and steel watches that I've really liked in a long time.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's referring to 5 digit bracelets. They're hollow center links compared to the current day bracelet which is why he doesn't like the older bracelets.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought the current GMT bracelet policy was oyster for precious metals and jubilee for steal? I actually really like the jubilee bracelet on the GMT SS as a way to draw further distinction from the Submariners and to also deal with the notion that the "tool" function of a GMT is not inherently rugged and casual, but hovering a bit more often between dressy and casual (which is how I think of the jubilee)...anyway, I'm planning on a GMT with a jubilee...

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He's referring to 5 digit bracelets. They're hollow center links compared to the current day bracelet which is why he doesn't like the older bracelets.

Thanks for letting me know which digit watches he was referring to. Yes, I know the difference in the center links and clasps.

Towards the end of production of 5 digit Rolex watches people on watch forums regularly complained about the hollow center link bracelets because they felt for that kind of money it should have solid links and a machined clasp, as several competitors already provided them. The complaints had nothing to do with comfort or durability.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand that the bracelets on five-digit Rolexes are . . . not good. Those watches may warrant a NATO for everyday use.
Well, one has no choice in that circumstance. However, most of us just have lowly standard production models :wink: , which come with bracelets.

Sorry, but that's completely inaccurate. While modern bracelets have an even sturdier construction in the form of solid center links and machined clasps, the bracelets on 5 digit Rolex watches are more than able to withstand just about any punishment they are subjected to. If can't and they broke, most likely you've sustained a fractured wrist or hand. I've worn them for years for all sorts of punishing activities and the bracelets and clasps never broke or bent. In addition, I find the old bracelets just as comfortable as the new ones.
According to Federico, those bracelets are very jangly. Although maybe he was talking about four-digit Rolexes . . .
Thanks for letting me know which digit watches he was referring to. Yes, I know the difference in the center links and clasps.

Towards the end of production of 5 digit Rolex watches people on watch forums regularly complained about the hollow center link bracelets because they felt for that kind of money it should have solid links and a machined clasp, as several competitors already provided them. The complaints had nothing to do with comfort or durability.

This conversation is fascinating.

My experience with watches is relatively limited. I purchased a tegmented Sinn prior to deploying overseas a few years ago, since I wanted something that could latke a beating. That watch (still in my collection) is fine, and the tegmented SS bracelet is comfortable, and did BTW survive a year in Iraq. While in Iraq I bought an Omega Seamaster Planet ocean with SS bracelet. This watch is more comfortable to me, than the Sinn, something about the bracelet just feels good. I do put it on an Omega rubber strap in the summer, but still love the bracelet.

Recently I bought my grail, Rolex 14060, and my first thought upon purchase, and a few wears is how cheap the bracelet feels, and how relatively uncomfortable (compared to the PO and the Sinn) the bracelet is. Don’t get me wrong, I love my sub, but I do not love the bracelet. Note I am not speaking about durability, just comfort and overall feeling.

Re: NATO straps, I like wearing my SD on a Perlon strap. They are quite slim since they don‘t have that extra fold of webbing.

PSA: when shopping for a Perlon strap, be sure to go for one from Eulit. There are a lot of cheap ones and they are terrible.
+1 to this (and I haven't used Natos for a long time, for the reasons mentioned above).

I've been wearing my Sub 14060 on an Eulit perlon since a vacation in February:

I used to wear a Seiko diver on a NATO and like the look and feel. I will be looking for a Eulit perlon for my 14060. This looks great!

On this topic, (newb question here) some NATO straps rea just a single piece of nylon (which I prefer) while others have two pieces, with the watch going through the upper piece, is there some sort of nomenclature to search for the single piece straps?

Edit to add:
Another honeymoon shot of the 58 (sorry...and the green color is from the umbrella I'm under...)

But my question is about nato straps: Do you guys put your divers on natos, or does it feel like a waste of the bracelet? This nato is soooo much more comfortable than a bracelet (which ain't bad either, mind you), but I always feel guilty for not wearing the bracelet. Do you guys swap out your bracelet(s) for natos regularly? (I have the same issue with leather straps on my speedys...do you guys find leather straps better in the winter, for example...?).

Details on this strap?

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On this topic, (newb question here) some NATO straps rea just a single piece of nylon (which I prefer) while others have two pieces, with the watch going through the upper piece, is there some sort of nomenclature to search for the single piece straps?

Re: the above, the single piece strap is a ZULU, while the double piece is a NATO. I prefer ZULU straps myself.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My experience with watches is relatively limited. I purchased a tegmented Sinn prior to deploying overseas a few years ago, since I wanted something that could latke a beating. That watch (still in my collection) is fine, and the tegmented SS bracelet is comfortable, and did BTW survive a year in Iraq. While in Iraq I bought an Omega Seamaster Planet ocean with SS bracelet. This watch is more comfortable to me, than the Sinn, something about the bracelet just feels good. I do put it on an Omega rubber strap in the summer, but still love the bracelet.

Recently I bought my grail, Rolex 14060, and my first thought upon purchase, and a few wears is how cheap the bracelet feels, and how relatively uncomfortable (compared to the PO and the Sinn) the bracelet is. Don’t get me wrong, I love my sub, but I do not love the bracelet. Note I am not speaking about durability, just comfort and overall feeling.

I used to wear a Seiko diver on a NATO and like the look and feel. I will be looking for a Eulit perlon for my 14060. This looks great!

Edit to add:

Details on this strap?

I have both the traditional NATO and the single-piece version (I don't know of a technical term for them...just peruse all the options by the maker until you find one...that's what I did...). I definitely prefer the single-piece version. It's super comfortable and easy to use/fit becasue it doesn't have the redundancy loop, nor the dramatic excess flip back. I know many folks alter their trad NATOs by cutting the under portion off.

Single-piece version: https://www.watchgecko.com/nato-vintage-bond-us-type-watch-strap-black-bronze-satin-polish

Normal version: https://www.watchgecko.com/vintage-bond-swiss-style-premium-nato-watch-strap-by-geckota

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: the above, the single piece strap is a ZULU, while the double piece is a NATO. I prefer ZULU straps myself.
I have both the traditional NATO and the single-piece version (I don't know of a technical term for them...just peruse all the options by the maker until you find one...that's what I did...). I definitely prefer the single-piece version. It's super comfortable and easy to use/fit becasue it doesn't have the redundancy loop, nor the dramatic excess flip back. I know many folks alter their trad NATOs by cutting the under portion off.

Single-piece version: https://www.watchgecko.com/nato-vintage-bond-us-type-watch-strap-black-bronze-satin-polish

Normal version: https://www.watchgecko.com/vintage-bond-swiss-style-premium-nato-watch-strap-by-geckota

Always learning, thanks gents!

@mak1277 now that I know what to call, I also prefer ZULU to NATO

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you for your service and congrats on your Rolex Submariner! Yes, the bracelet was probably one of the least expensive elements of the old steel 5 digit Rolex watches. Its important to remember that this bracelet design on them has been around for at least 40+ years...which was when these watches were roughly $1,000 (and that's before a discount...which was commonly 25% on steel ones in the early 80s). I doubt any changes/improvements were made to the bracelets other than eventually adding solid end links. So yes, I can see them seeming cheap today compared to modern bracelets from other brands, which have solid center links and machined clasps. I'm actually wearing a 19 year old 16570 Explorer II today, on an oyster bracelet with hollow center links, a stamped steel clasp, and solid end links. I've never had any comfort issues with mine. However, it can depend on the bone structure of one's wrist or how hairy one's wrist is. Many years ago an acquaintance with very hairy arms had a 1990s TAG Heuer SEL, and said he couldn't wear a Rolex, or Omega or several other brands because they pulled the hair on his wrist and were very uncomfortable.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your service and congrats on your Rolex Submariner! Yes, the bracelet was probably one of the least expensive elements of the old steel 5 digit Rolex watches. Its important to remember that this bracelet design on them has been around for at least 40+ years...which was when these watches were roughly $1,000 (and that's before a discount...which was commonly 25% on steel ones in the early 80s). I doubt any changes/improvements were made to the bracelets other than eventually adding solid end links. So yes, I can see them seeming cheap today compared to modern bracelets from other brands, which have solid center links and machined clasps. I'm actually wearing a 19 year old 16570 Explorer II today, on an oyster bracelet with hollow center links, a stamped steel clasp, and solid end links. I've never had any comfort issues with mine. However, it can depend on the bone structure of one's wrist or how hairy one's wrist is. Many years ago an acquaintance with very hairy arms had a 1990s TAG Heuer SEL, and said he couldn't wear a Rolex, or Omega or several other brands because they pulled the hair on his wrist and were very uncomfortable.

It was my honor, but thank you.

I understand about the design evolution, and it’s OK, I love the watch, don’t love the bracelet, and I am glad I don’t have super hairy forearms!

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Always learning, thanks gents!

@mak1277 now that I know what to call, I also prefer ZULU to NATO

Also check out the chevron straps from Crown & Buckle. Basically a single loop Nato that adjusts to fit your wrist without all the excess strap length on a Nato. I've started using them for multiple watches.
Shogun 2.jpg
Shogun 3.jpg

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I seriously doubt he's even active enough to have an informed opinion on that.

Older Rolex bracelets are great to wear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads