• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Where I am we don't take deposits at all on Rolex. Ask for it. When it comes in you have a week to pay or it's sold to someone else.

The 37mm YM is not as sought after as we insecure men like big watches to compensate for our small personas. So, yes, you could flip it, but it's not a money maker.

I like it well enough but for a "one watch" I fear it gives you all the negative recognition of a Rolex, without the cred of being one of the brand's design classics.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tried these on yesterday. The Pierre Arpels watch is super underrated. Really thin and nice on the wrist. and the dual time is amazing as well. Too bad they didn’t have the dual time Pierre Arpels in stock.

View attachment 1417889

Yes, very underrated, but their designs just don't seem to appeal to many people I know. I like the dual time, but I have to agree with another poster, it doesn't need all that text on the dial.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm kinda of a born-again lite weight watch fan and looking for some feedback and opinions. (Last bought some Omegas, Blancpain, and U/N 15-20 years ago.)

In celebration and commemoration of our 10th anniversary, my wife and I are purchasing a pair of Rolex watches.

She selected a 31 mm Datejust jubilee bracelet with white gold with mother of pearl and diamond dial. (I thought the mother of pearl being $2500 more than sunburst dial was too much but did make the dial 'pop' more. Wife loves it so ...) The AD want asked for full payment to do the order. Is full payment necessary to make an order?

I just picked up a 37mm Yatchmaster SS/platinum bezel with rhodium dial. It would be my one watch collection (besides a beater). I like the fit and slimness of 37mm Yatchmaster. Is it a commonly sought after model or hard to find? What are the positives and negatives?

Thanks.

View attachment 1417994

If you already purchased it, just enjoy it. It shouldn't matter if it is particularly sought after. It is to commemorate your anniversary, so I doubt you will plan to sell something that marks your anniversary? I like the dial. Congrats and happy anniversary!

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm kinda of a born-again lite weight watch fan and looking for some feedback and opinions. (Last bought some Omegas, Blancpain, and U/N 15-20 years ago.)

In celebration and commemoration of our 10th anniversary, my wife and I are purchasing a pair of Rolex watches.

She selected a 31 mm Datejust jubilee bracelet with white gold with mother of pearl and diamond dial. (I thought the mother of pearl being $2500 more than sunburst dial was too much but did make the dial 'pop' more. Wife loves it so ...) The AD want asked for full payment to do the order. Is full payment necessary to make an order?

I just picked up a 37mm Yatchmaster SS/platinum bezel with rhodium dial. It would be my one watch collection (besides a beater). I like the fit and slimness of 37mm Yatchmaster. Is it a commonly sought after model or hard to find? What are the positives and negatives?

Thanks.

View attachment 1417994
View attachment 1417995

I dig Yachtmasters. As mentioned above, the 37mm variety is less in demand than the larger version, but that shouldn't stop you from getting it. I'm on the border of which size looks better on my wrist when I try them on.

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, very underrated, but their designs just don't seem to appeal to many people I know. I like the dual time, but I have to agree with another poster, it doesn't need all that text on the dial.

No disagreement about the apparent detraction for the Pierre Arpels case. It clearly doesn't resonate with the average collector.

As for the dual time, I think it was very smartly done. Naturally, home time should be at the top instead of the bottom. 12-6 orientation of the hour windows is not whimsical, hence the askance axis. Local time should be at the "top of the hour" aka when the minute hand approaches the 12 o'clock position as is typical. And the argument that a dual time needs a date and/or day night is silly (not that this is your argument but I have read that as an argument to replace the text). So given these observations, I personally think the text adds a whimsical aspect to the watch and balances the dial. Just my personal opinion of a watch that I think is a far better value proposition than anything offered by the "holey trinity" or whatever people say these days. This argument also excludes the custom movement in the dual time.

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback.

I did buy it and will enjoy it since I do like the fit and overall design.

I was initially interested in the plain OP 39mm but this AD did not have that and trying on the Sub 40mm seems too big for my wrist. I had asked if 'highly sought after' because the sales manager said it just came in 2 weeks ago and he was surprised it hasn't be already gone. I only half believe the 'surprise availability' but was sure if it would be there if I came back two weeks later.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
You're right about that. Any Rolex sports watch sells fast. Most don't ever make the display case - Subs, etc. - but those that do sure don't sit. If it worked for you, you were right to grab it while it was sitting there.

I dislike the games Rolex play with availability (and Patek, AP, and the endless "limited" editions from a dozen others, but Rolex are the kings of this nonsense). It's a bit like the oil market. There is a lot of oil, but reduce the supply by 1% for 1 month and you get a spike. Let's be clear: there is no such thing as a rare or exclusive modern Rolex. They make a lot of them. A lot of Daytonas. A lot of blue Sky Dwellers. Just a few fewer than they could easily sell. It's a ****** way to treat customers, but of course a great way to maintain luxury status.

So from your practical consumer's point of view, you got one while it was on display, one of the few models that isn't usually pre-sold to someone waiting for it. And it's still money in the bank. If you're really lucky they will discontinue it soon, and make it "rare" and "collectable". Then it will have an extra perceived value beyond the obvious! The bezel finish is cool, the dial is great and I really like the little flash of light blue. Enjoy and be happy!

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yachtmaster fan here.
When I was a small kid I used to cut out the photos of watches from the Brian Mills catalogue and wrap them around my wrist. I always favoured steel divers with black faces. Always thought I’d end up with a sub as they were regularly advertised in the Sunday Times Magazine when I was older.
Right up to the nineties when - clueless as I was about watches - I was at a mate’s party and his neighbour had the platinum YM on. I just thought it was a cooler version of the ubiquitous black face diver setup. I have a sub now as my daily beater but have a 40mm platinum YM for more formal occasions. They recently stopped making them but I couldn’t care less if that’s because nobody liked them or if that makes them more desirable or valuable. I love the watch and doubt I’d ever part with it.
Some people are ‘flippers’ - either they change their mind frequently and/or they’re always on the hunt for a profit so they’re constantly concerned with price, desirability, investment potential etc. Other people take a liking to a certain watch and mull it over then when they decide to pull the trigger they’re happy - for them (us!) we’re not so concerned with what others think, or whether the watch’s market price will improve over time. My wife is an Apple Watch wearer so I just hope my four year old develops an interest in man-sized watches when she grows up, otherwise a few of my mates who outlive me are gonna have a nice surprise one day - hopefully not for several decades yet!)

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're right about that. Any Rolex sports watch sells fast. Most don't ever make the display case - Subs, etc. - but those that do sure don't sit. If it worked for you, you were right to grab it while it was sitting there.

I dislike the games Rolex play with availability (and Patek, AP, and the endless "limited" editions from a dozen others, but Rolex are the kings of this nonsense). It's a bit like the oil market. There is a lot of oil, but reduce the supply by 1% for 1 month and you get a spike. Let's be clear: there is no such thing as a rare or exclusive modern Rolex. They make a lot of them. A lot of Daytonas. A lot of blue Sky Dwellers. Just a few fewer than they could easily sell. It's a ****** way to treat customers, but of course a great way to maintain luxury status.

So from your practical consumer's point of view, you got one while it was on display, one of the few models that isn't usually pre-sold to someone waiting for it. And it's still money in the bank. If you're really lucky they will discontinue it soon, and make it "rare" and "collectable". Then it will have an extra perceived value beyond the obvious! The bezel finish is cool, the dial is great and I really like the little flash of light blue. Enjoy and be happy!
Good post Mimo! Agreed on all points.
Several weeks ago when the lockdowns were starting (that may have been before your momentous return to the fold!) there was a lot of speculation as to whether this would make Rolexes etc harder to come by, or if enforced frugality might help those of us on waiting lists to shoot up a few places. I wonder what your perspective as a dealer is - anything to add?
(I keep meaning to go to the shop at which I’m on the list to check my status, but it’s a 30 minute drive so I’m waiting for enough excuses to pile up for me to visit that area and make the trip worthwhile!)

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was hoping that the Coronavirus would make the Rolex Daytona readily available at retail price. Looks like that was a pipe dream.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
probably the one sport rolex that i'd consider is the smaller yacht master

Ranjeev

Reaction score
Very different watches but I'm looking to pull the trigger on a Daytona or A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Annual Calendar at some point this year. Most likely closer to the end of the year. I had thought that there would a decrease in prices because of the pandemic but looks like I was wrong for these two watches at least.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
TWD, I did hear someone found a standard Sub in stock the other day at Goldsmiths, but certainly where I am, the requests for "sought after" pieces are unabated. Where you might find a bit of movement is on the more normal sports watches, e.g. I'm on my first day back today and I'm able to hook a good customer up straight away with the Explorer he wanted. They don't normally sit here waiting (and of course they are not on display still..)
If you're planning to visit the Old Country or have a friend here, let me know what it wslas you were after. If I can, I will.

CollingsD2H

Reaction score
In search of an everyday watch, I ended up getting a Hamilton Khaki Field Titanium. Thanks again to everyone who chimed in on Sinn 356 and Nomos Ahoi. Please let me know if this watch belongs in the other watch thread....
20200709_174751.jpg

Follow up question: For my manual (1863 movement), is it better to let it run out of power when I don't wear it or should I manually wind it everyday? Sorry for the dumb question. The watch in question is an Omega Speedmaster Pro.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads