• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nomos doesnt get much love here but I like them. They're all very clean, modern (mostly), and minimalist though to a degree, so it works better in some wardrobes than others. I like the Ahoi having seen it in person but don't own one.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for my next watch. Anyone have experience with Nomos Ahoi or other models? My first real watch was Omega Speedmaster Pro Moonwatch.

I like the look and design of Nomos watches but someone here commented on a lack of overall durability.

Depending on budget, perhaps a JLC Reverso or a Cartier Tank. You already have a sports chrono. Why not mix it up with a different design and aesthetic?

just my two cents.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You really have to try a Nomos on to see if it works for you. I think their is a lot of respect for the brand here, and they certainly provides great value relative to their workmanship.

I like their dials and the movements are great, but in person it just is not for me. I really disliked the lugs, the ultra thin bezel (if one can say they have a bezel, rather than just a top surface to a case), and the way it sat on my wrist. It simply isn't a watch for me. However, other people love them. Wishing you luck searching for your next watch.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for my next watch. Anyone have experience with Nomos Ahoi or other models? My first real watch was Omega Speedmaster Pro Moonwatch.

Strongly recommend trying the Nomos on before you buy. I was absolutely sure I was going to buy a Nomos Club until I tried it on. It just felt very boring to me. Nothing interesting about the dial. I had similar feelings about the Ahoi. Well made, just boring to me.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Strongly recommend trying the Nomos on before you buy. I was absolutely sure I was going to buy a Nomos Club until I tried it on. It just felt very boring to me. Nothing interesting about the dial. I had similar feelings about the Ahoi. Well made, just boring to me.

In defense of Nomos, in the Bauhaus tradition, it’s supposed to be boring and plain.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In defense of Nomos, in the Bauhaus tradition, it’s supposed to be boring and plain.

You can make a sterile dial that is still visually interesting though. The Nomos had no depth or three dimensionality. And there wasn’t enough contrast between the dial color and the painted numbers.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the Nomos commentary band-wagon, don’t mind them, great value but of an aesthetic i don’t care for in watch design. Yet, enthusiastic Bauhaus follower.
Though in art I always have preferred the futurist and blue rider schools.

CollingsD2H

Reaction score
Thank you all for chiming in. If durability, is a question mark then I am out. This isn't the first time someone has brought up the durability issue so it probably is true to some degree.

true.to.size

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I have a Nomos metro for about 5 years and it has been my most worn watch during that time (that said, my collection is much smaller and modest than many posters' in this thread).

I really love it and don't find the dial boring at all. I like the thin bezel and especially the wire lugs. In terms of durability, I dropped it once and slightly bent one of the lugs so it was a pain to change the strap. Sent it to Nomos and they fixed it and haven't had any other issues (and have been much more careful when taking it off over hard floors :/). Would this have happened with a watch with chunkier lugs? Probably not. But again I really like the thin wire lugs so it is worth the risk for me. If it's not your taste, though, it's not your taste.

pmeis

Reaction score
Thank you all for chiming in. If durability, is a question mark then I am out. This isn't the first time someone has brought up the durability issue so it probably is true to some degree.

I've owned a bunch of them, the only one that saw service was a circa 2002 Tangente that I bought off ebay in 2012 that I ended up getting serviced around 2014 after it started losing its power reserve. I also don't see a whole lot of negative comments on durability on the forums or from fellow owners I've met in real life, so I'm not sure where that comes from. The one complaint I do see somewhat often are complaints about them being easily magnetized. I have not come across that personally, but that is an easy fix with a cheap demagnetizor if for some reason you found yourself in that situation.

Speaking of the Ahoi, I've worn one as my main watch for the last two years and it is my favorite watch I've owned since I got into this hobby. That includes a few different Rolexes, Panerais, Glashutte Originals among others. I ended up selling the watches that I had that were considerably more expensive because I found myself wearing the Ahoi so much...it just made it hard for me to justify holding on to things like my Hulk. I've since decided to build my small collection around my Ahoi (pic below, yes its a bit one dimensional in some ways...but it's always best to buy what you like ;) ).

I would definitely suggest trying one on. The 40mm one is maybe a touch bigger than I would like on my just over 7" wrist. The 36mm version wears more like a standard 38mm watch, so don't dismiss it as being too small offhand. The second hand value on these are pretty good, you might be able to score one for just over $2k, so if you have some doubt about them or don't have the opportunity to try one on in person, preowned is a great way to go.

My Ahoi is also a limited run version done for Bucherer about 3 years ago that I surprisingly ran across while in Copenhagen for work. It's a unique blue (though not an offical Bucherer Blue edition) that I absolutely adore. It was also my third of four trips to Copenhagen that Spring, so its a keepsake of my time there that year as well as my all the other trips I've made to Denmark in the 8.5 years I've work for my company.

CollingsD2H

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback and the pictures @pmeis . The Nomos Ahoi Atlantik ist out of stock in the US while there seems to be plenty in Germany. Sucks because it's about a $3,300 watch but I can't try it on before I buy it. Chrono24 has a policy that protects the buyer and the AD gets paid only if the buyer is satisfied. Been looking at watchshopping and not a single one in stock.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll echo recent comments that I've never heard the durability criticism before for Nomos. I've had an Orion 38 Date since 2016 and a Club Automatik since 2017. No issues and absolutely love them.

I'll also echo the recommendation to try on before you buy. They wear larger than the size might suggest.

pmeis

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback and the pictures @pmeis . The Nomos Ahoi Atlantik ist out of stock in the US while there seems to be plenty in Germany. Sucks because it's about a $3,300 watch but I can't try it on before I buy it. Chrono24 has a policy that protects the buyer and the AD gets paid only if the buyer is satisfied. Been looking at watchshopping and not a single one in stock.

Crazy to hear that there aren't any around, but it does jive with a discussion I had with my AD the day my Grand Seiko arrived. Since I live out of state, I asked him to size the GS bracelet before shipping. My first suggestion was to tell him what hole my Ahoi is on when I wear it on the OEM strap and then size the bracelet against that since he's also a Nomos dealer. He thought that was a good idea, but mentioned that he hadn't had an Ahoi in stock for a couple of months, which surprised me as I almost always see a couple in stock when I visit Nomos ADs.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know Seiko's are not that popular on this thread, but I'll throw out that the re-issue of Seiko's original dive watch (the 62Mas) really looks awesome for any fans of the 62Mas. Ordered one and can't wait to see it in person.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've owned a bunch of them, the only one that saw service was a circa 2002 Tangente that I bought off ebay in 2012 that I ended up getting serviced around 2014 after it started losing its power reserve. I also don't see a whole lot of negative comments on durability on the forums or from fellow owners I've met in real life, so I'm not sure where that comes from. The one complaint I do see somewhat often are complaints about them being easily magnetized. I have not come across that personally, but that is an easy fix with a cheap demagnetizor if for some reason you found yourself in that situation.

Speaking of the Ahoi, I've worn one as my main watch for the last two years and it is my favorite watch I've owned since I got into this hobby. That includes a few different Rolexes, Panerais, Glashutte Originals among others. I ended up selling the watches that I had that were considerably more expensive because I found myself wearing the Ahoi so much...it just made it hard for me to justify holding on to things like my Hulk. I've since decided to build my small collection around my Ahoi (pic below, yes its a bit one dimensional in some ways...but it's always best to buy what you like ;) ).

I would definitely suggest trying one on. The 40mm one is maybe a touch bigger than I would like on my just over 7" wrist. The 36mm version wears more like a standard 38mm watch, so don't dismiss it as being too small offhand. The second hand value on these are pretty good, you might be able to score one for just over $2k, so if you have some doubt about them or don't have the opportunity to try one on in person, preowned is a great way to go.

My Ahoi is also a limited run version done for Bucherer about 3 years ago that I surprisingly ran across while in Copenhagen for work. It's a unique blue (though not an offical Bucherer Blue edition) that I absolutely adore. It was also my third of four trips to Copenhagen that Spring, so its a keepsake of my time there that year as well as my all the other trips I've made to Denmark in the 8.5 years I've work for my company.

That Omega is the star here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads