• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the olive green on the 40th anniversary Day-Date is my all-time fave ?
Indeed. Just wish it was yellow instead of pink gold (not that I have a problem with pink)

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is my Omega with fauxtina from today

View attachment 1367878
I loved this watch when it debuted. If Omega had done a different treatment to the lume I would have been in, even had a deposit placed during Basel release. I love the size, the fit and the aluminum insert, it was so, so close to perfection but the lume was too uniform and too brown to my eyes to look believable but an amazing watch nevertheless and fully diveable!

I'm holding out hope for a re-release of this Seamaster with *hopefully* a custard color fauxpatina and slightly less grey dial than the anniversary trilogy. Give me that with the same dimensions, aluminum insert and plexi and I am in. They could even do fixed lugs since so many people seem to want military watches these days...
Montre-Omega-Seamaster-300-Calibre-550-Ref-165-024.jpg

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've worn this one all week, much more comfortable on the strap than with the original heavy bracelet. Not your typical Panerai but I like it.

kTeKH6O.jpg

Great looking watch

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's definitely a buyer's market right now. I've been tracking the price of the ceramic Daytona and it's fallen below $20K pre-owned for the black dial. Will be interesting to see how prices go in the next few months. I'm guessing they fall. No need to pull the trigger now unless you're hunting a particular vintage watch or a rare modern one.

Last edited:

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just checked my email correspondence with Watchbox from a few months ago in December. I was quoted pretty much half of current prices for a resonance or optimum. I can't bring myself to pay 2x what they were in Dec.

I've read Watchbox bought up all the used fpjs and is trying to push the value of them up but for that money you can get a Lange TB or a really crazy Patek. I used to like the idea of an FPJ because they are really unique and you got a lot of watch for the money. :/

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just checked my email correspondence with Watchbox from a few months ago in December. I was quoted pretty much half of current prices for a resonance or optimum. I can't bring myself to pay 2x what they were in Dec.

I've read Watchbox bought up all the used fpjs and is trying to push the value of them up but for that money you can get a Lange TB or a really crazy Patek. I used to like the idea of an FPJ because they are really unique and you got a lot of watch for the money. :/
Of course this strategy could go sideways on them under current conditions.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yup, the resonance was half the optimum about 30% less. In fact, until a slight reduction a few days ago, optimum was rrp.
Damned it I’m paying those prices, either.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick Q for the group: For gray market purchases, rolex in particular, is it standard for the warranty card to be filled out for watches that were originally purchased directly from AD with the intent to immediately list in gray market? Or is it possible to buy gray market and still get your name on the paperwork?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quick Q for the group: For gray market purchases, rolex in particular, is it standard for the warranty card to be filled out for watches that were originally purchased directly from AD with the intent to immediately list in gray market? Or is it possible to buy gray market and still get your name on the paperwork?
I read on Rolexforums that Rolex is moving away from names on warranty cards. If that is the case, this is a moot issue.

montecristo#2

Reaction score
Of course this strategy could go sideways on them under current conditions.

It will. Only a matter of time -- if that's in fact what they did.

Luckily I'm not a huge fan of complicated watches. Octa lune prices don't seem like they're up that much. That seems to be the sweet spot for value (if there is such a thing) in the FPJ market right now. That watch is about as complicated as I would ever go for, though. I'm more attracted to the thinness of the Souverain. Waiting until the inevitable and prices come down before I move.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Warning: controversial musings.

The Oysterquartz was the last real Rolex

Why? It was the company's last--and quite successful--attempt at making the highest possible quality, most functional timekeeping device. This approach was their USP until they became a maker of status symbols. Once they stopped developing their quartz movements (several excellent prototypes were made that surpassed the standard 5035/5055 but never made it into production) Rolex effectively became a jewellery company, not a watchmaker.

Change my mind, as they say.

(Full disclosure: I'm eyeing an Oysterquartz from my birthyear on C24. I'm very open to be talked out of this.)

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Warning: controversial musings.

The Oysterquartz was the last real Rolex

Why? It was the company's last--and quite successful--attempt at making the highest possible quality, most functional timekeeping device. This approach was their USP until they became a maker of status symbols. Once they stopped developing their quartz movements (several excellent prototypes were made that surpassed the standard 5035/5055 but never made it into production) Rolex effectively became a jewellery company, not a watchmaker.

Change my mind, as they say.

(Full disclosure: I'm eyeing an Oysterquartz from my birthyear on C24. I'm very open to be talked out of this.)

I wouldn't try to talk you out of an oysterquartz. I think they're super cool.

Beyond that, isn't your post a line-for-line rehash of a discussion on this thread from 50 or 100 pages ago?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 27 17.6%

Forum statistics

Threads