• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now the unwashed masses will get their grubby paws on Submariners, and the True Collectors™ will resort to pearl clutching.

rodgers12

Reaction score
My understanding, Dufour is working exclusively on private commissions.

Ordered Akrivia through the Hour Glass, Melbourne.
Interesting - makes sense especially since that unique Simplicity w/ the Arabic dial popped up the other week

If only I could get a piece commissioned by Dufour

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now the unwashed masses will get their grubby paws on Submariners, and the True Collectors™ will resort to pearl clutching.
The way some owners of the desirable SS Rolex models on Rolex Forums put it, everyone who wants to see the Rolex bubble pop and prices return to MSRP is either a heartless vulture who is rooting for economic collapse or a tire kicking cheapskate who won't even buy at MSRP.

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The way some owners of the desirable SS Rolex models on Rolex Forums put it, everyone who wants to see the Rolex bubble pop and prices return to MSRP is either a heartless vulture who is rooting for economic collapse or a tire kicking cheapskate who won't even buy at MSRP.
I feel like TRF has a very different feel than any other watch forum online... probably why I've never taken to it. I like most of the other forums but TRF always seems off-putting to me

Last edited:

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like TRF has a very different feel than any other watch forum online... probably why I've never taken to it. I like most of the other forums but TRF always seems off-putting to me
I'm a member of TRF but haven't posted. Hazing of newbies and trolling in threads occurs everywhere, but it seems to be worse there. A lot of posters take themselves and whatever they're posting so seriously. In the end, they're just watches.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a member of TRF but haven't posted. Hazing of newbies and trolling in threads occurs everywhere, but it seems to be worse there. A lot of posters take themselves and whatever they're posting so seriously. In the end, they're just watches.
The mods over there are really serious. You can't discuss politics, religion, guns/weapons, or say **** without getting a warning. They're also quick to ban people.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have to imagine that Rolex will slow delivery of SS models to dealers in anticipation or slower traffic. Too bad as many of us on the list would or are still buyers.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rolex, Tudor, PP postponing new model announcements for 2020.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One thing to consider when discussing grey dealers "dropping prices" is that in some cases they're just new inventory they bought at lower prices. I'm already seeing that. However that's not the same as dropping prices on existing inventory, which depending on who you follow is happening but not by a lot just yet.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One thing to consider when discussing grey dealers "dropping prices" is that in some cases they're just new inventory they bought at lower prices. I'm already seeing that. However that's not the same as dropping prices on existing inventory, which depending on who you follow is happening but not by a lot just yet.

I pretty much just watch Chrono24 for Sub Date, DJ, and GMT and filtered by lowest price, new 2019 and in North America

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have to imagine that Rolex will slow delivery of SS models to dealers in anticipation or slower traffic. Too bad as many of us on the list would or are still buyers.
I'm not sure Rolex can limit supply without devastating their ADs. Most ADs are in high-rent neighborhoods and have to pay their landlord and (presumably) their employees as well while closed. They're going to have to hit the ground running when they reopen with best-selling models.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure Rolex can limit supply without devastating their ADs. Most ADs are in high-rent neighborhoods and have to pay their landlord and (presumably) their employees as well while closed. They're going to have to hit the ground running when they reopen with best-selling models.
You're presuming that Rolex actually gives a **** about their AD's. Rolex doesn't give a **** about anyone but Rolex.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agreed on ADs hurting, just don't know how Rolex values keeping all of them around relative to maintaining faux scarcity of their popular models. Obviously lots of ways to go about this for them, guess only time will tell how they approach it. I guess I would just ask, what would hurt the Rolex brand and value more, losing let's say 40% of the ADs, or making SS models "easy" to get?

You're presuming that Rolex actually gives a **** about their AD's. Rolex doesn't give a **** about anyone but Rolex.

Pretty much my thoughts.

Edit: How did Rolex react post 2008?

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Edit: How did Rolex react post 2008?

Well between 2010 and roughly 2012 Rolex cancelled contracts with I believe well over 100 ADs in the US. Even ones that had relationships with the brand for several decades.

So who knows, maybe they will kill off more ADs and move toward opening more Rolex boutiques (and maybe do it without partnering with ADs).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads