• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting comment about the Pepsi bezels. I had a convo with @George Red about the colours as there seems to be some variance. He said the older ones were brighter. I agree they can come off looking a bit dull and subdued but part of that may be the lighting conditions of the pic. I’d prefer if they were brighter like a Batman blue and a really bright scarlet red.

My take is based on pictures and what I've read. As I understand it the bezels on the white gold reference I posted have lighter colors. I suppose lighter translates to brighter, but I prefer more of what I think is a true "red" red and a bit darker a blue. I'm thrilled with the colors on my steel BLRO and that's what I'd want on a white gold.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boy is this a tough exercise that probably shouldn't be. Almost better to be given a budget.
Okay, let's change the rules to set a $30K limit, which is realistic for three watches. Assume that you're buying a new watch at MSRP from an AD (no discount because you're a regular customer or because you're buying from a gray) or less if the watch is readily available at a discount.

For my dress watch, I'd go with the Lange Saxonia Thin 37 mm in white gold (MSRP $15,900). Perfect German austerity that's great with a suit, but would probably go with a t-shirt and jeans as well. For my casual watch, I'm buying the Rolex Daytona 116500 stainless steel white dial (MSRP $13,150 -- a man can dream). I'm generally not a Rolex guy, but I've become obsessed with this one as of late. I've got $50 left. For my sports watch I go to Amazon and see what Casio G-shock I can get for that amount.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m assuming you mean $30k in total for 3 watches. If those are the rules then

1. the new James Bond Seamaster on bracelet $9100 for sport
2. Urban Jurgensen Big 8 in SS for casual $14,400
3. Cartier Tank Américaine large in SS $5750 for dress

FibroblastsMakeLeather

Reaction score
Apologies, Newb question:

I was wondering about opinions on wearing a watch on the dominant wrist?

I am right handed and have always worn my watches on my left wrist, as per the norm. However, I damaged my left arm/wrist when I was a young and it is slightly deformed. Hence, I've always worn very small watches (34mm or smaller).

I just got a Sub 114060 (yes the one with big lugs) in January and have been wearing it on my left wrist. I've been trying it on my right wrist lately. It feels and looks much better on my right wrist. I am assuming that 'fit is king' even with watches, so I should just go with the right wrist?

I should have googled it first before asking. This is nice article that helped answer my questions:

Last edited:

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With a $30k cap I’d stick with the Sub and Reverso posted earlier and add a Cartier Santos (medium) for my sport watch.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apologies, Newb question:

I was wondering about opinions on wearing a watch on the dominant wrist?

I am right handed and have always worn my watches on my left wrist, as per the norm. However, I damaged my left arm/wrist when I was a young and it is slightly deformed. Hence, I've always worn very small watches (34mm or smaller).

I just got a Sub 114060 (yes the one with big lugs) in January and have been wearing it on my left wrist. I've been trying it on my right wrist lately. It feels and looks much better on my right wrist. I am assuming that 'fit is king' even with watches, so I should just go with the right wrist?

I should have googled it first before asking. This is nice article that helped answer my questions:
Yours are special circumstances but seeing a watch on the right hand wrist looks wrong to me. WRONG I say!
Even if I was a sinister leftie I’d still wear it on my left wrist. Seeing Robert Redford films is like walking with a small piece of gravel in my shoe, just irks me! Unless you wear one of those weird Sub watches or the like with the crowns on the left of the watch the idea is that you can wind the watch while it’s still on your wrist. Try doing that with your left hand if your watch is on your right wrist!!

FibroblastsMakeLeather

Reaction score
Yours are special circumstances but seeing a watch on the right hand wrist looks wrong to me. WRONG I say!
Even if I was a sinister leftie I’d still wear it on my left wrist. Seeing Robert Redford films is like walking with a small piece of gravel in my shoe, just irks me! Unless you wear one of those weird Sub watches or the like with the crowns on the left of the watch the idea is that you can wind the watch while it’s still on your wrist. Try doing that with your left hand if your watch is on your right wrist!!

Love your answer!

I looked up Robert Redford's images online and now I get it. The crown should be pointing to your hands and not your shoulder. I suppose this is one reason as to why it looks so wrong.

I'll have to keep switching and see if I can make it work on my left, otherwise people will think I'm left handed or just trying to make a 'statement'...

Thanks for the reply!

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, let's change the rules to set a $30K limit, which is realistic for three watches. Assume that you're buying a new watch at MSRP from an AD (no discount because you're a regular customer or because you're buying from a gray) or less if the watch is readily available at a discount.

For my dress watch, I'd go with the Lange Saxonia Thin 37 mm in white gold (MSRP $15,900). Perfect German austerity that's great with a suit, but would probably go with a t-shirt and jeans as well. For my casual watch, I'm buying the Rolex Daytona 116500 stainless steel white dial (MSRP $13,150 -- a man can dream). I'm generally not a Rolex guy, but I've become obsessed with this one as of late. I've got $50 left. For my sports watch I go to Amazon and see what Casio G-shock I can get for that amount.
$30K????? Hmmm
I‘d buy a system 51 and spend the rest on tissues so i could cry away my life.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another caveat here, I'd buy the other white goal Daytona on a bracelet, have an independent watchmaker try that bracelet on here (does it really not fit???) and then sell the other Daytona. I also think a nice dark grey Hermes strap would work with this one.

Yes, the Oyster bracelet from a white gold Daytona will NOT fit on a white gold Daytona that originally came on a leather or rubber strap. The centerpiece between the lugs of the non-bracelet models is a solid piece that it part of the case. It prevents anyone from buying that watch and later attempting to add a bracelet. Rolex has been doing things that way since the 1990s when they first introduced the 16518 yg and 16519 wg on straps.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hmmm 3 watches for $30K....
For dress the current large rose gold Cartier Tank Louis Cartier. MSRP is $12,400 but one should be able to get 15% off so it would cost $10,540.
For sport- Rolex steel Daytona black dial $13,150.00.
Which leaves me enough to get a large Cartier Santos with a 15% discount and I still have $487.50 to use for an extra strap for either the Tank LC or the Santos.

frasiercranes

Reaction score
Currently own -
Bucherer scubatec
Oris aquis
Nomos club
Omega constellation and railmaster ( one given by my grandad and one dad).
Tag aquaracer (given by mom but has been stolen)

Top watches that I would like to buy

H Moser and Cie endeavour tourbillion
Nomos Zurich
Bovet recital
Carl f bucherer manero tourbillion

Forgot to add Ressence type 1 and a grand Seiko snowflake.
Don't care about other watch brands.

Screenshot_20200405-093357.jpg
Screenshot_20200405-093249.jpg
Screenshot_20200405-093454.jpg
Screenshot_20200405-093554.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200405-093249.jpg
    Screenshot_20200405-093249.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 28

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Semi realistic:

Patek 3940p or 3940j
Lange datograph lumen
Rolex 16750

Last edited:

an draoi

Reaction score
You are wearing your dinner jacket. You have dinner reservations for 7.30 pm. You stop off at a bar for an aperitif. You don’t want to be late for dinner.

You’re at the party. You ordered a taxi. It will be arriving at 1.30.

It’s New Year’s Eve. Almost midnight, you want to be sure you have a full glass and come inside from the balcony to watch the balloon drop ... or step outside onto the balcony to see the fireworks.

You are a handsome prince. A mysterious lady arrives at your ball wearing glass slippers. She dances with you all night long but says she MUST leave before midnight.

You are a British secret agent. You’ve just set the charges to detonate the villain’s nefarious drug making operation and nipped into the adjacent nightclub to confirm with your contact and reacquaint yourself with the nubile belly dancer, but you need to check to make sure the timers are operational.

These menswear ‘rules’ - we can choose to take ‘em or leave ‘em as we please but the one about not wearing a watch with Black Tie is among the most nebulous for me. OK not a Panerai hockey puck but something understated, slim and elegant like a tank, nowt wrong with that in my book!

In my collection in the pic above, the one on the bottom right is an inexpensive quartz Pulsar that was my Dad’s daily watch for the last few years of his life.(He died on New Years Eve1982). Compared to my Rolexes it doesn’t have a great heritage or sexy movement or whatever but it’s wafer thin, slides under a French cuff easily and has the nice touch of a black dome on the crown plus of course the sentimental value of having belonged to my old man so that’s the one I wear with my dinner jacket.
I like to imagine that @NakedYoga 's night goes something more like:

"Honey, how long before we need to get home to the babysitter?"

"WHO F***ING CARES?!"

* pounds another shot *

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"I paid $5,000 for this bespoke dinner jacket and by God I'm getting my money's worth!"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads