• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn’t realize the Explorer was one of those “wait list” watches.
Still, a handsome piece. Enjoy it.

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you attribute that to your love of the Sub, or just a general contentment with one nice watch, regardless of what it is?
If you're going to go with One Watch, the Sub is a great choice.

Do you also feel the same with other luxury items such as cars, shoes, etc.?

You know, it's hard to identify the root cause of the sudden and unexpected cure of my watch addiction. I like my Sub, but I don't think it's the greatest watch in the world or anything. There are a lot of nice watches out there. So I do have eyes for other watches, it's just that I'm never tempted to stray, you might say, LOL. When the Sub came along I just lost interest in all the others. I still appreciate them but I don't have any urge to buy them, and I never ask myself whether I'd happier with another watch.

As for other luxury goods, there's no uniform rule. I love cars but buy them as infrequently as possible -- I just drive the old ones until the wheels fall off. My wife's car is creeping up on 200,000 miles so I'll replace it soon, hopefully with a Model Y. But I'll probably keep driving my Audi until it's no longer worth fixing. It's a nice car and has never given me any problems. The electronics are already pretty dated but... I'm not motivated to buy a new car just to get better electronics. Many people lease so that they can drive a new car every few years, and I've thought about doing that too, but... when you chase the latest and greatest, the chase never seems to end. If I were one year into a 3-year lease and a better car came along, I just KNOW I'd be counting the months until I could trade in my current car and get the better one. But that would be a shame, because it would impair my enjoyment of my current car.

Suits, same thing -- I bought 5 bespoke suits and 2 sport coats from one of those HK tailors about 14 years ago. They're finally getting a little shiny and threadbare so... I'll order some more from the same place. I buy new shirts when the white ones turn grey, or when the collars and cuffs start looking like Swiss cheese. It costs a little up front to buy the bespoke suits and sportcoats but over time they are an excellent value. I'd like to get some Saville Row suits, but paying five times more without getting five times the value -- that's a lot to ask. If money were no object I'd try a Saville Row tailor, sure. But money is an object for me, I'm lucky enough to be in a position to buy some of the things we enjoy here on SF, but my budget is not unlimited. I buy things like ties, business casual shirts, and khakis in fits and starts, one year I'll buy 10 shirts and 6 or 7 ties and then I'll go another year or two without buying anything.

When it comes to shoes I'm pretty much a crackhead. I hope it's impossible to overdose on shoes because if it is possible, my days are definitely numbered. There are people here on SF who have larger collections than I do but... I've got a pretty big collection. I've finally got my habit under control, to some extent, but it was raging for quite a while and I've got an embarrassingly large collection.

So I don't know why my watch addiction was cured with the first purchase. When I was in the market for my Sub I was sure I'd have a major watch habit but... it just went away all by itself, instantly. My shoe addiction still has me in its clutches, I like to think I've beaten it but the truth is that at any moment I could buy another 5 pairs. But watches... I just went cold turkey and never went through withdrawal. Who can explain it?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn’t realize the Explorer was one of those “wait list” watches.
Still, a handsome piece. Enjoy it.
My impression from reading watch forums is that the "Big Four" are Daytona, Pepsi, Batgirl, and Hulk. When any of those are readily available at MSRP or below, we'll know that the Rolex bubble has burst.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The blue dial stainless/gold Sky-Dweller is also much sought after.

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that it’s not the greatest watch in the world. But it might be the greatest one-watch collection in the world.
+1 while neither my GMT Master II nor my Sub are my favorite. If push came to shove and I was left with one watch it would be one of those two. By far the best 1-watch candidates in my stable.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG-1784.jpg

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After over a year of searching, finally found a suitable day-date, ref 18238. Almost NOS with the case back sticker still intact, 0 stretch in the bracelet, matte dial. Bad timing given the current environment. Not sure where I'll be wearing this but still enjoying this at home

Attachments

• IMG_0450.jpg
    IMG_0450.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After over a year of searching, finally found a suitable day-date, ref 18238. Almost NOS with the case back sticker still intact, 0 stretch in the bracelet, matte dial. Bad timing given the current environment. Not sure where I'll be wearing this but still enjoying this at home

Wow, that is fantastic!!! Love the watch on it's own, but that German date wheel too...

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Congrats! :cheers: Looks great! It's rare to see a vintage Day-Date that is so crisp and new, and with the original brushed finish on the lugs. I've never seen an older DD in such nice condition. Gold being relatively soft and a lot of DDs being worn daily, even for very rigorous activities, many look like they have seen better days. You are basically getting to experience a nearly new condition vintage watch. Enjoy it!

Last edited:

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone other than @Jerkstore and @cchen have a recent pick-up or incoming? Or are you all waiting for the bottom to drop out of the watch market?

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone other than @Jerkstore and @cchen have a recent pick-up or incoming? Or are you all waiting for the bottom to drop out of the watch market?
I have a Akrivia Chronometre Contemporain incoming, due may/June. Haven’t heard yet if it will be supplied as expected.
I am waiting for the resale market to drop, have my eye on a couple of pieces but prices seem excessive.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should add, resale prices have been hit by weak Australian dollar, so it’s the currency’s fault as well as price hikes thanks to a certain reseller.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads