• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else rotating through their watches like mad during lockdown?

Great watch. Saw this one for sale recently. A slight twist on your model.

1585616788536.png

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does Rolex have any form during previous economically challenging times of lowering MSRP?
Not sure about Rolex but PP did so on some models in USA during the Great Recession. I had a pending order with my AD when the price cut was announced. My AD refunded the price difference without me even asking for it.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure about Rolex but PP did so on some models in USA during the Great Recession. I had a pending order with my AD when the price cut was announced. My AD refunded the price difference.

Yes, Patek, Cartier, and a few others reduced prices. Rolex did not.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'll start rotating when the pubs reopen. Which is coincidentally also when I've told my wife I'll start shaving again.

A co-worker who is working from home told his wife he is going to stop shaving until he has to go back to the office. She said, if he stops shaving, so will she. He has continued to shave.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As for comparing to Pateks, workmanship is great, and I like some of their watches, but unless one is looking at one of their complicated pieces, many of their designs are stodgy and dull. They offered far more interesting designs in the 1950s and 60s. Today with social medial and branding being what it is, it has almost reached a mythical status where no one criticizes what they produce.
Riva hijack Dino’s account?

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always tried to establish relationships with shops and SAs that were nice. I bought my first Rolex as a teenager, and in more than 30 years I've done business with many Rolex ADs. Sadly, of the various AD's I purchased Rolex watches from, only one is still both in business and still an AD for Rolex (although, that could change when Rolex opens its own boutique a few blocks away).

I've had little contact with Wempe, other than assisting my father in negotiating the purchase price of a Lange. They simply were not competitive, so he purchased it elsewhere. As for servicing a watch I've never dealt with them. I've seen enough mediocre work/mistakes from the inhouse service departments of other ADs for Rolex, AP, Patek, IWC, etc, that I would never trust anything I cared about to an AD's in-house watchmaker, but your YMMV.
Does this apply if the AD employs someone with a CW21 certification who does all the work? In other words, what’s the value of CW21 or CWM21 certification?

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does this apply if the AD employs someone with a CW21 certification who does all the work? In other words, what’s the value of CW21 or CWM21 certification?

Yes, today for me it applies to all ADs. Many years ago I used some AD service centers for a GMT Master 16750. I was younger, my knowledge of watches and what to expect from service centers was more limited. Back then it was much more difficult to get information about watches, service or to be in contact with other collectors who could share their experiences and knowledge.

Looking back I don't see any advantage, and I've seen better work from manufacturers service centers. It doesn't matter to me what credentials the person possesses at an AD. I simply wouldn't use one for service. Sometimes the environment just isn't the same and corners are more likely to be cut. After all who else at an AD has the skills to oversee or check their work to ensure they comply with particular standards. I've seen watches serviced at ADs where the wrong sized screwdrivers were used on watches, many years ago I had seen a few watches with water inside that hadn't been properly sealed (and tested to make sure they were pressure proof -something I would think is quick and easy to do), and bezels, lugs, and cases that were distorted from over polishing. Some AD service centers do not have the same factory polishing machines that are in the manufacturers service centers (and even then it may not be quite the same as how it left the factory). Now I'm sure there are some very diligent people at AD service centers, but why would I want to test the service skills of an AD on something I care about? If someone really screws up my watch, I would much rather be dealing with the manufacturer's service center who is better equipped to remedy the situation. Sure, I suppose for some bringing a watch to an AD is more convenient, but I value work being as close to perfect as possible and the ability to remedy a problem if necessary over convenience.

From what I have seen at least in the US, many companies have either eliminated altogether or drastically reduced the number of AD authorized service centers. In fact of the remaining Rolex ADs in my nearest 2 regions, none of them have factory authorized service centers.

Jerkstore

Reaction score
Picking up a new watch for my birthday today. Was going to go with the Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch, but I already have a Breitling Navitimer, so it seems redundant if I am going to drop $5k+.

I have never liked Rolex much at all, but I made myself look at every single model recently and have since come around to fall in love with the Explorer I (I was first drawn to the submariner no date, but it's a bit too recognizable and also has some of the redundancy I want to avoid). My local AD is a family friend and made an appointment for me to come in the supposed only one in their vault. So today should be a good day and I'll have months now to just sit and look at it. Good times.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picking up a new watch for my birthday today. Was going to go with the Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch, but I already have a Breitling Navitimer, so it seems redundant if I am going to drop $5k+.

I have never liked Rolex much at all, but I made myself look at every single model recently and have since come around to fall in love with the Explorer I (I was first drawn to the submariner no date, but it's a bit too recognizable and also has some of the redundancy I want to avoid). My local AD is a family friend and made an appointment for me to come in the supposed only one in their vault. So today should be a good day and I'll have months now to just sit and look at it. Good times.
Great choice! Love mine and have fallen in love with it all over again during this time of quarantine!

Last edited:

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I generally wear my Apple Watch, but for some reason during the quarantine, I've been wearing my Submariner every day. It's so nice not to have my watch constantly pinging me with notifications. Everything has slowed down and it's very peaceful to have a watch that is just a watch.

DED3454B-4F57-4CE2-A294-6F84C4165933_1_105_c.jpeg

Now here's a story that will NOT resonate with most here: before I bought my Submariner, I looked at all the different watches and learned about movements, etc. While I was saving up for the watch I just assumed that my Submariner would be the first of many luxury watches -- next I'd get a GMT, then an S/S Daytona, followed by Vacherons, Pateks, etc. Now, I had no idea how I was going to pay for any of these future purchases but... you know how it is.

To my amazement, as soon as I got my Submariner I immediately lost all interest in nice watches. It was like flipping a switch - I was cured just like that. It's been 15 years and I'm still cured. I still admire nice watches, but it's just that.... admiration from afar. If I ever get a big windfall and have more money than I can spend, then sure -- I'll pick up a Vacheron and maybe a Day-Date. But if I never buy another watch that's fine with me. Weird, right?

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I generally wear my Apple Watch, but for some reason during the quarantine, I've been wearing my Submariner every day. It's so nice not to have my watch constantly pinging me with notifications. Everything has slowed down and it's very peaceful to have a watch that is just a watch.

View attachment 1363879

Now here's a story that will NOT resonate with most here: before I bought my Submariner, I looked at all the different watches and learned about movements, etc. While I was saving up for the watch I just assumed that my Submariner would be the first of many luxury watches -- next I'd get a GMT, then an S/S Daytona, followed by Vacherons, Pateks, etc. Now, I had no idea how I was going to pay for any of these future purchases but... you know how it is.

To my amazement, as soon as I got my Submariner I immediately lost all interest in nice watches. It was like flipping a switch - I was cured just like that. It's been 15 years and I'm still cured. I still admire nice watches, but it's just that.... admiration from afar. If I ever get a big windfall and have more money than I can spend, then sure -- I'll pick up a Vacheron and maybe a Day-Date. But if I never buy another watch that's fine with me. Weird, right?

Do you attribute that to your love of the Sub, or just a general contentment with one nice watch, regardless of what it is?

an draoi

Reaction score

View attachment 1363879
* adopts Derek Zoolander voice *

Just a watch?! JUST A WATCH?!?! I DON'T THINK SO!

That is an officially certified superlatively chronometastic tool watch.

WSW

Reaction score

View attachment 1363879

If you're going to go with One Watch, the Sub is a great choice.

Do you also feel the same with other luxury items such as cars, shoes, etc.?

Jerkstore

Reaction score

07735303-0F3D-40B8-9348-01BF5D9369FC.jpeg

Boy is this Explorer special.

I was told no one just walks into a store and buys a Rolex--always lists, etc. So happy birthday to me for deciding two days ago I wanted this particular watch.

I was really lucky they had this, too. Rolex has been unable to ship a bunch of watches to ADs and this store jumped on a bunch of stock and has been making private appointments. So if I didn't buy this today, I would have had to wait a while to find another. So they're not having any problems moving them, but Rolex apparently has a lot of stock waiting to be sent off to ADs once they open again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads