• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think your analysis is well written and logical.

I very much hope that things don't get really bad.

Frankly, unless the US and China recover quite quickly, I think that it will be worse.

I'm in Australia and although we are not in lockdown, we have some pretty draconian "social distancing" regulations in place, and cafes and restaurants are not allowed to have people eating in but can only do take-away food and drinks. My city is like a ghost town at the moment. The vast majority of shops are closed, even department stores. The only places that are still doing well are supermarkets and other food stores, and hardware stores. Airlines have essentially shut down and have furloughed tens of thousands of staff. Unemployment has skyrocketed. Our Prime Minister is warning people that this situation could last for the next six months or more.

If businesses are able to sell online they will still continue to get some business but, as @Ambulance Chaser wrote, there's an understandable reluctance to purchase discretionary goods at present as people aren't sure whether they will still be employed in another few weeks or months. They have to prioritise mortgage/rent and other living expenses before fripperies like watches.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got offered this huge $5 discount today. ;)

IMG_1257 2.jpg

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree with a most of what you wrote. However, how much of this happens, really depends on how long things remain the way they are now, with lockdowns and shelter in place orders for all non-essential workers. I think things would have to go on this way for a long time to see discounts from ADs on steel sports Rolex watches. I haven't seen discounts on steel sport model Rolex watches in more than 5 yeas and that was when you could walk into ADs and find any model except SS Daytonas in showcases, and before watches like steel GMTs and Subs were selling for more than their list price.
I remember during the recession when you could get Daytonas on the cheap and they were in the display case for anyone off the street to buy

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember during the recession when you could get Daytonas on the cheap and they were in the display case for anyone off the street to buy

If by the recession, you mean 2008 into 2009, although Daytonas were selling over list price, even before that recession, they were not selling for anything close to what they were in 2016 and later. So they were "Relatively cheap" back then anyway.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do lange NOT hold their value?
They are sort of in the middle. Not Patek or Rolex where preowned values may be higher than MSRP, but also not most of the other luxury brands where resale drops like a rock. It also depends on the specific reference of course.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think we will definitely see a huge flood of watches hitting the market at great prices. Can't wait!
They are sort of in the middle. Not Patek or Rolex where preowned values may be higher than MSRP, but also not most of the other luxury brands where resale drops like a rock. It also depends on the specific reference of course.

They definitely don't hold value but if you buy used it's not a big deal. I sold my Lange 1 for a $500 loss recently.

I'm hoping things crash so I can pick up an FPJ at a reasonable price. ?

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think we will definitely see a huge flood of watches hitting the market at great prices. Can't wait!

They definitely don't hold value but if you buy used it's not a big deal. I sold my Lange 1 for a $500 loss recently.

I'm hoping things crash so I can pick up an FPJ at a reasonable price. ?

Not unless govberg gets hit hard.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm giving the watches in my regular rotation a rest and wearing watches that don't normally see wrist time (Swatch Sistem51, Seiko Orange Monster). It helps that I'm hearing a t-shirt every day and don't have to worry about sliding these thick watches underneath a shirt cuff.

an draoi

Reaction score
Is anyone else rotating through their watches like mad during lockdown?

View attachment 1363543
Actually, the opposite for me. I've been wearing my Explorer 1 since I got wfh'd, apart from a G-shock for exercising. Part of my morning ritual was to go and pick out a different watch to wear. Now I just want something that is comfortable to wear and doesn't look out of place with a cuffed shirt, t-shirt, polo shirt or hoodie. Wait, did the covid find my One Watch?!

Maybe I'll start rotating when the pubs reopen. Which is coincidentally also when I've told my wife I'll start shaving again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads