• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't Rolex pre-screen its ADs? I assume there are differing levels of service among ADs, but all of them would have to meet some minimum level of quality,

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
damn, almost had my hands on a journe i really wanted but max bid missed by a little bit. in this environment, probably for the better.....

FibroblastsMakeLeather

Reaction score
This is my first post on this particular thread.

Styleforum for me has been about shoes and boots, which has always been an obsession since watching Indiana Jones as a child and admiring his boots.

Working from home, I haven't been able to wear my boots as much as I would like. So fewer posts...

This is the first watch that I have ever purchased for myself, which I acquired from an AD in January of this year, without a previous relationship after a 1 month wait. My experience with the Rolex AD system has been a positive one.

Be safe out there and let's hope that the future is bright for as many people as can be.

20200328_082454.jpg

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents, I apologize to interrupt. I recently got into Rolex and just wondering, does AD's reputation matters when you purchase Rolex?

While I was looking for ADs, there are different ADs near NYC. Wempe, Tourneau, London Jewelers, Watches of Switzerland and even Lee Perla Jewelers, Morre-Lyons in New Jersey. So, If you're buying Rolex watch from AD, I just want to know whether name of AD is under consideration.

I've purchased Rolex watches from many ADs. The name of the AD has never really mattered much to me. I've mostly looked for ones where the sales staff are friendly and the experience is pleasant. All new Rolex watches come with a 5 year warranty, so if there is a problem, it will be covered by the warranty.

An extended warranty is always nice, but to me it is only valuable if it means they send it to the manufacturer's service center, rather than having their "in house" hack attempting to repair the watch. TBH, in all the years I've been collecting, I only ever had the extended warranty come in useful once, and that was back when the the warranty on Rolex was only a year or two.

Good luck and happy shopping!

an draoi

Reaction score

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents, I apologize to interrupt. I recently got into Rolex and just wondering, does AD's reputation matters when you purchase Rolex?

While I was looking for ADs, there are different ADs near NYC. Wempe, Tourneau, London Jewelers, Watches of Switzerland and even Lee Perla Jewelers, Morre-Lyons in New Jersey. So, If you're buying Rolex watch from AD, I just want to know whether name of AD is under consideration.
I have never given much thought about the actual business, but rather the particular sales person. I have purchased a few watches from 2 AD's over the past year. Maybe I am old fashioned, though i have sent thank you cards after each purchase and a gift to each over the Holidays. Having said this, a couple of times i went into one of these stores when my SA was on a day off and was pretty much ignored.
For me at least, it is all about relationships...

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've purchased Rolex watches from many ADs. The name of the AD has never really mattered much to me. I've mostly looked for ones where the sales staff are friendly and the experience is pleasant. All new Rolex watches come with a 5 year warranty, so if there is a problem, it will be covered by the warranty.

An extended warranty is always nice, but to me it is only valuable if it means they send it to the manufacturer's service center, rather than having their "in house" hack attempting to repair the watch. TBH, in all the years I've been collecting, I only ever had the extended warranty come in useful once, and that was back when the the warranty on Rolex was only a year or two.

Good luck and happy shopping!

just curious how you would rate Wempe’s watch servicing. Specifically Rolex.

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow - thanks for posting! Certainly plenty of stunning and interesting watches there. But what happened to the jumping hour Omega?
Sold it to a young man who was quite a fan of it. I didn't need two tonneau-esq, salmon dial dress watches in the collection and the Roth just blows it out of the water in finishing and interest for me.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everyone is speculating it's Govberg who's now controlling the market. They've been really pushing Journe watches on their WatchBox youtube channel.

Nobody “controls” the market. Nobody, least of all Govberg and their dumb ass YouTube videos.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having said this, a couple of times i went into one of these stores when my SA was on a day off and was pretty much ignored.
For me at least, it is all about relationships...

I've always tried to establish relationships with shops and SAs that were nice. I bought my first Rolex as a teenager, and in more than 30 years I've done business with many Rolex ADs. Sadly, of the various AD's I purchased Rolex watches from, only one is still both in business and still an AD for Rolex (although, that could change when Rolex opens its own boutique a few blocks away).

just curious how you would rate Wempe’s watch servicing. Specifically Rolex.

I've had little contact with Wempe, other than assisting my father in negotiating the purchase price of a Lange. They simply were not competitive, so he purchased it elsewhere. As for servicing a watch I've never dealt with them. I've seen enough mediocre work/mistakes from the inhouse service departments of other ADs for Rolex, AP, Patek, IWC, etc, that I would never trust anything I cared about to an AD's in-house watchmaker, but your YMMV.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads