• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have always preferred the Souverain. That is on my to-shark list if prices get soft.

1585277761507.png

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine has one. Its fine, but I don't get it either. But at least that's one less watch on my "Must haves" list.
I think it's just a good story. Had heard multiple people describe much of the contemporary art market being about "a good story to tell your friends when they come over". The design is minimalist enough to be wearable professionally (unlike similar De Bethunes), but tantalum, Journe, etc. etc.

montecristo#2

Reaction score
Have always preferred the Souverain. That is on my to-shark list if prices get soft.

View attachment 1361814

I'm with you on this one. This watch in red gold is next on my list. Was about to pull the trigger back in January but then all of a sudden prices shot up -- it's like someone (maybe Journe?) bought up all the supply.

Prices on Chron24 seem to be holding steady for now. Clearly a lagging indicator of the times.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 hoping second hand prices cool down. I really want an FPJ but like you guys said...prices have become really stupid for what they are lol

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Prices on Chron24 seem to be holding steady for now. Clearly a lagging indicator of the times.

I noticed the same thing. They are certainly not the only source, but a good bellwether.

On Jomashop, the stainless steel Daytonas and the GMTs are still as inflated as ever.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When we were tracking real estate listings and prices (a la OpenDoor) we found that the list prices did not go down much. What happened is the gap between list price to actual sold value (as recorded by the government of the countries in question for the listing) increased, from something like 2% to 10% by the end of the market downturn (which took about 1.5 years).

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Journe Chronomètre Blue price explosion always puzzled me a bit.

I don't have nearly the connections/relationships that other folks have in this thread, so it's mostly the occasional check on watchrecon/chrono24 etc. during the day. Looking for a dress watch, but find myself opportunistically searching for some sports watches...

As a CB owner...... I completely agree! At $40-50k now, there are numerous other watches that I'd rather have. Yet at the same time, this is my favorite watch and I still didn't want to sell out even in this price point.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's just a good story. Had heard multiple people describe much of the contemporary art market being about "a good story to tell your friends when they come over". The design is minimalist enough to be wearable professionally (unlike similar De Bethunes), but tantalum, Journe, etc. etc.

I suppose that is one way to look at it. It's a nice watch and I respect the workmanship that goes into their watches, but they have never really interested me. I'm pretty content with what I have so if I'm going to buy something I really have to love it. When I want a watch I tend to obsess about it, and I've never felt that way about anything from FPJ. However, if it is someone's dream watch and they are able to get one, then I'm happy for them. For me part of collecting is also appreciating the diversity of someone else's collection, and hearing about what led them to choose certain pieces.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I collect contemporary art as well as watches, and I think there are quite a few similarities between the two. Primary among them is that the wealthiest collectors often have the most boring collections because they all go after the "name" pieces--Hirst, Koons, and Murakami for the art collectors and PP Nautilus, AP Royal Oak, and vintage Rolex Daytona for the watch collectors. One art collector has described this as the "jukebox" mentality where there is a consensus on the "best" pieces and well-heeled collectors merely push buttons from an already made selection.

Last edited:

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose that is one way to look at it. It's a nice watch and I respect the workmanship that goes into their watches, but they have never really interested me. I'm pretty content with what I have so if I'm going to buy something I really have to love it. When I want a watch I tend to obsess about it, and I've never felt that way about anything from FPJ. However, if it is someone's dream watch and they are able to get one, then I'm happy for them. For me part of collecting is also appreciating the diversity of someone else's collection, and hearing about what led them to choose certain pieces.

I just think the FPJs are gorgeous. Far more visually appealing to me than almost any PP, for example.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I collect contemporary art as well as watches, and I think there are quite a few similarities between the two. Primary among them is that the wealthiest collectors often have the most boring collections because they all go after the "name" pieces--Hirst, Koons, and Murakami for the art collectors and PP Nautilus, AP Royal Oak, and vintage Rolex Daytona for the watch collectors. One art collector has described this as the "jukebox" mentality where there is a consensus on the "best" pieces and well-heeled collectors merely push buttons from an already made selection.
It's a decent analogy but only goes so far. The difference is the depth of the art market. All of us on here can probably name every significant watchmaker without a second thought, while there are tens of thousands of important artists that none of us have ever heard of. So there's a discovery problem in collecting art that doesn't really occur in collecting watches, unless you get into really obscure corners of the market.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can someone with an automatic Rolex Daytona tell me how it wears? I've read that it wears on the smaller size because it is not a maxi case and is actually 39 mm in width rather than the listed 40 mm. That would suit me just fine, as my wrist is just under 7".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads