• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what you’re describing is an economic bubble. But instead of tulips, we’re talking about watches.
I'd go further - the sharp rise in the AP Jumbo and a few other pieces just before covid was eerily similar to Bitcoin's final month before the plunge in its speed and ferocity...

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd go further - the sharp rise in the AP Jumbo and a few other pieces just before covid was eerily similar to Bitcoin's final month before the plunge in its speed and ferocity...
From your lips to God's ears, as they say. We could do with a good old-fashioned panic liquidation. Let's see if all the helicopter money is enough?

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From your lips to God's ears, as they say. We could do with a good old-fashioned panic liquidation. Let's see if all the helicopter money is enough?
I have a shopping list, and was mostly in cash for a variety of reasons before this all started. But I would prefer to not have the opportunity to execute the list...

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't help but feel it's like a game of chicken... if there is a substantial lowering in demand that is likely to last, then the first to offload will be the best off. Would then the more sophisticated dealers offload first? I'm sure @Dino944 has some thoughts/experience on the matter.

Similar to cars, watch dealers will take a loss to a wholesaler long before they ever take a loss to a retail customer. There's so much collusion that goes on amongst these guys, mostly in private online chat rooms, and these guys are much more incentivized to liquidate to someone they have a longstanding relationship with, vs. some prick like me who only cares about getting the best deal possible, regardless of whom it's coming from.

With that said, the hobbyist flippers who made a quick ~$1-2k on a couple of Hulks, got arrogant, and started overpaying for other hot stainless timepieces to build up their Instagram following while operating on razor thin margins are going to get wiped out fast. I'm already seeing some very tempting "right place, right price, right time" deals popping up, which is how I ended up with this like-new 116505 I bought for ~$10k below retail+tax.

6E3B7EA0-8C78-4104-90C2-6BD098AD8665.jpeg

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After the Horology House scandal, I'm paranoid about buying a SS Rolex from anyone other than an AD or a well-established gray. Hopefully prices charged by those vendors fall to MSRP within a few months.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just so everyone knows, here’s two screen shots of texts I received from the owner of a very large, reputable jewelry store. ADs are starting to hurt. Good - let them. Subsequent texts included pictures of about 10 Rolexes I was offered. I didn’t like any of them, so I passed. This, however, gives you an idea of how ADs are starting to feel the squeeze.
A1EC5A6C-BBAB-4B54-85C5-4D934206043C.jpeg
BE9B66A8-59D6-4794-BFC1-0DEB413343C9.jpeg

giuseppe

Reaction score
The sector at the moment can only stop winning, but it does not lose, for the moment.
Most sectors if they lose ... Let them wait 2 more months.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a start, but kind of like someone telling you, "You can date any Game of Thrones cast member . . . except Emilia Clarke." :) When the white-dialed Daytona hits MSRP, we'll know that ADs have hit rock bottom.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just so everyone knows, here’s two screen shots of texts I received from the owner of a very large, reputable jewelry store. ADs are starting to hurt. Good - let them. Subsequent texts included pictures of about 10 Rolexes I was offered. I didn’t like any of them, so I passed. This, however, gives you an idea of how ADs are starting to feel the squeeze. View attachment 1361505 View attachment 1361506
I received similar offer from Govberg overnight - but not for Rolex, rather JLC and F.P. Journe.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Journe Chronomètre Blue price explosion always puzzled me a bit.

I don't have nearly the connections/relationships that other folks have in this thread, so it's mostly the occasional check on watchrecon/chrono24 etc. during the day. Looking for a dress watch, but find myself opportunistically searching for some sports watches...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads