• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful Patek. For yellow gold, I tend to favor true vintage watches -- but that's really an iconic piece.

Last edited:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
5196's seem to be trading around ~ $15.5k rather than the usual ~ $17-$18k.

rodgers12

Reaction score
Just offered a Pepsi by my AD.
need to let something go firstly though.
anyone after an Explorer II or Sky Dweller (black). Both unworn
Still waiting for either GMT ?

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am sure AD’s will start calling. I would not think that they can afford to sit on inventory
for too long...
Can't help but feel it's like a game of chicken... if there is a substantial lowering in demand that is likely to last, then the first to offload will be the best off. Would then the more sophisticated dealers offload first? I'm sure @Dino944 has some thoughts/experience on the matter.

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly. I passed on it..... Texted back at 10am and it was taken anyways..

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't help but feel it's like a game of chicken... if there is a substantial lowering in demand that is likely to last, then the first to offload will be the best off. Would then the more sophisticated dealers offload first? I'm sure @Dino944 has some thoughts/experience on the matter.

Well, I'm in the US, where things have not been going on for as long as they have in China, Italy, or other parts of Europe. Much of what happens depends on how long lockdowns remain in place and how many would be buyers have either been laid off and/or how many self employed would be buyers' businesses have sustained significant losses.

I think it is important to remember, on the sales side we have 2 distinct groups, the ADs and the gray dealers . You are speaking of the second group, gray dealers. I agree with your statement. Overhead will vary depending on if they only have an online store or if they also have a brick and mortar store. A gray with a lot of inventory is probably getting nervous about the slow down in sales, their shops being closed, how much they paid for pieces like Pepsis and Daytonas, and their ongoing costs such as insurance, possible rent. There are probably many shrewd buyers unaffected financially, who are going to hold off and wait until demand and prices have softened significantly. Places maintaining strong prices and holding onto inventory run the risk of market prices being driven down as others unload pieces before they do. Another thing that may happen is that people who buy with the idea of flipping, may find it more difficult to flip a piece in this economy and they panic and start selling well be low what grays are asking. If ADs just got in a shipment of Rolex or other watches, they have to or did pay Rolex or other manufacturers for the inventory. There are grays who have been through this before and survived, but it can be a very tough time for many of them.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm in the US, where things have not been going on for as long as they have in China, Italy, or other parts of Europe. Much of what happens depends on how long lockdowns remain in place and how many would be buyers have either been laid off and/or how many self employed would be buyers' businesses have sustained significant losses.

I think it is important to remember, on the sales side we have 2 distinct groups, the ADs and the gray dealers . You are speaking of the second group, gray dealers. I agree with your statement. Overhead will vary depending on if they only have an online store or if they also have a brick and mortar store. A gray with a lot of inventory is probably getting nervous about the slow down in sales, their shops being closed, how much they paid for pieces like Pepsis and Daytonas, and their ongoing costs such as insurance, possible rent. There are probably many shrewd buyers unaffected financially, who are going to hold off and wait until demand and prices have softened significantly. Places maintaining strong prices and holding onto inventory run the risk of market prices being driven down as others unload pieces before they do. Another thing that may happen is that people who buy with the idea of flipping, may find it more difficult to flip a piece in this economy and they panic and start selling well be low what grays are asking. If ADs just got in a shipment of Rolex or other watches, they have to or did pay Rolex or other manufacturers for the inventory. There are grays who have been through this before and survived, but it can be a very tough time for many of them.

what you’re describing is an economic bubble. But instead of tulips, we’re talking about watches.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what you’re describing is an economic bubble. But instead of tulips, we’re talking about watches.

Yes, but I tend to think of a bubble as something that is rather short term, say maybe just a few years. When it comes to Daytonas they have been in short supply and selling for well over their list price for roughly 30 years. Only after the economic meltdown of 2008 did we see prices soften and availability improve from maybe 2009 through roughly 2012 or so and then prices went up again.

Does Rolex have any form during previous economically challenging times of lowering MSRP?

I've never see that happen. Usually, they just maintain the current price for a longer period of time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads