• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Policies seem to be different around the world. In the US for example, at least years ago you could call an AD to see if they had the watch in stock, but you could not give them your credit card and purchase it over the phone and have it shipped. I had this happen once, and had to send a friend who lived in state to complete the purchase for me. In addition, in Europe it is/was common to for example purchase a different color dial or a different bezel and keep your old one. In the US, Rolex USA insists on keeping the old parts. In the past I've had dealers who did not care about taking off the protective stickers and they would give you the bezel protector. My last purchase, they insisted it was a new Rolex policy to remove all protective stickers. A few years ago I heard some one on a Rolex forum complain that to buy a new steel Rolex his ADs insisted on engraving his initials on the case back. IIRC, if you refused to have the watch engraved and you still wanted to purchase it, they would sell it to you, but they would keep the papers/warranty card etc...to be sure you were not buying and flipping it immediately.

As for discounts, no one in the US that I've dealt with in recent years was willing to discount a steel model. Years ago, I used to encounter some ADs that said Rolex insists on no discounts, other dealers would do a 5% discount if you asked (provided it wasn't a steel Daytona) and you could get larger discounts on two tones models and an even larger discount on all gold or platinum models. Another dealer I used to purchase from would have a tag on the watch with the MSRP and a second price that was a 10% discount on all steel watches (except steel Daytonas and green Subs, there was no GMT craze at that point). I think he did 15% on tutone and 20%+ on all gold. So in my experience, it all depended on the dealer and they kind of made up the rules as they went along.
Thanks Dino. Very informative...I wish that I had the watch bug when I lived in Hong Kong + 20 years ago. My first “nice” watch was a Breitling and IIRC the discount was 25 or 30%!

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is Hodinkee's posting of an ad posing as a story a new thing? The Chopard "story" currently at the top of its page is pretty blatant. And I like the Alpine Eagle.
Snow and steel - I was hoping for an article on Damascus steel. Got a horrendously annoying fluff piece.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PP's waiting lists are certainly no longer chronological. That 3-year wait for a 5711 you were quoted 4 years ago? "Since you don't have a history of purchases with our boutique, then I'm afraid you're looking at another 3 - 4 years, sir." Assuming that they keep you on the list at all. Still, at least they are being open about it.

This idea of ADs selling sought-after models above MSRP - is this an exclusively north American thing? I've not seen this ever happening in the UK, although my watch purchase history does not extend very far back. If it used to be common (in the US and/or elsewhere) and is now prohibited by manufacturers - and sales to grey dealers/flippers risk cancellation of the AD's contract - then the habit of ADs selectively holding back in-demand models to motivate/reward their highest-spending customers is an understandable strategy (still frustrating though).

I think you're replying to my post with the bolded. When I say I "paid for the privilege" I mean that I have purchased four watches from my AD in twelve months. I've only ever paid msrp.

I had a friend who a couple years ago or so was offered a new Batman at two different ADs while he was just browsing. He plans to buy one eventually but was not ready at the time. Did not want to tell him that when he’s ready for it, it may not be ready for him. He didn’t have the $$$ to move on it, and flipping for profit is awesome until it’s not.

About four to five years ago I was on a trip for work and popped into an AD just down the way from where we were meeting. Case was pretty bare and of course they didn't have a Batman. I mentioned how I'd not had the opportunity to try one on yet and asked if I could try the white gold Pepsi. The sales person said something about how much it cost and I told him I was aware. So he let me try it on. He then took down my information for the Batman waiting list. He called within a month and I passed as I wasn't sold on Rolex at the time. Wish I'd taken the opportunity.

Or, possibly, more.

Since we're on thought experiments here's another -- you can own only one Rolex and it can't be in steel?

This:

1582866564234.png

OK, I do love that, but probably one of these:

1582866688116.png

1582866710381.png

I like a lot of the Daytonas in the current catalog.

I'm pretty sure Rolex ceased to be a tool watch with the five-digit references (glossy dial, white gold surrounds).

I disagree. Either way I think the changes they've made like those you've referenced were a brilliant move by Rolex. They give their tool watches a level of polish that now has them competing as dress watches as well. Perhaps not dress watches to the watch community, but in general many of their pieces look dressy.

Is Hodinkee's posting of an ad posing as a story a new thing? The Chopard "story" currently at the top of its page is pretty blatant. And I like the Alpine Eagle.

No, they've done it a few times now. It is pretty clearly labeled though.

I may not be in the same camp as some here based on some of the comments, but I am moving into the more critical camp when it comes to Hodinkee. I feel as though their online content is... diluted more of late and the magazine has played a role in this. I don't know of course, but just my perception. I'd like to see more "Week on the Wrist" and "Hands-On" content and with some "better" watches to boot.

I've enjoyed some of those episodes. Although, I find Hodinkee in general sort of hit or miss. Also, the emails I get from them about new arrivals in their vintage watch department are sort of a joke. Even when I open them immediately, almost anything they post that is interesting or from Rolex, PP, VC, etc is already sold. It's like going to a restaurant, and being given a menu with last night's specials: lobster, fillet mignon, and chocolate lava cake, and then being told all they have left to serve you tonight is a frozen fish sticks, baked beans, and half eaten candy bar.

I've had mixed luck catching the drops. What I will say is I was strong considering that Universal Geneve Polerouter Sub they still have. Colors and condition are excellent. However I was fortunate enough to find a thread on the watch on Omega Forums and after discovering the "issues" with the watch I was immediately deterred. While it's probably a consignment piece as I understand a lot of their watches are, they should really pull that watch from the site.

an draoi

Reaction score
@BLAUGRANA , actually I was referring to Dino's tale of an AD offering to sell him a Daytona at a premium. I recall you describing your recent-ish purchases previously (and remember thinking "how many f***ing Rolexes does one guy need?" :))
Thanks for clarifying what "PM" means...you are probably right. I just couldn't think of it.

I agree with your sentiments about how ridiculous some of the game playing to get what one wants has become. Over 20 years ago I walked out of a shop that told me if I wanted a steel Daytona (which they had in stock), I could either pay a roughly 72% premium over the list price, or buy a BP that didn't interest me and I could then get the Daytona at list price. I must admit I couldn't help but smile when a few years after that I learned that they lost their contract with Rolex, and eventually also with Cartier, IWC, JLC, Chopard, etc. I just can't imagine buying watches I don't want, simply to try to get one I do want.

While there are a few watches I would like to add to my collection, if that never happens, I'll be fine with that. I'm very happy with the ones I already own.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you're replying to my post with the bolded. When I say I "paid for the privilege" I mean that I have purchased four watches from my AD in twelve months. I've only ever paid msrp.

About four to five years ago I was on a trip for work and popped into an AD just down the way from where we were meeting. Case was pretty bare and of course they didn't have a Batman. I mentioned how I'd not had the opportunity to try one on yet and asked if I could try the white gold Pepsi. The sales person said something about how much it cost and I told him I was aware. So he let me try it on. He then took down my information for the Batman waiting list. He called within a month and I passed as I wasn't sold on Rolex at the time. Wish I'd taken the opportunity.

This:

View attachment 1345584

OK, I do love that, but probably one of these:

View attachment 1345586

View attachment 1345587
I like a lot of the Daytonas in the current catalog.

I've tried on the white gold Daytona on oysterflex. It's sublime.

an draoi

Reaction score
Would anyone with eyes better trained than mine care to comment on the condition of this watch (overall and, in particular, polishing)? If it has been polished, it looks like it was done so lightly and competently?

I'd appreciate the input.

Opethian

Reaction score
Would anyone with eyes better trained than mine care to comment on the condition of this watch (overall and, in particular, polishing)? If it has been polished, it looks like it was done so lightly and competently?

Watch is polished and it's obvious that it has been polished.
Condition looks decent though.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It looks good. I’m not crazy about the color as for some reason I find the Explorer II looks better with a black dial.

Chrono24 is reputable as far as I know.

an draoi

Reaction score
Watch is polished and it's obvious that it has been polished.
Condition looks decent though.
Obvious how? Have you just seen enough Rolex bevelled edges to be able to see the polishing immediately?

I'm a bit better when I see the watch in real life, but have little confidence in my ability to judge from photos.

Educate me!

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I’ll speak for myself only, but when looking at the lugs, I can see slight striations when I zoom in. I don’t see anything on the bezel.

an draoi

Reaction score
^ I’ll speak for myself only, but when looking at the lugs, I can see slight striations when I zoom in. I don’t see anything on the bezel.
Ah, yes. I was focusing on the edges, but I think I see where you mean.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, yes. I was focusing on the edges, but I think I see where you mean.

As @Phileas Fogg mentioned, the brushed finish on the tops of the lugs, just doesn't have the right finish compared to the factory finish. In addition, the polished sides next to the crown, do not have the perfect mirror finish that one normally would have when unpolished. Also, if you look at the clasp the Rolex "Crown"/"Coronet" has been polished to a very flat image. If unpolished it is more raised and a much crisper looking crown.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads