• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or, possibly, more.

Since we're on thought experiments here's another -- you can own only one Rolex and it can't be in steel?

This one, without hesitation

rolex-yacht-master-116655-everose-rubber-swiss-replica-solidswiss-cd-06.jpg

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since we're on thought experiments here's another -- you can own only one Rolex and it can't be in steel?
I think gold is too soft for a bracelet watch in frequent wear, so it's gotta be something in platinum.

This pretty much leaves the Day-Date or Daytona. (A handful of Oysterquartz were produced in platinum, and there are probably a few other models out there which were made as one-offs.)

I'd lean toward the Daytona, with the DD a close runner-up.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think gold is too soft for a bracelet watch in frequent wear, so it's gotta be something in platinum.
What's the main concern over time, scratching or bracelet stretch?

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the main concern over time, scratching or bracelet stretch?
It just gets rounded off and starts looking kinda ****** over time, especially on the contact areas of the bracelet. Platinum is noticeably more hard-wearing and keeps its edges far better.

Not an issue for people who are super-cautious about how they wear their watches, but that ain't me.

On the plus side, the ceramic sleeves in the bracelet pins of newer PM models drastically reduce the abrasive wear that's usually referred to as “stretch”, so that’s become a non-issue.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This pretty much leaves the Day-Date or Daytona. (A handful of Oysterquartz were produced in platinum, and there are probably a few other models out there which were made as one-offs.)

I'd lean toward the Daytona, with the DD a close runner-up.

Gold may be a soft metal, but I wear this ALL the time and it honestly doesn’t show. Keep in mind that Rolex covers their bracelet screws in ceramic (only on the DD40). Absolutely zero stretch.
95ADC637-CEE1-434C-9E7D-E32515D72B45.jpeg

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gold may be a soft metal, but I wear this ALL the time and it honestly doesn’t show. Keep in mind that Rolex covers their bracelet screws in ceramic (only on the DD40). Absolutely zero stretch. View attachment 1345141
For sure.

It's just that in the hypothetical situation where I'm limited to just one Rolex, I'm gonna be wearing it every day for everything, so I'd go with platinum for the extra toughness and the characteristic patina that it develops with wear.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For sure.

It's just that in the hypothetical situation where I'm limited to just one Rolex, I'm gonna be wearing it every day for everything, so I'd go with platinum for the extra toughness and the characteristic patina that it develops with wear.

I see your point. One last thing to consider: this watch weighs 190 pounds. In the summer, it’s not the most comfortable watch to wear. Further, it has no micro extension system. I was caught in between links and had to order a 1.5 mm link. Cost be $1,000. Platinum would be much worse. I think the best daily watch is the white gold Daytona. None of the issues I just described apply to it.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd go with the Smurf, just for something you won't see on many other wrists.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PP's waiting lists are certainly no longer chronological. That 3-year wait for a 5711 you were quoted 4 years ago? "Since you don't have a history of purchases with our boutique, then I'm afraid you're looking at another 3 - 4 years, sir." Assuming that they keep you on the list at all. Still, at least they are being open about it.

This idea of ADs selling sought-after models above MSRP - is this an exclusively north American thing? I've not seen this ever happening in the UK, although my watch purchase history does not extend very far back. If it used to be common (in the US and/or elsewhere) and is now prohibited by manufacturers - and sales to grey dealers/flippers risk cancellation of the AD's contract - then the habit of ADs selectively holding back in-demand models to motivate/reward their highest-spending customers is an understandable strategy (still frustrating though).

Wait lists at most dealers have never been chronological except with maybe a few very decent ADs. I knew one, who used to take a $500 deposit to put you on a list. He would give you an approximate time, and one would often get the watch maybe 2 months earlier than he projected. When I asked about the deposit he said it was often enough to keep would be flippers from taking up space on the wait list. However, most dealers will skip the order on the list as a favor to "Better clients."

As for ADs charging over list price, I haven't encountered a Patek AD asking over MSRP. However, years ago some Rolex ADs in the US were regularly charging over list price for steel Daytonas (anywhere from a 50% premium, to double the MSRP). From what I have heard, Rolex told US ADs they are not to do that, and I have not heard of ADs charging over list price on new pieces in a very long time.

Sorry.....stainless Daytona.

Definitely an odd transaction. However, in the past when things were slow at some dealers would make harder to get pieces available. My Dad went to an AD in 2009 asking for a steel Daytona and with some negotiating he got the watch with a 5% discount off the MSRP. Around 2013 or 2014, my wife and I popped into a jewelry store (also a Rolex AD). I had never done business with them, and while my wife was looking at jewelry, the sales man near the Rolex showcase volunteered they had a white dial steel Daytona if I was interested. I wasn't as I preferred the black dial, which I already owned.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rose gold black dial Daytona...I'm not that tough on my watches. If it were living on a deserted island, then I'd choose platinum as it is more durable than gold.

an draoi

Reaction score
Wait lists at most dealers have never been chronological except with maybe a few very decent ADs. I knew one, who used to take a $500 deposit to put you on a list. He would give you an approximate time, and one would often get the watch maybe 2 months earlier than he projected. When I asked about the deposit he said it was often enough to keep would be flippers from taking up space on the wait list. However, most dealers will skip the order on the list as a favor to "Better clients."
At the PP boutique in question, the waiting list was previously presented as chronological. (The SA stressed how rigorously it was observed, to the point of mentioning that the list was maintained in SAP - this was Switzerland, after all.) Now the message is very different. Perhaps they always secretly prioritised and now they are simply being honest about it? Or perhaps policy changed when interest in the Nautilus went from keen to bonkers? Either way, it's not really surprising and it's hard to find fault with it as a sales strategy. (Other than it being frustrating if - as you say - you're an end consumer who doesn't have the means and/or inclination to buy multiple watches in order to secure the one you want.)

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember someone, maybe on here, saying that a tool watch in precious metal is a watch for tools. ;)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads