• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opethian

Reaction score
Rolex Oyster perpetual date, 34 mm steel and gold with the engine turned Bezel.
Birth year 1988 piece that came as full set with box and punched papers that has a purchase date of 1989 but I believe it was made in 1988.
20190919_180337.jpg

an draoi

Reaction score
^ I purchased mine at the MSRP. I’m not aware of AD’s inflating prices like that. I’m sure they are not doing so out of the kindness of their hearts but due to some contractual limitations.

That’s probably why many seek out AD’s initially as they don’t want to pay 2 to 3 times the MSRP on the gray market.

I will say that when I purchased mine it was one of the most bizarre experiences ever.
What was this? Nautilus? Describe bizarre.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What was this? Nautilus? Describe bizarre.

Sorry.....stainless Daytona.

I purchased it in 2014. I honestly did not know about the whole scarcity and waitlist thing at the time.

I went into the AD, spoke with a sales associate and had connected with before about the watch. I asked if he had any to show me. He appeared confused and told me he wasn’t sure if he had any. He disappeared for a few minutes and came back. Said he still didn’t know. Went into the managers office, came out and said they might have one in the safe.

disappeared again. Saw her chatting with the manager again. Then another SA came out to help. He said they weren’t sure if they had any and the vault was locked. Another Tete-a-tete with the manager. Came out and said they are calling someone to open the vault.

vault was opened, watch came out and from there it was handled like any other transaction.

Opethian

Reaction score
Sorry.....stainless Daytona.

I purchased it in 2014. I honestly did not know about the whole scarcity and waitlist thing at the time.

I went into the AD, spoke with a sales associate and had connected with before about the watch. I asked if he had any to show me. He appeared confused and told me he wasn’t sure if he had any. He disappeared for a few minutes and came back. Said he still didn’t know. Went into the managers office, came out and said they might have one in the safe.

disappeared again. Saw her chatting with the manager again. Then another SA came out to help. He said they weren’t sure if they had any and the vault was locked. Another Tete-a-tete with the manager. Came out and said they are calling someone to open the vault.

vault was opened, watch came out and from there it was handled like any other transaction.
I never did and probably never will buy brand new Rolex from the AD, the waiting list thing is absurd.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a friend who a couple years ago or so was offered a new Batman at two different ADs while he was just browsing. He plans to buy one eventually but was not ready at the time. Did not want to tell him that when he’s ready for it, it may not be ready for him. He didn’t have the $$$ to move on it, and flipping for profit is awesome until it’s not.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or, possibly, more.

Since we're on thought experiments here's another -- you can own only one Rolex and it can't be in steel?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads