• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1B6A6D3B-805F-44C7-B4FB-3926687E8F5D.jpeg

BomTrady

Reaction score
What is a reliable US-based source for second-hand Rolex? Really looking for those with robust stock as my wife wants to see “what‘s available” in the Rolex world from trusted sources. Three came readily to mind: EWC, Bob’s Watches, and Govberg/TWB. Any other good sources with an internet presence? She‘s only interested in Rolex. At least for now. Thanks.
Try Tourneau...they are about as trusted as you can get; offering certified pre owned Rollies. I’ve also been lucky with Jomashop and Prestige both of whom provides a hit and miss inventory of high quality pre owned lux watches- mostly Rolexes.
As you clearly know, there are a lot of really good fakes out there. In some cases experts have a difficult time distinguishing the real from the fake. Many of the places being recommended to you sell their used watches for more than other less known places. But it’s probably worth it in the long run as you’re paying more because of the certification. My brother-in-law purchased a 2nd/hand Rolex a few years ago. It turned out to be real - but stolen as he found out when he sent it to Geneva for its first servicing. Although the seller refused to give him a refund, he was lucky because it was stolen from a department store and the insurance company had already paid the merchant and didn’t want to deal with the admin involved in reselling a watch; gave it to him for a price so low, even with the original price he paid, he ultimately paid significantly less than retail for what was actually a brand new watch. It’s an ice blue ceramic Daytona that finally met its demise when my nephew chucked it out the window of a 65 mph moving vehicle window during a fit of 2 year old’s rage. Lesson 1: buy certified and lesson 2: don’t try and preoccupy your 2 year old with your used and stolen Rollex.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try Tourneau...they are about as trusted as you can get; offering certified pre owned Rollies. I’ve also been lucky with Jomashop and Prestige both of whom provides a hit and miss inventory of high quality pre owned lux watches- mostly Rolexes.
As you clearly know, there are a lot of really good fakes out there. In some cases experts have a difficult time distinguishing the real from the fake. Many of the places being recommended to you sell their used watches for more than other less known places. But it’s probably worth it in the long run as you’re paying more because of the certification. My brother-in-law purchased a 2nd/hand Rolex a few years ago. It turned out to be real - but stolen as he found out when he sent it to Geneva for its first servicing. Although the seller refused to give him a refund, he was lucky because it was stolen from a department store and the insurance company had already paid the merchant and didn’t want to deal with the admin involved in reselling a watch; gave it to him for a price so low, even with the original price he paid, he ultimately paid significantly less than retail for what was actually a brand new watch. It’s an ice blue ceramic Daytona that finally met its demise when my nephew chucked it out the window of a 65 mph moving vehicle window during a fit of 2 year old’s rage. Lesson 1: buy certified and lesson 2: don’t try and preoccupy your 2 year old with your used and stolen Rollex.
Ice blue ceramic Daytona? That’s the platinum Daytona with an MSRP of like $75k!

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My manparts just retracted into my body.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally found an automatic version locally. Amazing piece of kit, virtually new and £1950. Great deal?

View attachment 1343460
That’s a nice bit of kit there PL.
I’m living in hope that Omega at Baselworld will reveal the new version of this with a GMT hand and a 24 hour scale on the rehaut kinda like the Deep Black. I’d be all over a watch like that. I quite like the latest Bond version too but not enough to pay the going rate!

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there currently a vintage watch thread on SF? I did a search but could not find anything.

I know there is a poor mans watch thread and this one, but how about specifically for vintage pieces? Would be a nice place for folks to talk about older watches, common fixes, details, years ect.

-DL

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice shot. I got mine a week after it was discontinued last year. My AD nabbed it from their other location in a different state. While I knew I liked the watch, I didn't know I'd like it as much as I do. I have a BLRO and a CHNR as well, both of which I love, but this is up there too.

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are genuinely interested, I recommend Joe Studwell's Asian Godfathers which despite the clickbaity title is actually quite a different take on the region from the usual analyses and (in my experience) not inaccurate. The parallels with the US are hard to find except perhaps with organised crime (and its tight relationship with a portion of US politics) prior to the inception of the Witness Protection Program and subsequent dismantling of the major families. Because that region drives much of the global market now, and is impacting the evolution of brands' offerings, it is worth understanding, I think.

Thanks for the recommendation. I am reading it now. As for Riva, it is too bad he was banned (as it appears to be the case). He was misunderstood here. If TheFoo wasn't banned for his wild insults in this thread, I don't understand how Riva could have been. Riva is a swell guy, and I miss his commentary.

Last edited:

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really, Riva, banned. Seems harsh.

While a douche at times, I’m high on that register, too.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As for Riva, it is too bad he was banned (as it appears to be the case). He was misunderstood here. If TheFoo wasn't banned for his wild insults in this thread, I don't understand how Riva could have been.

I didn't realise that Riva had been banned. Certainly, he was arrogant and opinionated - but so are many other people on this forum!

It does seem that "snark" is acceptable for some people, but not as acceptable for others.

Edited to add: Just had a look at Riva's member page, and it doesn't say anything about him being banned and it appears that he was logged in to SF yesterday. @Riva - What have you been up to lately? Any interesting micro-brand acquisitions?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads