• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hoping to get some info from the board on this: are there any recommended shops in NYC to get a watch strap to replace the OEM one that came with a Cartier Tank?

Camille Fournet used to have a B&M store but has now closed, although they have an e-commerce website. I'd like to know if there are any stores where I could walk in buy the strap I like, and have it installed in-store.

Any info is appreciated!

We make custom straps, but not in NYC. If you cannot find a place feel free to reach out.

-DL

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a fan of it, though I have a feeling it's gonna be too similar to his Roadster, same goes for a Tank, or maybe even the Reverso.

I would suggest a Rolex Datejust, Oyster perpetual, some possibilities from Cartier are the Drive extra-thin (Although it is a manual), a Cartier Cle (although not especially thin, but an interesting case), a Tank Americaine in steel, a Ronde Solo. I really like Reversos although I don't own one, but some find them a hit or miss in terms of fit.

Hoping to get some info from the board on this: are there any recommended shops in NYC to get a watch strap to replace the OEM one that came with a Cartier Tank?

I agree with @Texasmade , check out the Jean Rousseau boutique. I visited them simply because I was walking past the boutique and I have friends who have purchased watch straps and leather goods from them and been very pleased. They have a tremendous selection of different leathers with different textures, exotic skins with varying scale sizes to meet one's taste, and a color selection that covered most colors in the rainbow.

Last edited:

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
appreciate all the replies!

Will definitely check out JR and DL to see what my options are.

One last question: can the buckle currently on the OEM strap be swapped to the new strap without any damage to the OEM strap? Or do I need to buy another buckle as well?

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[QUOTE="CBrown85, post: 10083745, member: 64336"
Anyway- if I'm being framed as simply a jealous hater being a dick
[/QUOTE]

I don't think that, and based on other posts I've read it doesn't seem like others feel that way about you. I just think you took the post the wrong way.

As for the value of watches posted here, its a specialty thread. One sort of know the kinds of watches that will be discussed. Much like on a John Lobb or EG appreciation thread, one knows there will be discussions and photos of expensive shoes. We all have different comfort levels in terms of what we spend on a variety of things. I would simply say, that one can have a hobby involving expensive items but it doesn't mean that owners aren't good guys, or don't do generous things for family, friends, or their community or charities.

I've always just looked at this thread as a place where those of us with of love of watches can gather, chat, and share photos of our latest obsession or purchase with others who are interested in this hobby. Some have watches far more expensive than mine, some have watches that are less expensive than mine, but it doesn't affect our friendship or happiness I feel for others if they get a watch that they really like or have wanted for a long time. While "Signalling" happens in the world, at least my sense of many of the long term posters here is that most are just sharing their experiences with their online friends and it's not about showing off. Cheers!

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was wondering about Riva. Every watch to him was overpriced and just the masses following trends except for the stuff he owned.
He also liked to talk about some secret Taiwanese wealth cabal that controlled the world.
If you are genuinely interested, I recommend Joe Studwell's Asian Godfathers which despite the clickbaity title is actually quite a different take on the region from the usual analyses and (in my experience) not inaccurate. The parallels with the US are hard to find except perhaps with organised crime (and its tight relationship with a portion of US politics) prior to the inception of the Witness Protection Program and subsequent dismantling of the major families. Because that region drives much of the global market now, and is impacting the evolution of brands' offerings, it is worth understanding, I think.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would suggest a Rolex Datejust, Oyster perpetual, some possibilities from Cartier are the Drive extra-thin (Although it is a manual), a Cartier Cle (although not especially thin, but an interesting case), a Tank Americaine in steel, a Ronde Solo. I really like Reversos although I don't own one, but some find them a hit or miss in terms of fit.
That's true about the Reverso fit. He has smaller wrists, so not sure if the lug length is going to be a killer. Thanks for the suggestions, though.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

One last question: can the buckle currently on the OEM strap be swapped to the new strap without any damage to the OEM strap? Or do I need to buy another buckle as well?

easy to swap

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Should not be an issue at all, we do it all the time.

-DL

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The less popular GMT
10340F0C-0702-43C4-BB2C-66769526F10D.jpeg

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm very fascinated about watch-guy culture and the nature of materialism around it. I have so many questions now.
I also think that watches are different from other material items as personal signifiers of wealth for several reasons. First, portability. You can't bring a bicycle or audio equipment into a business meeting. Second, snobbery. The average man on the street can identify a Porsche as an expensive luxury vehicle but can't do the same for, say, Richard Mille. Collecting expensive watches is like being a member of a secret club in that way. Third, the rise of the internet, specifically Instagram and Hodinkee's Talking Watches, has made showing off your watch collecting socially acceptable.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also think that watches are different from other material items as personal signifiers of wealth for several reasons. First, portability. You can't bring a bicycle or audio equipment into a business meeting. Second, snobbery. The average man on the street can identify a Porsche as an expensive luxury vehicle but can't do the same for, say, Richard Mille. Collecting expensive watches is like being a member of a secret club in that way. Third, the rise of the internet, specifically Instagram and Hodinkee's Talking Watches, has made showing off your watch collecting socially acceptable.
I agree. Especially with the portability bit. I drive approx 5000 miles a year mostly 30 minute shuttles back and forth to the airport. That’s not a lot of exposure if I want the world to see how successful I am in a swanky car. If I bought an expensive watch to let the world know I’ve ‘made it’, it goes with me everywhere!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree with much of what you have said. Compared to a car there is certainly a stealth element to buying/owning a nice watch, particularly if it is an RM, Patek, AP, VC, JLC, Lange etc. My dad is a retired doctor. When he drove Porsches to work, he would sometimes get a variety of sometimes snide from other doctors. Sometimes from doctors with expensive boats, or big vacation homes which didn't interest my dad, but they were things one doesn't see in the doctor's parking lot on a daily basis. However, when he started keeping the nice car at home in the garage, drove an ordinary car to the hospital, and started buying/wearing a Patek or AP to work, no one noticed or ever commented. Granted those brands were not as well known before social medial as they are today...but even so they would probably go largely unrecognized by most people in his town.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads