• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@d4nimal: The new Longines Heritage Classic Sector Dial checks all your friend’s boxes.

Thanks for the suggestion - Didn't know about that watch at all. Looks kinda art deco to me, in a cool way.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear on the whole am-I-an-asshole thing, Dino took it the right way -- my intent was entirely jocular. I like Lange, others prefer different brands or even (shudder) boots. It's all good.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear on the whole am-I-an-asshole thing, Dino took it the right way -- my intent was entirely jocular. I like Lange, others prefer different brands or even (shudder) boots. It's all good.
Thinking 98% of us got you... yeah, what’s with boots... bloody galways are taking over the universe!

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm- I had an essay written, but I have the feeling that this isn't the space for conversations on what's acceptable commentary and what isn't in spaces like this (and I don't want to bother @LAGuy).

I definitely don't think you're an asshole. I'm very fascinated about watch-guy culture and the nature of materialism around it. I have so many questions now.

Last edited:

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys -

A friend asked me for watch advice I was hoping to crowd-source a bit because I don't think about this segment of watches often and am grossly underqualified - a white faced, simple dress watch he can wear w/ a suit only (he has a Cartier Roadster and some quartz watches he wears daily otherwise, so this would be for that purpose).

List of wants:
- Auto
- Minimal complications ie date and at most moonphase, no chrono
- relatively thin, size <40 mm
- any metal/case (probably steel though at this price point)
- ideally priced 5k or under, but a bit flexible on that - maybe +$2-3k if it's necessary. I didn't ask him, but he bought his Roadster new so I'm assuming the $5k price point is new also.

- Reverso came to my mind and would fit a lot of these requirements, but most are manual unless the Duetto, which is pushing the budget new. Also maybe something in the JLC Master Ultra Thin line or a Tank Solo. I like the Nomos Orion and it would come in well under budget but I know a lot of people here are not that crazy about Nomos. I'd also put the Datejust on the list and the Oyster Perpetual?

Help me please.
Nomos is great; if he likes the look, then I can't see any reason not to go for it. They're a great company that makes great watches, in my opinion.

The 36 mm Datejust and OP are also perfect.

Opethian

Reaction score
Tudor BB Bronze with custom B&S strap with the bronze buckle.
20171221_202827.jpg

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm- I had an essay written, but I have the feeling that this isn't the space for conversations on what's acceptable commentary and what isn't in spaces like this (and I don't want to bother @LAGuy).

I definitely don't think you're an asshole. I'm very fascinated about watch-guy culture and the nature of materialism around it. I have so many questions now.

is the materialism around watches any different than that shown by audiophiles, or people into expensive denim, or bicycling Or you name the hobby?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys -

A friend asked me for watch advice I was hoping to crowd-source a bit because I don't think about this segment of watches often and am grossly underqualified - a white faced, simple dress watch he can wear w/ a suit only (he has a Cartier Roadster and some quartz watches he wears daily otherwise, so this would be for that purpose).

List of wants:
- Auto
- Minimal complications ie date and at most moonphase, no chrono
- relatively thin, size <40 mm
- any metal/case (probably steel though at this price point)
- ideally priced 5k or under, but a bit flexible on that - maybe +$2-3k if it's necessary. I didn't ask him, but he bought his Roadster new so I'm assuming the $5k price point is new also.

- Reverso came to my mind and would fit a lot of these requirements, but most are manual unless the Duetto, which is pushing the budget new. Also maybe something in the JLC Master Ultra Thin line or a Tank Solo. I like the Nomos Orion and it would come in well under budget but I know a lot of people here are not that crazy about Nomos. I'd also put the Datejust on the list and the Oyster Perpetual?

Help me please.
Cartier Santos?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is the materialism around watches any different than that shown by audiophiles, or people into expensive denim, or bicycling Or you name the hobby?
I’ve rarely heard headphone companies and bicycles namedropped in rap songs, so yes, there’s more obvious wealth signaling. That said, most people who will spend hours and hours and days and years researching and discussing watches (or clothes, or whatever) with other watch people are a generally a bit different: we are nerds, in a good way. One of the reasons that I find enthusiast forums so much more fun than social media.

Oh, and just as a teaser, we are in the midst of arranging a podcast with a watch person. Don’t want to say more yet, but stay tuned.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hoping to get some info from the board on this: are there any recommended shops in NYC to get a watch strap to replace the OEM one that came with a Cartier Tank?

Camille Fournet used to have a B&M store but has now closed, although they have an e-commerce website. I'd like to know if there are any stores where I could walk in buy the strap I like, and have it installed in-store.

Any info is appreciated!

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve rarely heard headphone companies and bicycles namedropped in rap songs, so yes, there’s more obvious wealth signaling. That said, most people who will spend hours and hours and days and years researching and discussing watches (or clothes, or whatever) with other watch people are a generally a bit different: we are nerds, in a good way. One of the reasons that I find enthusiast forums so much more fun than social media.

Oh, and just as a teaser, we are in the midst of arranging a podcast with a watch person. Don’t want to say more yet, but stay tuned.

yes I suppose watches are closer to cars in that regard. My point though is that a non-enthusiast is always going to have a harder time understanding why someone would pay so much for something and more quickly chalk it up to materialism vs enthusiasm. like me...I can understand why someone would pay $50k for a watch, or $5,000 for a bespoke suit, but I have no clue why anyone would pay more than $50 for a pair of jeans.

Opethian

Reaction score
How old is this watch on you? I've heard so much about bronze patination and considered the Archimede bronze pilot a few times, but I'm not sure if I've seen any Tudor bronzes with heavy patina. Hodinkee had a nice article on the process, but that one wasn't that crazy to me either.
Well, this photo is a year old when the watch was approximately a year and a half old.
Here are fresh photos showing how the patina developed.
Patina depends on the type of alloy used and the user's habits in addition to humidity content of the weather.
Where I live is pretty hot and humid, I don't use the watch in water and it is thought that Tudor's alloy patinate better than others.
So the color is like what you see in the photos.. Nice dark bronze color like old statues but not the green oxidation that might have developed if I regularly took it into the ocean.
Sorry for the poor quality and unfastened strap,i just took it outta the box to show you the patina
20200222_223031.jpg
20200222_223054.jpg

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, this photo is a year old when the watch was approximately a year and a half old.
Here are fresh photos showing how the patina developed.
Patina depends on the type of alloy used and the user's habits in addition to humidity content of the weather.
Where I live is pretty hot and humid, I don't use the watch in water and it is thought that Tudor's alloy patinate better than others.
So the color is like what you see in the photos.. Nice dark bronze color like old statues but not the green oxidation that might have developed if I regularly took it into the ocean.
Sorry for the poor quality and unfastened strap,i just took it outta the box to show you the patina
View attachment 1341929 View attachment 1341930
That def helps, nice to see it. I like how yours has developed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads