• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Omega Male and I are on pretty good terms. I took his post mostly as a bit of good spirited joking around.

It wasn’t tasteful regardless of who it was directed towards. Listen, I’m not a class warrior, but some of the people in the men’s jewelry community really make me question our values as a society.

Edit: I’ll rephrase: Some of the choices that people make- not the people themselves, obviously. It’s really tone deaf.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Telling people to suck it, then flashing a $60k cdn watch is the epitome of bad taste.
Alright, we're all friends here. Or at least, since this is my house, at least you guys all have to tolerate each other.

I think that maybe you misread @Omega Male 's tone. His phrasing was "Suck it, haters", because a lot of people on the forum, myself included, don't really love ALS watches. I certainly did not read it as a him flexing.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
I too, read his post as a rebuttal to those who are not fans of what he likes.
I guess, those who feel that Lange is inferior to other makers?
Had no idea of it's numeric value. and decided if it was nice or not at a glance. nice.

So in that spirit, suck it. Haters.
PSX_20200222_185411.jpg

I love everything about this watch. The numbers font, the hands, the white dial with dark gray. matched to the band stitching. the calendar at 3, the etched Bezel, the case shape, all of it. the best compromise between dress, and sports. - for me. stylistically.

Last edited:

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know, I’m constantly on this site - literally every day. I spend most of my time in the shoe/boot section since that’s what interests me the most. The ONLY place where people insult and are unpleasant towards each other? Here. The watch folk. Completely unsurprising.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like ALS but I don’t like how thick there watches are...

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know, I’m constantly on this site - literally every day. I spend most of my time in the shoe/boot section since that’s what interests me the most. The ONLY place where people insult and are unpleasant towards each other? Here. The watch folk. Completely unsurprising.
You need to venture out more into other threads.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m in this thread every day and don’t sense any nastiness.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys -

A friend asked me for watch advice I was hoping to crowd-source a bit because I don't think about this segment of watches often and am grossly underqualified - a white faced, simple dress watch he can wear w/ a suit only (he has a Cartier Roadster and some quartz watches he wears daily otherwise, so this would be for that purpose).

List of wants:
- Auto
- Minimal complications ie date and at most moonphase, no chrono
- relatively thin, size <40 mm
- any metal/case (probably steel though at this price point)
- ideally priced 5k or under, but a bit flexible on that - maybe +$2-3k if it's necessary. I didn't ask him, but he bought his Roadster new so I'm assuming the $5k price point is new also.

- Reverso came to my mind and would fit a lot of these requirements, but most are manual unless the Duetto, which is pushing the budget new. Also maybe something in the JLC Master Ultra Thin line or a Tank Solo. I like the Nomos Orion and it would come in well under budget but I know a lot of people here are not that crazy about Nomos. I'd also put the Datejust on the list and the Oyster Perpetual?

Help me please.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unsurprising?
Jezz, I could go to town on many a boot wearer!
Jokes aside, why unsurprising? It is odd that you would enter a chat with a preconceived level of animosity.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@d4nimal: The new Longines Heritage Classic Sector Dial checks all your friend’s boxes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads