• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tag Heuer Monaco Calibre 11 - does anyone owns this piece? I have been a fan of Monaco square shape and blue dial since 2003! Planning to get this prior March. There will be a $900 AUD price increase in 1st March for this piece. Part of me wants to wait to see if the Heuer 02 in-house movement is offered to this model. As the caliber 12 has already been updated. I love to have in-house movement on my watches. Specially for chronograph . The new column wheel is better than the old noisy Valjoux 775. Sorry guys.

I don't have one, but a friend of mine does. He seems happy with it. He has a few Tag Heuer re-issues. He has had his Monaco for several years. He doesn't really care about in house vs. outsourced movements, or whether a movement is from JLC, F. Piguet, Zenith etc. vs something from ETA, Valjoux, Sellita. He often focuses on where he sees a good value in terms of price. Although, when he was trying to sell a bunch of watches he owned that had movements largely from ETA and Valjoux ( A Bremont, Zodiacs and a few others), he did have trouble re-selling them. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Dino944 Is your Tank XL steel or RG?

That version of the Tank Louis Cartier XL is in rose gold. It was only offered in rose gold or platinum. That version was only made from approximately 2006-2008 and it was produced in very small numbers. The current version is a little smaller, has a different movement, and is only available in rose gold, but it is very nice. Cheers!

Last edited:

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NWA... a nicely patinated 14060 that may or may not stay. Got it as a trade + Cash for my 1815. I've already got a GMT Master II and had my eye on the JLC Tribute to Deep Sea but with this in hand I might just hold off on the JLC. I do intend to dive with whichever I settle on.

I'm thinking one more watch (Birthyear Speedy) and call it quits for this year on new watches.

20200220_110058.jpg

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That version of the Tank Louis Cartier XL is in rose gold. It was only offered in rose gold or platinum. That version was only made from approximately 2006-2008 and it was produced in very small numbers. The current version is a little smaller, has a different movement, and is only available in rose gold, but it is very nice. Cheers!
very nice - I thought it was the Tank Solo at first. Is yours the extra-flat?

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NWA... a nicely patinated 14060 that may or may not stay. Got it as a trade + Cash for my 1815. I've already got a GMT Master II and had my eye on the JLC Tribute to Deep Sea but with this in hand I might just hold off on the JLC. I do intend to dive with whichever I settle on.

I'm thinking one more watch (Birthyear Speedy) and call it quits for this year on new watches.

View attachment 1340675

Having seen your collection over the years on watchuseek, I'm surprised you sold the 1815...what was the motivation there?

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
very nice - I thought it was the Tank Solo at first. Is yours the extra-flat?

No, my watch is not the Extra-Flat. It is called the Tank Louis Cartier XL, and it is from their "Collection Privee Cartier Paris" line of watches (often abbreviated CPCP or Collection Privee). This watch has the exhibition back and rectangular movement from Piaget.

The Tank Louis Cartier XL Extra-Flat came out I think about a year or two after my watch went out of production. It is longer and wider, but thinner, is powered by an F. Piguet extra flat movement and it has a solid back so you can't view the movement. It's proportions were a bit odd, resulting in a strap that seemed overly wide at the head of the watch and then tapering almost too much. It also did not have the guilloche found on the dial of the CPCP watches or even the current "Large Tank Louis Cartier."

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
F46E08E1-C19C-4077-9A7E-2B6B8F08CEAD.jpeg
B485506D-A476-4E31-90EC-22F38A638550.jpeg
C9745B7C-1D9A-4F49-982C-8B4320A0C55B.png
C37067A5-EB2D-44A0-A138-69F42D9C5293.jpeg
C1DE1019-8C06-4C96-B33E-90CF8381E4F7.jpeg

The two images at the top are of my Tank LCXL. The three below show the Tank LC XL Extra-Flat (they are images that were online). The one showing two Tanks next to each other, the Extra-Flat is on the left, while a complicated Tank is to it's right (and the complicated Tank XL is same length and width as my Tank XL). Hope that helps show some of the differences.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dino!!

yours seems to be the perfect size ??

the extra flat is also very nice but perhaps too large for a tank-style piece.

if you ever wanna unload that beauty you know who to contact =)

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dino!!

yours seems to be the perfect size ??

the extra flat is also very nice but perhaps too large for a tank-style piece.

if you ever wanna unload that beauty you know who to contact =)

Thanks! :cheers: A lot of collectors feel the same way about the size of the extra-flat. A friend initially bought an extra-flat Tank LC when it was first released, but found the proportions a bit odd. So he decided to sell it, and then waited until he found a pre-owned CPCP Tank XL that came up for sale. For me this piece is a keeper, but should something ever change I'll keep you in mind. Cheers!

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is a reliable US-based source for second-hand Rolex? Really looking for those with robust stock as my wife wants to see “what‘s available” in the Rolex world from trusted sources. Three came readily to mind: EWC, Bob’s Watches, and Govberg/TWB. Any other good sources with an internet presence? She‘s only interested in Rolex. At least for now. Thanks.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is a reliable US-based source for second-hand Rolex? Really looking for those with robust stock as my wife wants to see “what‘s available” in the Rolex world from trusted sources. Three came readily to mind: EWC, Bob’s Watches, and Govberg/TWB. Any other good sources with an internet presence? She‘s only interested in Rolex. At least for now. Thanks.
Add HQ Milton to that list, although most if their stock seems to be vintage.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i wonder if ladies' Rolices suffer the same provenance issues as some men's models in vintage/secondary markets?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics