• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had Oris Aquis in my collection few years ago. While I have no complaints on what was on offer for $800 brand new from grey dealers. Price since then have gone up and you still get the same unregulated movement (+/- 15 sec) and rather inadequate power reserve 34-38hr. The winding and date change are a bit wobbly on their movements. For significantly less you can get new Longines Hydroconquest and same rrp the Rado Captain Cook (with solid ETA 65 and 80 hrs PR). I guess what I am getting at here is that while most makers have updated their offerings- Oris stayed behind (at least in terms of their movements department).
I've never had any complaints regarding the movement, but have experienced the wobble when setting the time (it just feels a little looser than it should) on my Aquis but not my Divers 65 (which is newer). When I picked up my Aquis, I looked at the Hydroconquest as well. It was no contest in a side by side comparison. The bracelet, case design and ceramic bezel blew the Hydroconquest out of the water. It definitely looked like the cheaper watch. I have no familiarity with the Rado.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must of seen pricing for the bracelet versions, the last version (w/ 24h dial) was 80000chf which is much the same in USD.
Someone confirmed on the Rolex forums that the new resonance will have additional complications and will retail for 135K CHF. There was a limited 2019 model that’s now discontinued that retailed for under $100K.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone confirmed on the Rolex forums that the new resonance will have additional complications and will retail for 135K CHF. There was a limited 2019 model that’s now discontinued that retailed for under $100K.
Oh, sorry. I misread. Assumed you were talking about the 2019 version.
Any idea what additional complication/s?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, this hasn't been disclosed on the forums yet. But with the new 2020 model price going through the roof, people are saying grey market dealers are hoarding current models until the new release is announced to jack up prices.

Side note, I went to the FPJ AD in Houston like 2 years ago checking out their watches. They had a resonance on hand. I had no idea what the watch was and neither did the sales associate. I didn't know I was handling THE FPJ watch that he's known for (other than the Bleu).

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats and great choice. Better looking to my eye than their newer offerings and it will still take everything you can throw at it (I'm soon going into my 30th year with mine).
Congrats on your retirement and on your retirement present to yourself! Looks great! Hope you enjoy the next phase of your life. Cheers! :cheers:

Thanks gents, 28 years in uniform, now on to career #2, the sub should keep me good company.

mhm, I’m leaning towards an Omega Aqua Terra to be honest.

I had an Aqua Terra with blue face, in the large size, before they added the lines to the face, and sold it to acquire another piece on the wish list. Now I am regretting, that was a very nice watch, clean, comfortable. If I were to get another one, I would go with the medium size (38mm?)

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had an Aqua Terra with blue face, in the large size, before they added the lines to the face, and sold it to acquire another piece on the wish list. Now I am regretting, that was a very nice watch, clean, comfortable. If I were to get another one, I would go with the medium size (38mm?)

yep, that’s the one. 38.5mm seems to be the perfect size. Plus it’s the one from Skyfall which is where I first saw it!

It’s just stunning, but the only drawback is the pointed and not arrow hour hand. The symmetry isn’t there.

16335FD1-60C1-4FB8-A495-9B70CFE1F862.jpeg

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yep, that’s the one. 38.5mm seems to be the perfect size. Plus it’s the one from Skyfall which is where I first saw it!

It’s just stunning, but the only drawback is the pointed and not arrow hour hand. The symmetry isn’t there.

View attachment 1325288

The 38.5mm version felt unbalanced and too thick for me when I tried it on. I have the 41mm version and really like it.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The 38.5mm version felt unbalanced and too thick for me when I tried it on. I have the 41mm version and really like it.

@Purplelabel very nice.

@mak1277
Interesting take. I suppose if I decide to get one, I will need to try on the medium size. The larger size (now sold) always felt just a tad too large for me, hence my desire for the 38mm. I am also considering a white dial, since the blue may be too close to the recently acquired sub. Regardless, I need to enjoy the sub for a while before adding to the collection.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Purplelabel very nice.

@mak1277
Interesting take. I suppose if I decide to get one, I will need to try on the medium size. The larger size (now sold) always felt just a tad too large for me, hence my desire for the 38mm. I am also considering a white dial, since the blue may be too close to the recently acquired sub. Regardless, I need to enjoy the sub for a while before adding to the collection.

I have a maxi-case SubC and I would say it wears about the same as my 41mm AT.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ll be wearing the bracelet and not putting it on a strap, is there a taper to the clasp or is it straight like the Seamaster?

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this Geckota's Vintage Highley strap in light brown, by any chance? If so, I have my Speedy on the same strap, it is a great combination!

Cheers!

You're exactly right. Dude, Geckota makes terrific straps, and for cheap, too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads