• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oris uses sellita movements.

A quick googling says they use both Sellita and ETA movements. For the price its what I would expect and I'm happy enough with the performance of those movements.

Now, IWC using those same movements and charging $5k, well thats maybe a different story...

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh c’mon... they “decorate” the ETA. Definitely worth $4000 more than it cost to make.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I re read my own posts every morning. so are you , or are you not calling me a liar, or an amateur?
You can't just call bullshit in here, and take it to PM.

Sf can be a bitter place. but i have nothing to gain by re-sharing my most embarrassing Thrift fail. other than to carry the shame of a missed opportunity.

If I say something is real? It is. period.

As I said previously, I never called you a liar. There is no value in discussing this further, so why not drop it or PM me rather than side track this thread.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A quick googling says they use both Sellita and ETA movements. For the price its what I would expect and I'm happy enough with the performance of those movements.

Now, IWC using those same movements and charging $5k, well thats maybe a different story...

I had Oris Aquis in my collection few years ago. While I have no complaints on what was on offer for $800 brand new from grey dealers. Price since then have gone up and you still get the same unregulated movement (+/- 15 sec) and rather inadequate power reserve 34-38hr. The winding and date change are a bit wobbly on their movements. For significantly less you can get new Longines Hydroconquest and same rrp the Rado Captain Cook (with solid ETA 65 and 80 hrs PR). I guess what I am getting at here is that while most makers have updated their offerings- Oris stayed behind (at least in terms of their movements department).

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had Oris Aquis in my collection few years ago. While I have no complaints on what was on offer for $800 brand new from grey dealers. Price since then have gone up and you still get the same unregulated movement (+/- 15 sec) and rather inadequate power reserve 34-38hr. The winding and date change are a bit wobbly on their movements. For significantly less you can get new Longines Hydroconquest and same rrp the Rado Captain Cook (with solid ETA 65 and 80 hrs PR). I guess what I am getting at here is that while most makers have updated their offerings- Oris stayed behind (at least in terms of their movements department).

Thats good info to know. I like a lot of what the Longines people are putting out there these days, but my main focus is on vintage pieces that arent particularly expensive or rare. Still, this might find its way home with me at some point:

24504_0175477413167-0752058BR_horizontale.png

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else excited for the new fpj resonance in March? I'm hoping it pushes used prices of the current version down. Would love one but still too pricey for me.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone else excited for the new fpj resonance in March? I'm hoping it pushes used prices of the current version down. Would love one but still too pricey for me.
Not likely. The new one is well over $100k while the older versions went for well under $100k. Most likely the demand for the older models will increase since the new ones are priced so high.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in Orlando this week and saw a Hublot Classic Fusion Blue. I’ve trashed that brand my entire life. I kind of liked it. Like, really liked it. Don’t @ me. ??‍♂️

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not likely. The new one is well over $100k while the older versions went for well under $100k. Most likely the demand for the older models will increase since the new ones are priced so high.
You must of seen pricing for the bracelet versions, the last version (w/ 24h dial) was 80000chf which is much the same in USD.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads